PDA

View Full Version : the sit down

h2fan
12-04-2002, 05:44 PM
well after some time off for the holidays the h2 is here its at my dealership now for the sit down. so all you who have done this help me out /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif i do want warrenty 5/yr most mileage i can get what should i pay for this and is what he says written in stone or should i deal with him no one has said anything about any extras such as dvd/gps and things like that should i wait and do it on the outside i know they do a very big bussiness with this sort of stuff and they have someone on the outside doing it thanks to all /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

h2fan
12-04-2002, 05:44 PM
well after some time off for the holidays the h2 is here its at my dealership now for the sit down. so all you who have done this help me out /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif i do want warrenty 5/yr most mileage i can get what should i pay for this and is what he says written in stone or should i deal with him no one has said anything about any extras such as dvd/gps and things like that should i wait and do it on the outside i know they do a very big bussiness with this sort of stuff and they have someone on the outside doing it thanks to all /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Texas Red
12-04-2002, 08:14 PM
There are some who would disagree, but I would get the GM Major Guard extended warranty. This is a first-production-year vehicle. Keep the price down with a $100 or $200 deductible. I got the 6-yr/75000 miles. I'm not sure there is much room for haggling here.

If your vehicle came with a third seat, you can trade it for $550 off somewhere else (like the warranty). That thing isn't worth a sh**. IMHO if you want three rows of seats, get another vehicle.

No opinion on the DVD GPS. Are you talking about a full blown Nav system?? The Alpine DVD/GPS Nav system runs about 3 Grand. I think I can read a map a lot cheaper.

Jim
Red H2 in Texas

Tiger Bait
12-04-2002, 08:43 PM
I agree with the Red. It's the first year and I just found out today a brand new design for the transfer case. Those puppies are probably pretty expensive. I got the 5 yr 75000 from GM. Worth the extra money IMHO. As for the goodies, there is a trade off. If installed by the dealer they "may" be covered by the warranty. Check to be sure. I had tehm put on the the SMA tire carrier, but will have my GPS and DVD etc put in by people who know electronics. Find yourself a seasoned person who has lots of experience and can show you a portfolio of work. Most who do good work have them and are eager to show them. ALos get the stuff installed so that it can come out easily with trade in. You will get some extra to leave it in, but not but about 20% of what you paid. A good installer will be able to make that happen with no trace (i.e. gaping holes etc.)
If you are around Dallas, I can recommend a great guy who has done my last two vehicles and will do my H2. The interiors were tighter after he was through than when I got them new. And he removed the GPS and DVD from my last one to put in the H2 with no trace that they were ever there.

kelleymac2000
12-07-2002, 01:51 PM
I agree completely with Texas Red on his recommendation and reasoning. I bought the GM extended warranty, and although I'll probably trade up before 7 years, it's a great selling point if I choose to sell my H2 outright when the time comes.

Kelley

Steve R
12-07-2002, 05:20 PM
Believe it or not, my salesman gave me the "don't bother" look when I asked him about extended warranties. He also went on to tell me that I can "jump off that bridge" when the factory warranty ran out.

I'm all into having a warranty...so I'm interested, but I figured I could just wait until the factory warranty is up. Somebody told me it was better to get the warranty from the get-go, anybody have any good idea/thoughts on this???

kelleymac2000
12-07-2002, 10:40 PM
I would assume that you're going to get a better deal NOW when it's new, than when you're close to expired on your factory warranty and they have you in a "must-buy" position.

Kelley

Seth
12-09-2002, 07:57 PM
I know this is going against most of the posts on this subject. But I just do not believe in extended warranties for any new product. I know this is the first year of production and maybe you could make an exception, but… I just can not see it. I have been on the sales side my whole career and what I have seen in any commodity based purchase when price point is an issue companies will use warranties to build “fat” into the deal.

If I am spending over $50K on anything (besides a house) I expect the manufacturer and seller to stand by their products. If a company sells a product or service and then tells you that you need an additional warranty to protect yourself against the product, it either means that their product sucks or they are trying to figure out a way to drive up profits. Chances are you will spend more money on your warranty then you will ever fixing the problems that it “should” cover.

I rail against extended warranties every chance I get regardless of the product. I will be putting my money where my mouth when my H2 comes in the end of December, there is not way I will buy an extended warranty. I have been reading and contributing posts for the last few weeks and I have not seen evidence that there are any major issues with the H2. If I thought there were I would wait until next years model or spend my $50,000 plus on something else. Keep in mind that a good percentage of the money you spend on that warranty is going into the salespersons and their sales managers pockets. Take the money you would spend on the warranty and go away for a nice weekend (in the Hummer of course).

Seth

Texas Red
12-09-2002, 08:41 PM
Your points are well taken, Seth. But if my transfer case (or any other major item) fails after the three-year factory warranty, I will have paid for my extended warranty. Also, in my case it was easier to just roll that into the financing for a few bucks more a month on the payments. But you are right in that they wouldn't offer it for the price they do if they didn't make money (based on actuarials like insurance). To each his own. My judgement was that the price offset the risk for 75,000 miles. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Jim
Red H2 in Texas

Seth
12-09-2002, 09:00 PM
Jim, There is something to be said for peace of mind, to each his own /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Seth

RacerX
12-11-2002, 09:14 PM
Picked it up last week /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif and had thought about the warranty issue and was leaning towards buying it but was blown away by the price.

I read somewhere in the forum that they had paid just north of $1,800 for a 5/75,000 warranty. I figured the extra 39,000 in miles was probably worth that with all of the electronics and being a first year model.

When I went in for my sit-down, $1,800 wasn't even close, they were asking twice that amount with a $200 deductible. /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif That is a lot of problems before break-even comes into view much less passing it. Had to pass. Hopefully, any big issues will appear before 36,000 miles.