PDA

View Full Version : Thinking Bout a Whipple...

H2Much
10-23-2011, 06:14 PM
So, I am seriously thinking about getting a whipple supercharger, want to know if anyone out there has gone from stock to whipple that could speak to some of the difference.

I am currently running 40's with 4.88 gears. Is there anything I need to think about from a transmission perspective with what I currently am running before stepping up to a whipple?

DRTYFN
10-23-2011, 07:38 PM
Do not buy Whipple products. A friend of mine bought one of their superchargers for his Denali a few years back, had it installed, drove it for awhile and started having problems with it. The local installer narrowed it down to a bad computer module and told Whipple about it. The nitwits at Whipple then demanded that the installer re-diagnose everything and said they'd pay for the time. After the re-check the same results came back. A new brain was sent and installed. Whipple then reneged on their agreement to pay for the diagnosis. I personally spoke with the head bitch at Whipple on behalf of my friend and she told me to "Go f*ck myself", so ever since I've made sure to tell this story as much as possible.

H2Much
10-23-2011, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the heads up, this does make me reconsider. Wasn't set on whipple to begin with, but have just read and heard that their chargers are the best from my research. At the end of the day, I just want it to run right, so any suggestions on other options?

tyler1bo
10-23-2011, 09:52 PM
Well...there's always a 6.6L duramax diesel with an allison transmission ;) if you want the ULTIMATE ride ever! Just sayin....

H2Much
10-23-2011, 10:44 PM
This is true, however I cannot see a diesel swap as any kind of investment just yet.

Speaking of which, I noticed that the wipple now use a superchips programmer with their chargers; DRTYFN- do you remember if this was the setup that your friend was using when he got his?

Just wondering if the possibility exists that they changed their ways or not.

guruerror
10-24-2011, 02:13 PM
This is true, however I cannot see a diesel swap as any kind of investment just yet.

Speaking of which, I noticed that the wipple now use a superchips programmer with their chargers; DRTYFN- do you remember if this was the setup that your friend was using when he got his?

Just wondering if the possibility exists that they changed their ways or not.
I've read bad things about H2s (03-07) with aftermarket superchargers and tranny problems...search around the forum. There used to be a several discussions going on about'em; that's what steered me away from the idea.

2010_5thgen
10-24-2011, 03:46 PM
what about a STS turbo system?

Hellz
10-24-2011, 06:12 PM
could always go with a crate engine????

i know there is atleast 1 person here who has done it.

if the prices are about the same, to me its a no brainer.
im sure you will spend more than 6 or 7k tho.

a nice 502 big block.. 450 HP stock...im sure with tuning and what not its easy to get it over 500hp.

just a thought.

as for the duramax....
some people here are diehard fans... i see it as a big waste of $$$.

so you gain a few mpg... but you dumped 20k to 40k for it, and i have heard nothing but problems on here about them. you will never get anywhere near the cash back on resale. your kids will be driving it by the time you make your money back on gas savings..... you will also be paying more $$ at the pump for diesel.

atomicgoofball
10-24-2011, 06:48 PM
what about doing some NA mods, like boring/stroker, Cams, etc?

2010_5thgen
10-24-2011, 06:52 PM
a cam will get you some good power. got me 60rwhp in my camaro, but not always the most cost effective route....and its gonna change the rideand throttle response. might be a bit much for a everyday truck or even an off roader....id say, best buy for hp and MPG would be the STS turbo kit. and its relatively easy to install.

netrogue
10-24-2011, 07:17 PM
I have an '03 H2 that had a whipple supercharger installed in '03. When I purchased the vehicle over a year ago, the whipple's pulley was worn down and was making the supercharger's gears clanking around. The oil was ok and after taking the supercharger apart the gears looked fine...but I only had two options...

1) Try to find a shop to recondition the supercharger.. (since whipple had long since changed the design and no longer "repaired" the pulley)

2) Buy just the new version of the whipple supercharger (the mounts and such didn't change since '03)

So I went with number 2.

The other issue with the supercharger is that it is extremely hard on the drive train with the added horsepower.

When I got my Hummer it only had 33k in miles, and the transmission looked like it had been recently replaced just before I got it.. I would bet under warranty.

So if you want the added HP, just be prepared for stuff to break. :)

I really can't speak for how a non-charged H2 drives, but with the supercharger, it feels right. I can steep on it and get moving really quickly (instant mpg reads 0). No problem when towing and getting up to hwy speeds.

guruerror
10-24-2011, 08:04 PM
what about doing some NA mods, like boring/stroker, Cams, etc?
Goof: Check out this thread: http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40137&highlight=408

EuroHummer had a 408 stroker that was pretty bad a55. I don't know how those mods effect off-roading performance though...but maybe that's not a big concern for you...depends on how/where you plan to use the truck.

2010_5thgen
10-24-2011, 08:15 PM
Goof: Check out this thread: http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40137&highlight=408

EuroHummer had a 408 stroker that was pretty bad a55. I don't know how those mods effect off-roading performance though...but maybe that's not a big concern for you...depends on how/where you plan to use the truck.
This is the key......

