PDA

View Full Version : P0449 Code

markwoodlief
09-23-2011, 05:07 AM
Any thoughts on this.. I've searched high and low for an answer to what this could be. Some say purge valve... So did the research, crawled under the truck and see where it's located at...

Anyone else have experience with this code? Also a few days before the code showed up my 'Tighten Gas Cap' kept coming on.. it doesnt come on now but the yellow icon shows up and when i scan it it's 0449..

any advice would be helpful!!

HUMTECH
09-23-2011, 06:53 PM
Its a code for evap vent valve performance. Either the valve is bad, pcm is bad or power or ground circuit to the vent valve. In most cases its the valve but have seen broken wires as well. Never changed a pcm for this yet. Its located on the outside of the left framerail.

markwoodlief
09-23-2011, 07:36 PM
Its a code for evap vent valve performance. Either the valve is bad, pcm is bad or power or ground circuit to the vent valve. In most cases its the valve but have seen broken wires as well. Never changed a pcm for this yet. Its located on the outside of the left framerail.

I found the vent valve, took it off, blew it out with compressed air, put it back in, no change... I'll pick up a new one today and see if that clears it... they seem pretty reasonably priced if I can find one locally..what is a PCM?

HumminNBoatin'
09-23-2011, 08:28 PM
Wrong valve Mark,

I too have had this code. There is a Purge Solenioid on the manifold of the engine. (EVAP purge solenoid) I belive. They are like $30 from any parts store. Put one on and CE light will go away. Trust me I have been through the same thing you went through. I to replaced the canister under the truck. It was not the problem.

The job literally take 10 minutes tops.

markwoodlief
09-24-2011, 01:14 PM
Wrong valve Mark,

I too have had this code. There is a Purge Solenioid on the manifold of the engine. (EVAP purge solenoid) I belive. They are like $30 from any parts store. Put one on and CE light will go away. Trust me I have been through the same thing you went through. I to replaced the canister under the truck. It was not the problem.

thanks, i'll try to find one of those... thanks alot for saving me a few bucks :excited:

drmiles
09-24-2011, 03:22 PM
When my canister gets clogged (Mudding) I get those same problems, but also I noticed that it is hard to fill the beast up form empty. The nozzle keeps clicking off. I guess because the vent is clogged. I can remove the hose blow it out, and usually beat it with a hammer to losen up anything inside. That usually fixes the problem. I always clear the code with a programmer. If it is not hard to put gas in from empty the vent is probably working.

markwoodlief
09-24-2011, 03:26 PM
When my canister gets clogged (Mudding) I get those same problems, but also I noticed that it is hard to fill the beast up form empty. The nozzle keeps clicking off. I guess because the vent is clogged. I can remove the hose blow it out, and usually beat it with a hammer to losen up anything inside. That usually fixes the problem. I always clear the code with a programmer. If it is not hard to put gas in from empty the vent is probably working.

you are referring to the one under the truck right? I think HumminNBoatin' was referring to the one under the hood..

markwoodlief
09-24-2011, 10:21 PM
Wrong valve Mark,

i bought the manifold purge valve today, slapped her in, no problem at all, reset my CE light.. came back on after about a 20 mile drive.. :confused:
so.. stopped by and got the other valve, the one under the truck, and am going to put that on this evening.. i'll report back what exactly is causing this..

markwoodlief
09-25-2011, 02:56 AM
it was the purge valve under the truck on the frame rail.... the manifold one didnt do the trick.. but atleast now I dont have to worry about it :clapping:

HUMTECH
09-26-2011, 04:40 AM
Like I said, p0449 is a vent valve issue, purge would have set a different code. Glad ya got it sorted out

HumminNBoatin'
09-26-2011, 07:55 PM
now I feel like a real jacka$$! Sorry about that. anyway I had these issues and the solution I suggested fixed mine.