PDA

View Full Version : WTF wind noise

iwillnc
01-24-2011, 10:22 PM
I recently bought a 2003 H2 with 49k miles it has winch offroad roof lights, the stock 4 round configuration, and two more roof bars after, and air suspension

Anyways, the roof is very dirty and the bars were kind of creating a place for the dirt and crap to build up, so I decided to take them off

I figure since they probably decrease my aerodynamics by taking them off my mpg would go up

And as I figured my mpg went up with city driving I'm getting 12.2mpg in stop and go, haven't tried the interstate yet..
Before with them I know I was getting about 13.5 mpg going 60mph on the interstate.

Anyway, since I've taken them off (roof bars and offroad roof lights) the wind noise has increased and I don't see why that would happen any ideas?

charles06
01-25-2011, 06:42 AM
Check to see if there is play in your sunroof. Mine is loose and allows a bit of wind noise. Could be that the air is hitting your sunroof differently now than before, causing the noise.

zach.
01-25-2011, 06:58 AM
More than likely, the wind noise is coming from the windshield moldings. Very common problem with the 2's. A little two sided tape on the inside of the molding to the windshield and it should be gone

charles06
01-26-2011, 08:16 AM
But wouldn't the noise be the same as before he took the lights/bars off? He stated that the noise got worse after he took them off...

EuroHummer
01-26-2011, 11:57 AM
I have wind noise on my 03 as well. I cannot figure out where it is coming from, but sounds like the passenger side. I was blaming the little antenna on top. Zach, can you explain exactly where to put the double sided tape to stop the noise?

PaHumBug
01-26-2011, 04:04 PM
Put the tape on the vertical edges of the windsheild, under the black plastic molding. I used to get a rattle sound, and this fixed it. You can see if it is loose by tapping your finger on the molding, you can hear and feel if it is loose.

I'm pretty sure there is a detailed thread on here with pictures and everything.

But iwillnc is talking about wind noise accociated with his roof. Moving the light/roof bars will change how the wind acts against your sunroof, sunroof wind deflector, roof bar tracks, marker lights, etc. That is all I can think of why it would change with removal of roof bars. Make sure everything is tight if you are getting a rattle...

Easy Ed
01-26-2011, 09:07 PM
Pics here http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16756 also with some other ideas/tips on how to fix the problem.

Good luck, Ed

I have wind noise on my 03 as well. I cannot figure out where it is coming from, but sounds like the passenger side. I was blaming the little antenna on top. Zach, can you explain exactly where to put the double sided tape to stop the noise?

iwillnc
01-27-2011, 03:40 AM
I THINK it was the wire connection up there to the offroad lights, i taped it down but it got loose so i retaped it, all is good

williamrobinson
02-19-2012, 11:51 AM
I have the same wind noise on my H2. There are little light covers on top at the front of the H2. These light covers have gaskets. They get worned out by time. Replace them and the noice will go away. The wind gets underneath the lights covers causing them to rattle.

zdawg8394
02-19-2012, 07:50 PM
if you have a sunroof deflector check that, i road for 5 hours with it making noise. got home and ripped the thing off.