IRA51
10-24-2011, 09:56 PM
If you blow the trans you can have a HP reuild and a new Torque converter done for your aplication. A head ,cam,piston change and computer reprograhm taylored for a Super charger is what you want . done right you will have outstanding results. Your bank account will be hit hard ,but when done you will smile . All parts need to be compatible for the best results. Look into a SC kit that is proven. i can't say if the Procharger is good on an H2 ,but it worked great on a 2000 camaro LS1 I had .
:D

atomicgoofball
10-24-2011, 10:58 PM

o...m...g. that is Incredible! That thing is MEAN and sounds BAD!!!!!

[__--MUD--__]
10-25-2011, 02:37 AM
I'm just throwing all this out there. I've done alot of thought on the same thing-

There a ****ing monster kenny bell blower setup on craigslist right now. Its still installed on an H2 right now, so you can hear/feel it run.

As much as our trucks weight, and full time 4wd. Its gonna grenade that stock tranny quick. If you had 2 wheel drive and could just obliterate the rear tires in smoke...You would get some life out of it. But an H2 is 100% gonna hook.

I wouldn't even **** around rebuilding the stock tranny. I'd go straight for a real truck tranny- 4l80. Kits are all out there to do it, nothing to rig up yourself.

I honestly think if your mechanically inclined, you can throw a diesel in it cheaper. 5G for blower, plus tuning. 2-5G for a tranny that can hold. The pistons in our motors arn't the greatest for forced induction. Forged lowerend 5-8G. Yea, blower is less initial expence, but when you start breaking ****, gonna start adding up pretty quick.

My blower is still sitting in my garage, not installed for this exact reason. I'm gonna go w/ an 07 diesel and allison tranny (6-8G depending on mileage, plus what ever you can get out of your stock engine, tranny, drivetrain) when I catch up on my other projects (1200HP twin turbo, forged stroker- 01 ram air trans am).

You think your gas mileage sucks now... ;)

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/pts/2574482630.html

2010_5thgen
10-25-2011, 02:41 AM
A couple years ago i was at livernoise motorsports in Michigan getting my car worked on. When i was there, they were working on a turbo charged h2. I still talk to some of the guys there on line. Ill ask them how the truck ended up and see what kind of power and reliability it had.

OrangeCrush
10-25-2011, 02:46 AM
Thanks for the heads up, this does make me reconsider. Wasn't set on whipple to begin with, but have just read and heard that their chargers are the best from my research. At the end of the day, I just want it to run right, so any suggestions on other options?

On both my H2?s, I installed Magnusons. Great product, works well but NOT ENOUGH... (thus the reason I pulled it and installed the diesel)

Mark

H2Much
10-25-2011, 05:24 AM
So I guess the question is no longer about the whipple, it is more about a SC in general or a turbo, I got it right?

Here's the thing, I know the SC will torque a little more than normal, but then again I am not tearing aroudn in my ride. I do offroading, climbing, and highway runs back and forth between Idaho, Utah, Montana, and Wyoming. So, not to concerned about burnouts, but more concerned about drivability with what I got going on now; 40's, different gears, etc. Don't want to lose offroad capability, don't want to not be able to get on the highway every now and then.

With this, it almost sounds like a different engine would be the answer. Is this option complicated? Do I need to get a computer separately for teh engine? Will I need to do a different trans with getting a different engine? Will I need to be concerned about the gears in there now? (4.88's) I know, tough questions, just really trying to get a feel for what the experts think or from those who have done it before or really understand this stuff. Too much money to be making a mistake and doing it wrong if you know what I mean.

Thanks in advance for the advice though, its :crying: got me thinking about what the better option would be.

2010_5thgen
10-25-2011, 12:55 PM
if your going with a different engine...LSA or LS9!:clapping:

HummerMann
10-25-2011, 02:32 PM
If you supercharge, put the Corvette C6 shift modules in the transmission.

[__--MUD--__]
10-25-2011, 05:26 PM
If you supercharge, put the Corvette C6 shift modules in the transmission.

There is 4 other parts under $300 or so I'd put in the tranny even if the motor isn't modded.-

#32. 4L60E / 4L65E Wake Up Kit, Wake your 4L60E transmission up with this kit. You get the high performance intermediate billet servo, you get the high performance overdrive billet servo and the oversize pressure boost valve. These three parts will wake up your 4L60E and can be installed without removing the transmission or valve body.

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/4l60e.htm

guruerror
10-25-2011, 05:45 PM
']There is 4 other parts under $300 or so I'd put in the tranny even if the motor isn't modded.-

#32. 4L60E / 4L65E Wake Up Kit, Wake your 4L60E transmission up with this kit. You get the high performance intermediate billet servo, you get the high performance overdrive billet servo and the oversize pressure boost valve. These three parts will wake up your 4L60E and can be installed without removing the transmission or valve body.

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/4l60e.htm
This is good to know!

H2Much
10-27-2011, 02:05 AM
Good advice boys, I will do some more research and see what we end up doing. Really like the idea of getting that new crate delivered though, got me really thinking,:excited:

Humdingah
10-28-2011, 03:08 AM
']

Ironically, I've got the Superior billet intermediate and overdrive servos along with a Trans-Go 4L60E-HD2 kit and all are brand new and still in the original boxes...don't think they'll work on the Allison I've got my eyes on so they're up for sale.

H2Much
10-30-2011, 01:17 AM
@MUD - Where are these parts that you are talking about for the tranny, and what do they do? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I need to understand how things work to see if it is going to work for what I am needing things to do.

I am wondering if I do some things to the tranny if I could get my ride to run the way I want it to more so than now. For under $300, it would be worth looking into.