PDA

View Full Version : Brand new Flywheel has rosty spots all over

ffl
10-18-2011, 12:17 PM
i got i new flywheel for my H2, it's a genuine GM part. but when taking it out of the box, i saw that there are rusty spots all over it. looks like the coating was not done well. is it normal that a new flywheel looks like this?

IRA51
10-18-2011, 09:51 PM
Flexplate/flywhell has surface rusty spots on it .Just lite surface rust/oxidation . It won't matter at all . Use locktight on the bolts when you install it .:giggling:

ffl
10-18-2011, 10:03 PM
thanks for your advice. is the plate coated or just sandblasted or something else?

IRA51
10-18-2011, 11:06 PM
Who knows what Government motors is doing these days ? Maybe it was made by the old GM that was in bankrupsey and the new GM is not responsible for it .Probably hecho in Mexico to begin with . If it makes you feel better wash it with a scuffy pad and Ajax till it shines like a new nickel ,let it dry and it will look like new . You can spray it with clear or use EEZOX gun care protectant on it if you like . It will takes for rust to ruin the flexplate.

ffl
10-20-2011, 09:27 AM
to me the surface looks like sandblasted, so there is no corrosion protection at all. do these plates get rusty when they are in use?