PDA

View Full Version : popping noise from front end

adamw89_2000
10-05-2011, 07:47 PM
i have an awful popping or creaking noise coming from my front end. i have a 6" bds lift kit and i recently changed cv joints, new fox shocks, and had shop look at all my balljoints, tie rods and front end which they said was all fine and not wore any. if the truck is just sitting there and i turn the wheels back and forth, i get no sound. the sound comes when i accelerate or press brake to slow down. more like when the suspension is moving up or down. when it is flexing...? any clue what else i can check or do cause it sounds horrible!

Hellz
10-06-2011, 09:37 AM
maybe your T bars?

could be right on the step, and popping on the edge when you move over something?

my guess right now...

have someone rock the front end up and down and watch your T bars move.. if it is happening when your front is flexing, you might be able to see some witness marks on the key where it is jumping and sliding back to position.

if it is it, either you or your shop can back the T bars off or add to it to get past the step up.

maybe for a quick fix, WD40 the stepups

adamw89_2000
10-06-2011, 12:24 PM
what are you talking about the "step ups"? i do have my bars cranked up quite a bit to clear my 40's if that makes any difference. i dont believe i can crank them anymore..

Hellz
10-06-2011, 02:26 PM
stepup= meaning the indexing on the keys.

you may have it cranked to where it is sitting right on one of the steppings or on the edge of the hole it sits in..
so it is either sliding down or up when your front end flexs, which is causing the popping sound..

adamw89_2000
10-07-2011, 02:05 AM
well i jacked the truck up this evening and my torsion bolts were almost bottomed out at tight as the would go. my keys have no indexing on them( factory keys) they are no steps on them just smooth all the way to where the bolts pushes up on them. anyways i let them off to about halfway way now and truck still making noise sounds to be coming directly from underneither the motor area... i dont know if its the steering but it only happens when i stop, go, hit a bump and such. almost like its the frame flexing... it used to not do this though right after i installed the lift.. i tightened up all my lift kit the other day. any more input?