PDA

View Full Version : Do I have a bad starter???

ROUSHDEMON
08-19-2010, 04:45 PM
Sooo... my turn! I've never had any issues with my H2 until now, I have 69K miles on it, went to turn it on this morning and "CLICK"..........nothing :raar:

tried it a couple of times and all I heard was click ....... turn the key again... click.... Nothing else happens, all the lights are working 100%, headlights are bright, is it the Starter???

If it is, I'd like to bang it a couple of times to see if it turns and replace it, where is the starter in an H2?

Thanks for you help.

H2 Bill
08-19-2010, 07:43 PM
Most likely the battery.

ROUSHDEMON
08-19-2010, 08:05 PM
I dont think so bro, lights are on full blast, if the battery was dead I would see the lights dimmed from the start..... seen that way too many times.
thanks for your reply though:beerchug:

IRA51
08-19-2010, 11:13 PM
I would check the battery ,than check the wires to the starter B4 you start replaceing a starter .

ROUSHDEMON
08-20-2010, 12:11 AM
Good point.. ground cables! thx.

Hellz
08-20-2010, 12:56 AM
Starter is located near the tranny.
Should be a cylinder looking thing with a smaller looking cylinder on top.

Image where the fly wheel is.. This is what the starter turns when you crank it.. Iirc, it should be on the drivers side

Scarsman
08-20-2010, 01:46 AM
On my 2005 it is on the passenger side. I would try hoooking up jumper cables real quick and just see what happens. If it still clicks, then try putting power directly to the starter. You can jump across the solenoid on the starter and see if it is bad, but you need to know the correct two posts to do it with. One will be the large one with the cable coming from the battery. I have not looked that close on this truck so I don't know how many other posts there are. Some have just one small post, some have two or three. One of the small post will activate the starter when power is applied to it. If you can make it work that way, then you know the solenoid is bad.

Hummeron37s
08-20-2010, 03:55 AM
When my strter went bad it did the same clicking. I checked all the cables and tested my battery. Then I took jumper cables and hooked them up. The extra power gave the starter a boost and it cranked. I drove to the autoparts store, left it running while I went in and grab a starter, went home and replaced it in about 30 minutes. It is on the passanger side just infront of the front door. It has 2 bolts holding it in and 3 posts. Make sure you disconnect your battery before trying to replace it.

ROUSHDEMON
08-20-2010, 05:42 AM
Thanks guys, I appreciate your advice.... So check this out...

I finally got home this evening and went under the starter and tried turning on the rig with the remote start... the click I was hearing was actually a huge SPARK right out of the top of the starter... I went WHOAAA.... not good, I know starters dont spark just like that, so I check the connections to see if it was a loose cable, wasn't that either, tried it again and SPARK! again!... after I looked around with a mirror turned out that the edge of the top metal plate that covers the starter had been rubbing on one of the cables for a while and cut all the way into the metal causing it to spark and not start obviously....:twak:

So... EASY fix, glad it wasn't anything serious:fdance:

But thanks to everyone for your advice! much appreciated!!!:beerchug: