PDA

View Full Version : Removing the spare wheel

BLUETHUNDER
08-25-2010, 06:53 PM
I want to remove the spare wheel on my 03 H2 so i can get some more room in the back.Thing is how prone are the OEM tyres to punctures???. I intend to carry a few cans of puncture foam in place of the spare.

One happy english H2 owner in a sea of Range Rovers and RRS.:)

Boss Hoss
08-26-2010, 04:18 PM
Thing is how prone are the OEM tyres to punctures???.

Great news! Many Brits do not know this but the H2 does not come stock with tyres so you have nothing to worry about!:dancingbanana: :dancingbanana:

That being said, ive never had a flat in 95k miles. I have had nails in the tread but the tread is deep enough that the nails have have no impact.

Olfart
08-26-2010, 05:00 PM
Murphy's Law as applied to tyres(tires)

A tire will only go flat when you are over 100 mles from home and your spare is in the garage:jump:

Scarsman
08-26-2010, 06:17 PM
Murphy's Law as applied to tyres(tires)

A tire will only go flat when you are over 100 mles from home and your spare is in the garage:jump:

:iagree: I have indeed found this to be true. As a former tire guy I would not rely on cans of fixaflat. And the tire guys will hate you when you bring a tire in full of it.

Why not find an external rear carrier? I thought it might be a pain in the butt for getting into the back, but it really is not a hassel at all.

twr
08-27-2010, 02:14 AM
Hi i just took mt rear outside tire carrier off because its was a PITA in the winter the safety pin would freeze and in parking lots with cars parked beside opening it up was a pain. I have a compressor in the back to fill a slow leak. If i get a flat i will call a tow truck. I also can notice the difference in weight back their going over bumps. But this just what i think, to each his own.

splne1
08-27-2010, 02:48 AM
HMMM never had a flat yet been almost 3 years without a spare!!! But I got TOYOS :dancingbanana:

wingn69
08-27-2010, 01:15 PM
CALL ADAC mate is what I have to do because the jack was removed to put my sub boxes in and the spare tyre/tire or 5th wheel is a 17in rim and I run 22in now.:shhh:

The_Yeti
08-28-2010, 01:50 AM
I took mine out awhile ago as well. I only toss it in if going on a long trip or off roading. Have thought about running an external. Would look tough with a rockstar and mud grappler hanging off the back.

Biskxp
08-29-2010, 02:01 PM
Moved mine to the rear - got a rear carrier for ?160 off ebay. Now have a load of space. Got my 1st puncture 300 miles from home.

guruerror
08-29-2010, 03:00 PM
One flat in 65,000 miles with the stock BFG All Terrains...a shard of metal I picked up on a trail. Luckily it caused a slow leak...I didn't even know I had it until the next morning when I walked out of the hotel room. If you go off road frequently I wouldn't go without a spare...especially if you go FAR off-road where a tow truck can't reach.

One other thing to consider...even if you don't go off road, but you go far from home, it's not always easy to find a shop that keeps the OEM BFGs in stock. If I didn't have my spare I'd have been stuck in Flagstaff, Arizona (about 3,000 miles from home) waiting on a tire to be delivered. Lucky me...I discovered my flat on a SUNDAY morning.

Regarding tire carriers...I got rid of my interior carrier and went with an OEM exterior one. No real complaints about the exterior unit. It's great to have the interior room back.

HummerMann
08-30-2010, 01:33 PM
I've never had a flat either on my H2 and I visit lots of dirty constructions sites, but I must admit, there are times with my SUT I would like to put down the back gate and carry some long lumber or ladders. Even at times with the back window and back seat folded down flat there are those rare times I wish I could keep the back tailgate down. I got 58,000 miles out of my first set of BFG All Terrains and pulled a nail or two out of them and they kept air!

VegasGuy
09-01-2010, 05:48 PM
Why not find an external rear carrier? I thought it might be a pain in the butt for getting into the back, but it really is not a hassel at all.

That's the route I took. The wife HATED the tire smell inside the H2. I bought an external carrier off of Craig's List for $300. I have not found the carrier to be an inconvenience at all.

Intercooled
09-01-2010, 10:10 PM
I was considering removeing my exterior carrier as well. Last year I had a blow out about 10 miles from home heading down the highway. I remeber hearing a clunk and then the right front sunk down as I pulled over to the side. I must have hit something and then threw it. Nice gash in the side wall. I often wonder if i was vandleized and didnt know it. I had only 25K on the tires. I must say I was glad to have the spare on there. The stock jack and wrench was adequate and worked just fine on the level surface too.