PDA

View Full Version : Grill color change... chrome bubbles???

PaHumBug
11-10-2011, 07:02 PM
I know some have line-x'd, some have painted their grills. Just curious as to how those are satisfied with their choice. Is the paint chipping? Line-X fading? Any problems with either? Going to be doing mine soon and want some feed back. Also, has anyone painted a grill that had the "chrome bubbles" in it? How do I handle that? I'd rather not take it down to bare plastic, is that my only choice?

I attached a pic of my grill to show the bubbles, it's rather hard to see though.

guruerror
11-10-2011, 08:34 PM
If you're simply painting it (whether you're using paint or spray bedliner) I'd prolly recommend sanding those bubbles out, then roughing the whole thing before spraying.

If you're Line-Xing, I'd say you're good to go as is.

As you know, I had mine Line-Xed with standard black this spring, and the bumpers and other bits a year or so before that. It starts out really shiny and glossy, but fades into a nice almost flat, black finish which is very similar to the stock plastic. If you where going black and wanted to keep the shine, they recommend Line-X Xtra; the same goes if you're going to color match.

I have had no problems what-so-ever with any Line-Xed part; whether it was originally black plastic, chrome plastic, fiberglass or metal...the sh!t is GREAT.

Since Line-X is so thick I decided to pop out my grille letters instead of coating over them. If you decide to go that route, know that they are attached with adhesive tape. There's no holes under them. Get a small screwdriver or scraper and work them off. Be careful though if you're going the painting route because you could easily gouge the plastic trying to work these off; but if you're going Line-X don't worry, it's so thick that it'll cover that right up.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i271/guruerror/bc0be9f4.jpg

PaHumBug
11-10-2011, 08:52 PM
Is it possible to get color matched spray can bedliner?

guruerror
11-10-2011, 09:02 PM
Is it possible to get color matched spray can bedliner?
I didn't think so...but check this product out (Qwik Liner): http://www.qwikliner.com/

EDIT: They don't seem to have white though...bummer. And you have to have the proper equipment to spray it...I'll keep looking.

Here's one: http://www.nonslipcoating.com/truck-bed-liners.htm

[__--MUD--__]
11-11-2011, 07:56 AM
what ever you cover the grill w/ is only going to be as strong as that chrome is...if its bubbling, its going to start flaking off in sheets.

you can sand it off, or find a local hard chrome shop and ask them if they can dip it for you. I had all my plastic chrome parts stripped. You just do the steps in reverse of chroming something.

PaHumBug
11-11-2011, 04:33 PM
I remember reading something about newer and older grills. What year did they change? Just want to make sure if I buy another grill I don't get the wrong one...

tyler1bo
11-11-2011, 07:17 PM
If it means anything..if you're gonna go through all the trouble and money to strip the chrome and paint match and all that other stuff..you could just buy a body matched grille. I know it's more expensive but I'm in love with mine..it matches perfectly and it wont come off! Just my two cents if you decide it's not worth the trouble.

iwillnc
11-12-2011, 04:29 AM
PA- they changed them in 08 difference is in how it hooks up and the 08-09 don't have HUMMER across them

tyler1bo
11-12-2011, 09:24 AM
Yes and there are waaaaaayy more of those then trying to find an '08+

PaHumBug
03-16-2012, 02:58 PM
']what ever you cover the grill w/ is only going to be as strong as that chrome is...if its bubbling, its going to start flaking off in sheets.

you can sand it off, or find a local hard chrome shop and ask them if they can dip it for you. I had all my plastic chrome parts stripped. You just do the steps in reverse of chroming something.

Now that it is getting warm enough to paint I am looking to get on with this. I called 3 local chrome platers and all said they can't do it. My shop is in the business of precision machining, and I work with platers and coaters of all types every day. Do you have more detail on the process so I may be able to find someone to strip my grill?

guruerror
03-16-2012, 03:23 PM
PA- they changed them in 08 difference is in how it hooks up and the 08-09 don't have HUMMER across them
I'm pretty sure that the 03-07 and the 08-09 grills attach in the same manner...everything lines up perfectly regardless of the year of your truck.

The difference is in the lower grill...you can't use an 03-07 lower grill with a 08-09 upper grill or vice versa, they did move the clip locations on those pieces.

