PDA

View Full Version : powder coat on OE wheels?

seventwozero
09-01-2010, 09:18 PM
Is the tan'ish looking color on the stock wheels a powder coat? Or is it some sort of paint with a clear? I'm lining up a date to run my wheels up to a powder coater and the guy doing the work said if its a powder coat he can hot tank the wheels to strip them instead of having me get them blasted locally.

Thanks fellas! :excited:

Scarsman
09-01-2010, 10:01 PM
Is the tan'ish looking color on the stock wheels a powder coat? Or is it some sort of paint with a clear? I'm lining up a date to run my wheels up to a powder coater and the guy doing the work said if its a powder coat he can hot tank the wheels to strip them instead of having me get them blasted locally.

Thanks fellas! :excited:

I have a set that I took to the sand blaster. I thought they were paint/clearcoat finish, but when he started blasting them he said it is a really thick powder coat. Ended up costing a bit more because it took longer to blast the powder coat off. I would let the powder coat guy tank them.

seventwozero
09-01-2010, 11:10 PM
I have a set that I took to the sand blaster. I thought they were paint/clearcoat finish, but when he started blasting them he said it is a really thick powder coat. Ended up costing a bit more because it took longer to blast the powder coat off. I would let the powder coat guy tank them.

I think its your thread that I was reading that made me double check. My powder coat guy is doing the work for cost of materials (next to nothing!) so I figured I'd double check before spending the coin at a blaster :jump:

scottminor
09-04-2010, 04:51 AM
I tried to strip my factory wheels using aircraft stripper. It is a serious baked on clear that I spend almost 100 bucks in stripper on. Its a waste of time to try and strip them your self. Take them to a good powder coater. I used Miller Custom Coatings here in Atlanta. 65 a wheel. 2 coats of powder and the blasting was included.

scottminor
09-07-2010, 03:10 AM
Satin black powder coated.

seventwozero
09-07-2010, 05:17 AM
Nice lookin wheels! I got a little lazy over the holiday and didn't get around to getting them out to my guy so the wheels will have to wait till next week when I'm done with my shift. I think I'm going to go with a black 'crinkle' finish, identical to the coating on Mid Atlantic equipment racks, wrapped in some Toyo MT's... I get a little bothered just thinking about it :excited:

guruerror
09-07-2010, 02:37 PM
Satin black powder coated.

Sweet! I like the look without the caps!

I don't know much about powder coating...so I'll ask some dumb questions:

Would this work on the chrome rims?
How does it hold up to abuse?
Any problems with it scraping off during tire mounting?

Thanks in advance.

Scarsman
09-07-2010, 06:49 PM
Sweet! I like the look without the caps!

I don't know much about powder coating...so I'll ask some dumb questions:

Would this work on the chrome rims?
How does it hold up to abuse?
Any problems with it scraping off during tire mounting?

Thanks in advance.

No; you would need to have them blasted or stripped somehow.

It is pretty tough, but it can and will chip if it gets hit by rocks and such. Very resistant to scratching, not so much to impact.

Not if you have a tire guy with half a brain. As long as they are using lube and nylon guards on the tire bars they will be fine.

scottminor
09-10-2010, 06:14 AM
If you pickup some painted wheels, when they are stripped the surface will be very rough. This is due to the media blasting used to strip them. The powder will melt into the pourus surface and cause it to almost bond to the wheel. That is what my guy told me. He is a relative of a friend so I trust him. He has coated many wheels with good results.

http://www.millerpowdercoating.com/

Scarsman
09-10-2010, 07:03 PM
If you pickup some painted wheels, when they are stripped the surface will be very rough. This is due to the media blasting used to strip them. The powder will melt into the pourus surface and cause it to almost bond to the wheel. That is what my guy told me. He is a relative of a friend so I trust him. He has coated many wheels with good results.

http://www.millerpowdercoating.com/

Yep, it really bonds well. The powder is sprayed on and then it is baked in an oven, which opens up the pores of the metal even more. The powder melts right in and smooths over in the heat. That is why it takes extra work to blast it all off.

guruerror
09-11-2010, 12:26 AM
Okay...here's a question. My Line-X guy wanted to know if I wanted my rims Line-X'ed...what do you guys think about that?

My initial thoughts were:

1. Might be hard to get the balancing weights on the rim.
2. Might impact the balance in general due to the thickness of the coating.
3. Might look pretty BAD ASS (especially without the caps like Scott's)

Just a thought...half my truck's coated in Line-X...why stop now?! :D

ROUSHDEMON
09-11-2010, 01:52 AM
half my truck's coated in Line-X...why stop now?! :D

Sh*t man, you should just spray the whole truck with Line-x...tare some jumgles up with no scratchies, HA!!!!!!

guruerror
09-11-2010, 02:10 AM
Yeah...told the dude soon I'll be in a Line-X cacoon.

Nothing wrong with that...at least I'll be scratch free (like you said). There's enough 'battle scars' on the truck already to justify a Line-X paint job. Maybe I SHOULD just spray the whole truck and be done with it! LOL!

seventwozero
09-20-2010, 10:14 PM
Just dropped the wheels off at a local sandblaster :excited: There was a bunch of corrosion on the back sides from poor care in the MN winters, plus all the crap around the bead of the tire so instead of hot tanking them I'm paying $20/wheel to get them cleaned up. I'll take a pic or two when I get them back, before I take em off to the coaters!

Also, tires ordered from Tim, should be here a week from Thursday! :jump:

scottminor
09-21-2010, 01:46 AM
Please post a picture when you have them mounted!

vetteSUT
09-21-2010, 07:05 AM
just don't Linex-overkill your truck! :giggling:

seventwozero
09-24-2010, 10:29 PM
Just picked them up from the blaster, the wheels look pretty neat in raw metal. The guy I'm having coat them only runs his machine once a week so hopefully he runs it tuesday, got an email from Tim saying my tires will be here Wednesday and I'm done with work that night :excited: If all goes well I'll be mounted and muddy by Thursday!