PDA

View Full Version : my last 2 days

Hellz
12-09-2010, 07:28 PM
so, in my effort to chase down this pulling issue i have, i decided to replace the lower ball joints.

i rented a ball joint press
picked up 2 MOOG ball joints
took a day off from work

well i disassembled the drivers side. it took awhile to finally free the control arms, but i finally got the steering knuckle off to expose the lower ball joint.

ya, that baby was swinging freely. almost feels like it was ready to pop out.
well i hook up the press to it, and...its in there TIGHT!
my air compressor cant handle my impact wrench, so i hooked up my 1/2 breaker bar, and a 4 ft steel pipe and start cranking on it....

needless to say, it didnt work out and i had to buy a new breaker bar.
at this point, it was 4pm and i started calling shops to get a price qoute.
$400 was the lowest price, but the guy also siad plan on extra labor involved, and expect the price to be nearly $600 to $700 for one side only. on top of that, they will not use my parts....:fdance:

well a local NAPA shop near me has a machine shop attached to it.. called them up and they qouted $40 for just the ball joint and $75 for ball joint and bushings. well noone carries the bushings it seems, so i got the ball joint only.
the down side.. the shop closed at 4:30pm. with no working car, i had to call a buddy to pick me up, and also call in work to take an extra day off.

within 2 hours i was back and running.. it still pulls, but i havent gotten the alignement done yet.. no the passenger side ball joint.