PDA

View Full Version : My Diff Exploded!

HoleHog
09-05-2010, 09:21 PM
Has anyone seen/heard/experienced the following problem with front diff on H2. I need some proof to show my Warranty company.

My front diff Exploded! So I took her to my usual shop and they were not helpful. They always have to wait for the warranty adjuster to come over and inspect it before approval is given if the fix is over $1500. Well when he arrived and took some photos, he then told the Warranty company he believed it to be externally (or driver) damaged. Riiiiiiight. So because there's some scratches on the skid plate, that means a large boulder or something snuck in there and smashed a giant hole in the diff. Yah.

So they said no to warranty coverage, which of course I was not about to accept. And not only that, but the original shop told the warranty company when they were asked for their opinion, that they didn't want to 'get involved' - Unreal!

I took it for a second opinion.

The shop I then took it to...and he one that will ALWAYS get my work now, is called Offroad Canada here in Lethbridge, Alberta. He took a look and immediately said 'No way this is external damage.' He did a little research while he was looking for a diff for me and found out this is a common problem! 3 of the places he called told him they'd seen this before more than once!

So on Tuesday I will order a diff he finally found for me in Grand Prairie, and by weeks end it should be installed. In the meantime he told me he will go to bat for me with the Warranty company and we both believe I will win.

As you can see by the pic attached, this was 'Catastrophic Failure' of this unit. Crazy crazy sh*t.

HUMTECH
09-06-2010, 02:05 AM
Looks pretty dry, was it cleaned for pictures? Or did you have a leak and ran it out of gear oil. Myself ihave not seenfailures like this without running out of oil or a mount bolt coming loose and then the diff impacts somehing

HUMTECH
09-06-2010, 02:08 AM
Also could be a bad setup on the gears, hard too see n the pic but on the second tooth from the top wear pattern appears to run off the end of the crown gear

twr
09-06-2010, 02:14 AM
hi i agree with humtech, is the ring and pinion broken or siezed?

twr
09-06-2010, 02:17 AM
Also could be a bad setup on the gears, hard too see n the pic but on the second tooth from the top wear pattern appears to run off the end of the crown gear
Hi i wouldn't go by the picture humtech, i see what you see but its a picture to hard to tell. Holehog was their alot of noise in the front axle before it broke?

Easy Ed
09-06-2010, 03:22 AM
http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12515&highlight=Front+Diff

twr
09-06-2010, 02:12 PM
Hi Ed, that threads picture of damage is called shock load. I am not sure if that is the case here or not. HoleHog were you playing around when that happened?

Easy Ed
09-06-2010, 10:34 PM
Yeah, I was reading that also and was just "throwing it out there" as a thought.

Hi Ed, that threads picture of damage is called shock load. I am not sure if that is the case here or not. HoleHog were you playing around when that happened?

thefinestimage
09-06-2010, 11:31 PM
About a year after I bought my H2, the front diff was leaking bad. The service tech noticed it, after some back and forth talk, they said they would cover it. It seemed as if something inside imploded, and push itself out of the diff case. Took 10 days to get a new one and for them to install it. They said they don't carry those. Not a problem since.

At first, they acted as if I too damaged it, as they all know I take it off road. Atleast with mine you could clearly see that it was internal part failure.

HUMTECH
09-07-2010, 02:19 AM
Hi i wouldn't go by the picture humtech, i see what you see but its a picture to hard to tell. Holehog was their alot of noise in the front axle before it broke?I hear ya, hard t tell from pictures. Bad setup wont cause this failure anyway but if bearings were startng to wear at a high rate due to no oil you can see bad patterns, without the full story hard to tell for sure

Ed G.
09-07-2010, 04:26 AM
It looks like offroad damage to me. The diff's that I've seen fail have metal sticking out from the cover, the weakest point. To have a case break like that takes a serious hit.

Easy Ed
09-08-2010, 01:37 AM
Looking at both pics it looks as though both broke in the same place or real damn close, pics just taken from a different angle.

Wondering if HoleHog got it taken care of and why we haven't heard an answer back on how hard they ran it when it broke ????