PDA

View Full Version : Battery not charging in Dash!

hurricane
10-18-2010, 10:44 PM
hi guys

i was riding normally in the streets and everything was ok no problems .. then the battery guage went down and got Battery not charging in dash ... i didnt stop the car and went back home, i parked it, and shut it off, now i cant run the engine.. the battery seems fine... remote key is working good while the car is off.. but i dont know where's the problem?

anyone can help?

hurricane
10-18-2010, 10:54 PM
could it be a bad altenator? not charging the battery? if yes how to make sure its the altenator?

if the altenator died the car will not start right? i mean cant the car start with the battery only? or it will? cause when i try to start it i hear a voice and it cant start...

Scarsman
10-19-2010, 06:13 AM
could it be a bad altenator? not charging the battery? if yes how to make sure its the altenator?

if the altenator died the car will not start right? i mean cant the car start with the battery only? or it will? cause when i try to start it i hear a voice and it cant start...

If the alternator is bad it will still start and run as long as the battery has enough power to do so. But, without the alternator, the batter is like a fule tank, and will run out of power. Then you are dead right there.

If you can jump start it, then it is probably the alternator. If you have a volt meter you can test the output of the alternator with it running. It should be about 14 volts. I would try jumping it and see if that works. Or if you have a battery charger you could charge the battery and then see if it starts. If it does, then try unhooking the battery while it is running. If it dies then you know it is the alternator.

H2R
10-19-2010, 02:42 PM
I would try to remove the battery and take it to a shop where it can be load tested. Sometimes batteries will show voltage of 12 volts but can not handle loads. Then it might be pratical to check other areas.

Scarsman
10-19-2010, 05:23 PM
I would try to remove the battery and take it to a shop where it can be load tested. Sometimes batteries will show voltage of 12 volts but can not handle loads. Then it might be pratical to check other areas.

Agreed, for testing the battery. You can;t check the battery with just a volt meter. It needs to be charged and then load tested.

Hellz
10-19-2010, 06:10 PM
you can go to almost any auto parts store, and they will test the battery on the spot for you.

another thing, you can bypass the alt all together by running a cable from the battery directly to the starter. if it cranks the starter, should narrow it down. if it doesnt crank the starter, then....

hurricane
10-19-2010, 08:35 PM
i got it fixed ...

problem was the alternator ... completley dead and sucked the battery while i was riding back home ...

bought new eom alternator and new battery but my battery guage on the dash went dead.. i think from removing the battery + and - ... anyway i have alot of broken guages hehe its not a problem cuz my fuel and temp guages are working :p thanks guys for the help....

hurricane
10-19-2010, 08:43 PM
i'm thinking of removing my xenon headlight kit ... does it effect the altenator?

Scarsman
10-20-2010, 05:46 PM
i'm thinking of removing my xenon headlight kit ... does it effect the altenator?

Well, only in that it draws power when they are on. If they draw a huge mount, then it can put extra strain on the alternator, but they are not likely to cause a problem.

Hellz
10-20-2010, 06:07 PM
did you just put in a OEM altenator? or did you upgrade to a higher output one?

iirc the OEM one is only 145 amps

i like the mean green 220 amp alt, just dont like the $450 price tag

twr
10-21-2010, 12:09 AM

Hi xenon hid lights draw less amps than a normal 9007 bulb by about 1 to 2 amps. So leave them in it has nothing to do with your X battery problem.