PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to the forum with a few questions...

EricJ
07-01-2005, 01:32 PM
Sometime in late July early August I will be ordering an H3 with the GMS. Since the Slate Blue is now available I will likely order a Slate Blue Adventure with Cashmere cloth interior and a sunroof.

One of my questions is how is the 5-speed compared to the auto. All of my other vehicles are 5-6 speed sporty cars and I like the short throw of these cars. For those who own the 5-speed how is the shifter? Also isn't the towing ability slightly less with the 5-speed?

This is a great resource for hummer owners and its great to be here.

EricJ

EricJ
07-01-2005, 01:32 PM
Sometime in late July early August I will be ordering an H3 with the GMS. Since the Slate Blue is now available I will likely order a Slate Blue Adventure with Cashmere cloth interior and a sunroof.

One of my questions is how is the 5-speed compared to the auto. All of my other vehicles are 5-6 speed sporty cars and I like the short throw of these cars. For those who own the 5-speed how is the shifter? Also isn't the towing ability slightly less with the 5-speed?

This is a great resource for hummer owners and its great to be here.

EricJ

HummerNewbie
07-01-2005, 02:06 PM
Welcome to the forum Eric. I have not driven the 5 speed but if you are used to sports cars then the manual is probably the way to go for you. The auto won't have the same pickup the manual has and you are already used to it in driving conditions of your area.

Hummer Guy
07-02-2005, 03:53 PM
Towing is slightly less, and you also won't have stabilitrak w/ the manual. I'm used to a 6spd short throw, and this shifter is definately a truck shifter. Much smoother than my 6spd, though...

-brian

firm
07-02-2005, 07:29 PM
Have you seen the size of the shifter in the H3 manual? It's huge.

Rocky Mts
07-03-2005, 04:55 PM
<span class="ev_code_BLUE">I test-drove both an automatic and a manual this week (not yet an owner), and I'd say that the manual has slightly better acceleration. I'd prefer it, but not by much. Right now, it's hard to find a manual in anything other than a base model, but if you're going to order that won't be a problem.</span>

EricJ
07-04-2005, 01:13 PM
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I guess I really need to try and drive a standard before I decide. I may have to plan a day trip up to Sewell when I know they have a 5-speed I can drive.

Hummer Guy
07-05-2005, 01:34 PM
Sewell Dallas has two...one red, one white. Red is in the showroom.

-brian

EricJ
07-09-2005, 02:04 PM
I drove a 5-speed yesterday and I was very impressed. The shifter was smooth and shorter than expected. I will be getting a 5-speed.

MisterE
07-09-2005, 05:26 PM
I drove the manual and have the auto. I have to say hands down I LOVED the manual and would have preferred it. However, I have a lot of stop and go driving (I'm almost exclusively city) and it is just a pain to keep going from 1,2,3 and back most times I wouldn't make it to fourth or fifth.

I can it was great shifting for essentially a truck. My last stick was a 96 Sonoma and it was a mile and half long between gears, this was much tighter. Plus a stick is just so much more fun to drive...just don't try to eat on the way to work or answer you cell ;-)