PDA

View Full Version : Lift kits and tire size

Brent
11-02-2004, 01:55 PM
Hello all.
I am a newbe at this but here goes and hope that someone out their might have the answers.

I ordered a H2 SUT and should receive it in the next two weeks acording to GM.

I want to put a 6inch lift and bigger tires. Is there someone out there that has done this and if so what lift kit do you recommend and what size of tires. I see they make a 37in and 40 inch to go with the 17 inch stock wheels.

Thanks for your help.

Brent

Brent
Hello all.
I am a newbe at this but here goes and hope that someone out their might have the answers.

I want to put a 6inch lift and bigger tires. Is there someone out there that has done this and if so what lift kit do you recommend and what size of tires. I see they make a 37in and 40 inch to go with the 17 inch stock wheels.

Thanks for your help.

Brent

Brent
Hello all.

Thanks for your help.

Brent

PARAGON
11-02-2004, 02:13 PM
Here is a 10" or so lift by 3rd coast suspension: http://www.bncoffroad.com/hummer/sut/

http://bncoffroad.com/hummer/sut/images/013.jpg

Brent
11-02-2004, 02:50 PM
Thanks Paragon
Looks great but I think I will stay with a 5- 6 inch lift.
My girlfriend would never be able to get into this rig.
Brent

kacyk
11-02-2004, 03:26 PM
Hey Brent,

It's always an adventure helping beautiful women up the trucks!

timgco
11-02-2004, 05:04 PM
Two questions:

1) Do you plan on driving the truck every day and at freeway speeds often?

2) Do you plan on taking this truck off-road?

If you just like the look of the bigger tires, Many people here run 37's on the stock rims and have only slight rubbing. Anything larger on stock rims will cause issues.

kacyk
11-02-2004, 06:54 PM
You can still get a good aggressive look without a lift or even 37's. These are 35 Mud Grapplers on a stock suspension. I decided not to lift the beast due to where we live and underground parking issues.

I'd drive it for a couple of weeks then decide. But if this is a second car for you and you just want to go wheeling, then have at it.

Brent
11-03-2004, 12:58 AM
HI Tacyk

The answers to your questions
The truck will spend much more time on the freeway and pavement. I do not plan on driving everyday.
I do plan on taking truck off road but very little and not to crazy places.

Brent

Brent
11-03-2004, 01:01 AM
Sorry it was Timgco with the questions
How can you tell I am new at this.

Brent

Brent
11-03-2004, 01:03 AM
Kacyk

Do the 35 Mud Grapplers rub at all?
Would the 37inch Bf all terrain KO rub on a stock H2?

Brent

H2WildGuy
11-03-2004, 01:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kacyk:
You can still get a good aggressive look without a lift or even 37's. These are 35 Mud Grapplers on a stock suspension. I decided not to lift the beast due to where we live and underground parking issues.

I'd drive it for a couple of weeks then decide. But if this is a second car for you and you just want to go wheeling, then have at it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have seen these mud grapplers several times on FourWheeler TV or on the Outdoor channel and they seem to pack up with mud rather easy?

Anyone with them actually use them off road and have any input?????

I want some that look good but are functional also.

RIC-H0
11-03-2004, 01:46 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brent:
Kacyk

Do the 35 Mud Grapplers rub at all?
Would the 37inch Bf all terrain KO rub on a stock H2?

Brent <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have TSL SSR's in 37's on mine with an aftermarket wheel that is the same backspacing as an oem(as show in the picture). They rub just as much as the stock 35's do. If you notice when you 1st get your H2, you will notice a slight rubbing on the inner fenderwell, and that's about as bad as it will get with 37's. I have not had any issues with the 37's as far as clearance of fenders. As a matter of fact, you actually pick up an inch or so when you go to the 37's which is nice when wheeling. There are lots of folks that have been happy with 37's on the stock wheel, and to my knowledge there have been very few issues with this upgrade!
Good luck, and congrats on your new Baby!

