PDA

View Full Version : Hummer H2 Differential lubricant

random-hero-
03-10-2011, 10:33 AM
Hey everyone, I'm going to be replacing the fluid in my front and rear differentials this weekend, and it says to use 75W-90 Synthetic Axle Lubricant in the manual, use either the GM stuff or a 75W-90 Synthetic Axle Lubricant that "meets GM Specification 9986115."

I was looking at the AMSOIL Severe Gear 75W-90:

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/svg.aspx

However I'm not sure if it meets GM specs 9986115.

Has anyone else had this issue? Are there any other fluids from other brands I could use? Any input would be great, thanks!

Luv2Camp
03-12-2011, 06:05 PM
I am not aware of any 75-90 that meets the GM spec. As mine is still under warranty, I used genuine GM when I changed it. Wild that they actually make it smell like grapes! Assuming this is so it is easy to determine if it is GM or not should there be a warranty issue... NOT cheap stuff either!

When my warranty is up, I will switch over to Mobile 1 75-90W though...

Hellz
03-12-2011, 08:16 PM
75w90 is correct, but make sure you get it with the limited slip additive, or add it in yourself.

Royal Purple is a good choice..
Amsoil is fine as well.

If you are that concerned about the warranty, swing by a dealership and pick some up

ubeturas
04-05-2011, 10:12 PM
used differentials (http://www.mwdauto.com/)

Two main types of LSD are commonly used on passenger cars; torque sensitive (geared or clutch-based or cone-based as shown in figure at top of page) and speed sensitive (viscous/pump and clutch pack). The latter is gaining popularity especially in modern all-wheel drive vehicles, and generally requires less maintenance than the mechanical type.

Detroit Locker/Locker

A locker locks both wheels under normal conditions. If a wheel is externally forced to rotate faster than the differential centre (i.e., the outer wheel in a corner) the mechanism unlocks that wheel and allows it to turn freely (but only so long as it rotates faster than the centre). Thus in contrast to other LSDs,[5] the locker has the unusual characteristic of only applying drive torque through the inner wheel in corners when decelerating or under neutral throttle.[6] Drive shaft input torque causes the pinion cross shaft to lock the centre more firmly, resisting the unlocking action. As the two actions of the mechanism are contradictory, the car will unpredictably alternate between one-wheel and two-wheel drive under power in corners, giving difficult to control handling. As the vehicle goes down a straight line it is locked positive, and as the vehicle enters a curve it is still locked positive. As the vehicle goes farther into the curve, the gear unlocks causing it to jerk.[7] It can be very noisy and is often used in off-road 4WD applications. The traditional American racing differential is a Detroit Locker.

JDTDBD
04-06-2011, 11:46 AM
I use Mobil-1 75/90 synthetic and haven't had any issues. It usually runs on sale at autozone pretty frequently.