[__--MUD--__]
03-17-2012, 02:18 AM
Now that it is getting warm enough to paint I am looking to get on with this. I called 3 local chrome platers and all said they can't do it. My shop is in the business of precision machining, and I work with platers and coaters of all types every day. Do you have more detail on the process so I may be able to find someone to strip my grill?

Any place that does hard chrome (non decorative) can do it. Most simply just dont want to. To remove chrome, you just do the exact same process in reverse. All my abs plastic was dechromed this way.

You can peel the chrome w/ a heat gun to. Takes about an hour.

wasp1971
03-17-2012, 08:37 PM
Where does one buy a color matched grille?

iwillnc
03-19-2012, 03:35 AM
Wasp-

Gm made them, you could buy them from the dealer, some retailers also sold them, all liscensed by GM, the chance of finding them now are slim, most retailers sold out, their are a few on ebay, though remember the 08 and 09 grille is different than the 03-07, good luck finding them though. It's getting tough

PaHumBug
03-21-2012, 07:48 PM
look on ebay. Or ask tyler1bo.

tyler1bo
03-21-2012, 08:10 PM
If you're looking to buy..I personally bought mine from hummerpartspeople.com. They especially have them for 03-07, I was just lucky enough to find an 08-09. My grille is perfect though. I just didn't want to mess my chrome one up trying to paint it, that was my only issue.

deathshead67
03-26-2012, 04:00 PM
i used plasti-dip from home depot. It's been on for about 5 months now and its holding up pretty good. The best part about it, it peels right off.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff137/deathshead67/2011-11-11_17-51-41_597.jpg

[__--MUD--__]
03-26-2012, 06:59 PM
Looks good. I bought some of that dip about 3 or 4 years back to do a few hand tools. Worked great, my only bitch was the **** turned to goo if you got any solovent on it. You're probably going to want to stay away from any type of bug and tar remover on that.

SUT-UP
03-26-2012, 08:39 PM
DeathsHead Can we have an updated picture on the truck? 6 months seems like a good benchmark to measure how much chipping you are going to have.

iwillnc
03-28-2012, 02:51 AM
Death, do show on the vehicle.

LoJac963
03-28-2012, 10:33 AM
all this talk about Plasti-Dip.....went out and picked up a spray can of the black because I can't stand my chrome fuel door. 2 coats and it looks amazing! Just waiting for it to cure overnight then its going back on. Definitely recommended! I had thought about getting it powdercoated when I had my u-steps redone but I didn't want something permanent until I knew how it would look.

PaHumBug
03-28-2012, 04:20 PM
Can I get it in white? I saw that it is NOT UV resistant, for what that's worth.

SUT-UP
04-02-2012, 09:43 PM
Come on let's see it on the truck. :clapping:

LoJac963
04-03-2012, 03:15 AM
Can I get it in white? I saw that it is NOT UV resistant, for what that's worth.

well its basically spray rubber in a can. The AZ sun this summer will definitely put it to the test but I don't really see it fading.

pdxrealtor
08-09-2012, 01:45 AM
I'm looking to do my front grill. Undecided on blue or black. In any event I don't think I'm into the plastidip, bed liner, etc..

Think I want to paint it. Most likely I'll go with blue duplicolor.

I have a heat gun. What's that process like to remove the chrome? I don't want to melt the grill or anything. Does it just bubble and lift off?? Is it a quick process or are we talking picking chrome off for two days?

Assume once the chrome is off a layer or two of primer followed by paint. What about clear coat?

[__--MUD--__]
08-09-2012, 06:56 PM
I'm looking to do my front grill. Undecided on blue or black. In any event I don't think I'm into the plastidip, bed liner, etc..

Think I want to paint it. Most likely I'll go with blue duplicolor.

I have a heat gun. What's that process like to remove the chrome? I don't want to melt the grill or anything. Does it just bubble and lift off?? Is it a quick process or are we talking picking chrome off for two days?

Assume once the chrome is off a layer or two of primer followed by paint. What about clear coat?

Takes about 4 beers...it will bubble and curl right up and pull off w/ the heat. Wear some gloves, its hot.

pdxrealtor
08-09-2012, 08:37 PM
Cool.... sounds simple.