Ric-H2

PARAGON
11-03-2004, 02:01 AM
I have 37x12.5x17 Goodyear MT/Rs on the stock wheels and have little rubbing. I also like the way it fills in the fenders a little better.

timgco
11-03-2004, 03:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brent:
HI Tacyk

The answers to your questions
The truck will spend much more time on the freeway and pavement. I do not plan on driving everyday.
I do plan on taking truck off road but very little and not to crazy places.

even though you say it will be your second vehicle.. you will want to drive this thing as much as possible. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ...At Least I do.
If you are not going to take this truck off-road much and it will be a pavement pounder, you may want to consider a 4" lift. It will handle better at the higher speeds. I know Rancho makes a 4" system for the H2 and you can still run 37's with the stock rim I believe. Do check with them or a 4wheel parts store.
I would say get your 37's on there and see if you like how it looks. If you want the truck to sit higher, than do your lift, shocks, sway bars, and all that other good stuff. A 4" with 37's looks SWEET! I have been to Moab Utah with my H2 three times since I got it and I'm VERY glad I did not have al ift on it. 37's, no lift, and still keeping that low center of gravity works for me.

Also keep in mind parking garage hieghts.
...my 2 cents.

Brent <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

timgco
11-03-2004, 03:08 AM
Here's a pic of a member's ride with a 4" kit and 37's.

kacyk
11-03-2004, 03:23 AM
The 35's rub slightly when making hard turns (but so did the OEM set). I've seen 37's on stock wheels and they look great.

BTW, I returned the Mud Grapplers for Terra Grapplers because the mud tires were just too noisy for us as a daily driver.

SOCRATES
11-03-2004, 01:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by timgco:
Here's a pic of a member's ride with a 4" kit and 37's. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, that's mine! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Actually, that picture really doesn't do it justice, as I was standing on the porch when I took it, so it doesn't appear to be as high as it actually is. I actually ended up with 5.5'' of lift after the tires and 4'' Rancho lift were installed. The height is perfect, in my opinion. A very commanding presence, but yet civil enough for the trails and everyday driving. I will post some new pictures very soon, as I have updated a few things since those were taken.

Cheers,
-Justyn

Brent
11-03-2004, 11:48 PM
Thanks guys for all your help.

Can anyone tell me how many hours it takes to install the 4 inch Rancho lift kit.
No one around here has done it so it will give me an idea of the total costs onvolved.

Can anyone recommend a good web company to order this 4 inch lift.

Thanks

Brent

SOCRATES
11-04-2004, 12:13 AM
Brent,

The install was done by the dealership -- it was their first. They had it for 4 days, but only because it was their first Hummer lift, and they wanted to take their time. I was told to stay away from the SkyJacker lift, but the 6'' Fabtech and 4'' Rancho kits both seemed to be excellent.

I can wholeheartedly recommend Trailduty.com. They gave me an excellent deal and the service was fantastic.

Cheers,
-Justyn

timgco
11-04-2004, 12:37 AM
Thanks guys for all your help.

Can anyone tell me how many hours it takes to install the 4 inch Rancho lift kit.
No one around here has done it so it will give me an idea of the total costs onvolved.

Can anyone recommend a good web company to order this 4 inch lift.
Thanks
Brent <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It should take about 6 to 8 hours for a mechanic who knows what he/ she is doing. However, I wouldn't just take this to anybody to do. What state are you in? 4Wheel Parts stores are everywhere and most do excellent work. Ask for a refference from your installer on a tahoe or 1500 P/U. And above all, make sure your front end alignment is done properly when you put the bigger tires on.

Brent
11-04-2004, 01:32 AM
Thanks Again for your info.
I am from BC, Canada eh.

We do have a couple of 4X4 shops here but none have but a lift in a hummer from what I know.

I will look at this Trailduty.com and go from there.

Brent

Brent
11-04-2004, 01:40 AM
Hi all

Is the extra 50.00 per shock between the Rancho 5000 and 9000 worth it.
If I am mostly on pavment is the 5000 good enough?

Thanks

Brent

Brent
11-04-2004, 01:47 AM
Thanks all

There is a 50.00 difference each in price between the 5000 & 9000 shocks.
Is it worth the extra 200.00

As I mentioned before most of the time it will be on pavement.

Brent

H2Beast
11-21-2004, 06:21 PM
Hello there..

Maybe late reply, cck my site and see my H2 with Rancho 4" lift kit and Goodyear MTR 40 on stock rims. Mind that lifting the car will require to change the rims as the backspacing will need to be max 4.5". I used performance wheel spacer kit. Slight rubbing but everything looks and perform just great. Remeber that ur upper control arms will need some mods. PM if u need further help

Andre
11-24-2004, 06:53 AM
RIC-H2
I love that color, don't know why they droped it. Nice truck.