PDA

View Full Version : More cans of bed liner...

guruerror
11-16-2010, 08:37 PM
Many of you know that I have a problem with 'stick-on' truck attachments...emblems, plastic-chrome, etc. Just when I thought I had eliminated all the 3M tape from the exterior of my vehicle I discovered something that I missed...something that I use everyday...

...the HUMMER sill plates!

So, with some free time to spare this past weekend I pried those suckers off, cleaned and lightly sanded the door sills, taped them off and got my trusty, spray-on bedliner out for some work.

I taped off the pillars one inch below the door hinges...taped off the rear door sill even with the crease in the exterior just in front of the rear wheel well...and taped off the molding along the bottom of the truck. So the bedliner coats the entire sill of both front and back doors and the exterior down to the base molding.

Here's a pic of the rear drivers-side door:
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i271/guruerror/833a7d64.jpg
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i271/guruerror/95d9af69.jpg

Center pillar/hinge for rear passenger door:
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i271/guruerror/71429d5a.jpg

Front, drivers-side door hinge cut-off:
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i271/guruerror/c9012b53.jpg

I'll grab more pics tomorrow to give ya'll a better idea of the finished product...I ran out of light...who invented Daylight Savings Time anyway?

I'm MUCH happier with this look. It killed several birds with one stone:

Didn't lose grippiness...in fact I have a much larger grippy surface area now
Eliminated all the nicks and scratches that have been building up in on the sills
Made it more resistant to nicks and scratches
Eliminated the 'dirt catchers'...there was always dirt, sand, etc. collecting around the original sill plates
Matched it right up to my Line-X coated trim pieces

I thought about having them actually done in Line-X...but I didn't want to deal with taking the doors off, removing all the trim, having them tape off my interior...the spray can just seemed easier; plus I can always do that later if I find this doesn't wear well over time.

Just thought I'd share.

Hellz
11-16-2010, 11:46 PM
how does the liner contrast with your paintjob?

i have thougth of the doing this as my sills look liek crap, and the tochup paint doesnt last long at all. so now i have rust colored chips and scratchs all over the step area.

can you take a pic with the whole door frame so i can see how it looks?

my major thing with the bedliner is i hate how it turns to a ash grey/black..
i wish it would just stay black.

i really want to Line-x my front grill, but would hate to have a ash colored front grill on a black H2

guruerror
11-17-2010, 06:27 PM
The photo below gives you a close-up of all three textures: black paint (dirty), Line-Xed fender and rocker trim, and the spray-on bedliner on the bit below the doors.

I had the Line-X work done over a year ago and I've found that it maintains it's 'blackness' much better then the OEM plastic, plus if you hit it with some soap and water and spray some of the 'wet tire' stuff on it it stays jet black (like brand new) for quiet some time.

I had to take this photo up close because from a distance it's hard to notice that the bottom piece has been sprayed with the bedliner. From certain angles it's obvious due to the texture of the spray...from others it just looks like black paint. It's definitely NOT as dark black as the paint...as you can see in the close-up photos above.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i271/guruerror/93b3e77f.jpg

slippy
11-17-2010, 11:19 PM
did you primer before spraying or just sand off the clear coat?

what type of bedliner spray can did you use? it looks good :clapping:

guruerror
11-17-2010, 11:28 PM
I lightly sanded the clear coat with some 320 grit. The bedliner I used was Duplicolor...I like it better than the Rustoleum.

I put three coats on...I'm gonna monitor how it wears for a while...I may put on a few more coats to build it up more. Both Rustoleum and Duplicolor call for about three coats when used in a truck bed, but I'd rather over protect it then under.

Thanks!

seventwozero
11-18-2010, 12:19 AM
Looks real good!

I'd like to get some line-x'ing done myself but the local line-x shop want me to grab my ankles to have it done, and he's not willing to buy me dinner first! :violin:

guruerror
11-18-2010, 01:16 AM
Looks real good!

I'd like to get some line-x'ing done myself but the local line-x shop want me to grab my ankles to have it done, and he's not willing to buy me dinner first! :violin:
I saved myself some dough with my dealer by removing the parts myself...check out this thread: http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40123

guruerror
11-19-2010, 02:35 AM
how does the liner contrast with your paintjob?

i have thougth of the doing this as my sills look liek crap, and the tochup paint doesnt last long at all. so now i have rust colored chips and scratchs all over the step area.

can you take a pic with the whole door frame so i can see how it looks?

my major thing with the bedliner is i hate how it turns to a ash grey/black..
i wish it would just stay black.

i really want to Line-x my front grill, but would hate to have a ash colored front grill on a black H2

To avoid the fading you could do Line-X Xtra...I think they guarantee that it won't fade and they can paint match.

tcalz06
11-19-2010, 04:35 PM
If you are in a area like Arizona don't believe the no fade BS. I had one of my trucks done and in 18months it was cooked

Let us know how this stuff holds up I like it for the plastic trim pieces

guruerror
11-19-2010, 04:42 PM
If you are in a area like Arizona don't believe the no fade BS. I had one of my trucks done and in 18months it was cooked

Let us know how this stuff holds up I like it for the plastic trim pieces
...but was it Line-X or Line-X Xtra? The Xtra is supposed to be more resistant to fading.

timgco
11-19-2010, 11:01 PM
Nice job! AS long as you prep the surface and do 3 coats, it should hold up OK. If you didn;t prep good enough, it will peel..no big deal, just scrape it of and try again. I like the look of it.

tcalz06
11-21-2010, 07:34 PM
...but was it Line-X or Line-X Xtra? The Xtra is supposed to be more resistant to fading.

I'd have to go look at my receipt and it was several years ago but I can tell you it wasn't the standard Line X. They claimed it wouldn't fade and it was better.

They could have made it better since I bought my truck but the thing is stick something out in the AZ sun. Everything fades.

Savannah
02-25-2013, 09:19 PM
Do you know the best what to remove old sill trim plates and install new?

LoJac963
02-26-2013, 03:05 AM
very interesting, I like it and definitely love the Line-X you've done everywhere. What type of bedliner are you using, rattle ran (I'm assuming) and not the roll on stuff?

I too have thought about doing some parts.