PDA

View Full Version : Daytime running light question

rambito85
11-17-2010, 12:35 AM
I have an 03 H2 and i was wondering if i could run my DRL as well as the regular lights at night. i have seen some with both of them on at night, is this only a feature on the newer models or do i have to buy a separate switch for them? thanks for the help!

twr
11-17-2010, 12:42 AM
Hi here is a link to DRL mod for your truck its a long thread http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11346&highlight=drl

guruerror
11-18-2010, 01:03 AM
The diode mod's a real piece of cake...you'll have it done in 10 minutes.

cecil-1
11-18-2010, 01:54 AM
Rambito85 Where in NY are ya? I have 2 extras made up (diodes came in a pack of 3) if ya want one. Im in Corning area.
Tim

DRTYFN
11-18-2010, 02:15 AM
Better to just yank the stock DRLs and replace them with PIAAs or some new round LED lights. The stockers are a waste and you'll be replacing bulbs all the time.

guruerror
11-18-2010, 02:26 AM
Better to just yank the stock DRLs and replace them with PIAAs or some new round LED lights. The stockers are a waste and you'll be replacing bulbs all the time.
If you're going for 'functionality' as off-road/fog lights, I would agree, replace the lamps with something brighter...I'm partial to incandescent bulbs over LEDs as they keep a stock look. In my opinion, if you go LED, you have to go LED all the way around. It drives me crazy when people mis-match LED with incandescent and/or mix HID-style lights with standard. I like a consistent look for my lights.

...if you're merely going for the 'look' of having the DRL on with the headlights, then I would recommend staying with the stock lamps. I've had mine wired with the diode mod for the last two years and I have yet to replace a bulb.

rambito85
11-18-2010, 07:20 PM
guruerror thanks for all the advice im in the long island area so not to many off roading here so i would stick with the stock lights. unfortunately im an idiot and new to this so can you please tell me where i can purchase the diode and part #. I was going to jump the circuits as shown in the first post but with the diode during the day my driving lights wont be on correct?

guruerror
11-18-2010, 07:48 PM
OK everyone, here's the cat's meow. I placed a diode, purchased at RadioShack, in line with the same wiring connection shown in the previous pictures posted by NSXTC. The diode allows current to flow only in one direction. Now my DRLs turn on with the parking lights, but the parking lights stay off during daylight hours. I checked the current across this connection with my voltmeter and it measures only 125mA, that's 0.125 Amps. I used a 200V 1A Silicon Diode from RadioShack (part No. 276-1102 "1N4003 Micromini Silicon Diode") and soldered it to the 20g wire I used. Covered the connections with heat shrink tubing. The diode only works in one direction, put it on backwards and it won't work. We'll see how long it lasts. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

rambito85: On the second page of the thread referenced above Mango added info about using a diode (part number above) instead of a wire to jump the two location in the fuse box. The diode allows current to flow in only one direction...the result is your parking lights will power your DRLs when you turn your headlights on, but your DRLs will NOT power your parking lights when your headlights are off.

Let me know if you need any more info.

jrs2005
11-22-2010, 02:04 PM
The picture does not show a diode. Do we need one? If so what size and direction?

thanks

guruerror
11-22-2010, 02:57 PM
The picture does not show a diode. Do we need one? If so what size and direction?

thanks
The picture of the mod in the other thread was the 'first' mod...if you use a plain wire your parking lights will power your DRLs when you turn the headlights on (which is what people seeking this mod want to achieve), BUT the DRLs will also power your parking lights when your headlights are off (not as cool...your parking lights will always be on when the truck is running).

The diode was added to the mod later because a diode only allows current to flow in one direction. Therefore, when inserted in the proper direction the parking lights will power the DRLs when your headlights are on, BUT the DRLs will NOT power your parking lights when your headlights are off.

Regarding which diode to buy...scroll up and read my last post.

Regarding the direction to insert the diode (from post #34 http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11346&page=2&highlight=drl+diode):
I think the cathode side (side with bar marking) faces the parking light relay. Just turn on your headlights the make the connections temporarily and see what happens. When connected correctly, you can hear the DRL relay click on. Be careful not to let any exposed ends of your wires ground on anything!

Dude...everything you need to know is in the other thread...all you have to do is read a little.

OrangeCrush
12-05-2010, 05:55 PM
Dude...everything you need to know is in the other thread...all you have to do is read a little.

X2... I've done this mod twice now on different H2's and I still had to read those 14 pages like 3 times each...

There were so many variations and different choices, I had to reread....

Really simple though...

Mark