PDA

View Full Version : Front Hitch Receiver, Surprise!

VegasGuy
11-08-2011, 10:19 PM
I started what sounded like an easy project. Now, not so much.

I am extending a front receiver hitch pin so that it drops down through the bumper and extends down all the way through the receiver. After cutting the handle off so I could do a test fit the correct length of the extension I discovered the likely reason why GM didn't include the hitch pin in the tire jack tool kit. The hole does not allow the hitch pin to drop through. It is out of alignment. :(

I have attached a pic. You are looking down through the hole at a 1/2" copper pipe which happens to be 5/8" O.D., the same as the hitch pin. The copper pipe is pushed up from the bottom of the receiver through both receiver holes and then is blocked by the bumper.

I have a die grinder and may give that a try. Taking a break. Time to think . . .

MARKCORE
07-11-2012, 04:19 AM
Weird, mine lines up fine. Did you try adjusting the receiver brace? Maybe you bumped into something pushing it had a 1/4''? Loosen the bolts and see if it will slide forward some.

LoJac963
07-11-2012, 10:09 AM
wait I'm confused, I thought it did drop down from the top?? Mine lines up fine and I've had the entire front bumper off a couple times now.

[__--MUD--__]
07-11-2012, 05:15 PM
It does drop down through the top and goes all the way through. I dont remeber if there are sloted holes on the receiver brace that bolts to the frame...but you have something jacked up on your rig. Maybe your bumper cover needs to be adjusted.

VegasGuy
07-12-2012, 05:59 AM
My post was from 7 months ago. :eek:

I did not run into anything to move the front bumper. From the looks of how it's aligned, neither did the previous owner. My final solution was to buy a hitch pin the pushes up from the bottom and locks into place.