PDA

View Full Version : Possible bad fan clutch

Mark Morrison
10-20-2010, 02:27 AM
I recently purchased a 2006 Fusion Orange H2. I just love the vehicle and am getting up to speed on these great vehicles. My H2 has made an odd noise since I purchased it, but at the time, I figured it was a belt noise and that I would fix it when I had time. Tonight I was changing the oil and looked at the "belt noise", but noticed that my fan was always engaged and the noise appears to be coming from the fan area. Any further ideas or comments on the fan clutch on these?

twr
10-20-2010, 03:37 AM
Hi when the engine is cold, the clutch is essentially disengaged. As the engine warms up, the air flowing to the fan assembly becomes hotter. The hotter air causes clutch to lock up. Their should be some resistance when cold turning it by hand, but if you cannot turn it by hand the clutch is lock on and should be replaced. Hope this helps and welcome to the forum.

Mark Morrison
10-21-2010, 02:12 PM
I think I figured it out. I believe that my belt tensioner is bad/going bad. I have ordered the tensioner and a new belt so we will see if this cures the noise I am hearing.

twr
10-21-2010, 09:22 PM
Hi the belt tensioner bearing is a common problem with alot hummers and other GM.