PDA

View Full Version : Stock airbox....errrrr!

LoJac963
11-18-2011, 12:42 AM
So I've been contimplating a new intake and have been researching every last one. I have used K&N in ALL my vehicles ever since I could drive and never had a single issue with them. Initially the plan was the K&N FIPK then I started reading some reviews on here.

THEN I decided to look at the Airaid Jr. kit with the tube and drop in that keeps the stock box.

My question is:

How the hell does the stock lid come off and on the stock box?? I can remove the lid no problem by wiggling it back and forth. To reinstall the lid is impossible. The lip closest to the windshield does not have enough room to fit on. I had to actually remove the 3 bolts holding the entire box down to move it forward to get the dang lid back on. I've tried everything and ended up with a nice gouge out of my finger trying to get the lid back on without moving the box.

Thing is, if I have to go through this much hassle then I'm definitely not going with a drop in and will go back to the K&N FIPK so I can easily pull the filter out to clean it (I have always cleaned my K&N's at EVERY oil change).

Thanks for the input everyone!

HUMTECH
11-19-2011, 02:05 AM
I use a prybar and gently move the box away from the cowl just enough to not break anything but to get the cover back in place. Just gotta be careful

2010_5thgen
11-19-2011, 09:56 PM
instead of putting the stock lid back on just put a universal k&n filter on. i bought a cheap intake off ebay for 80 bucks. works great. plastic tube and open filter. no issues whatsoever. i never understood the point of keeping the stock lid and replacing the pipe. i know its got smoother flow, but your still only getting as much air flow as your filter and box will let.

IRA51
11-19-2011, 10:49 PM
You need a sealed air box that draws cool air from outside the engine compartment ,or you LOOSE POWER . Open elements are a no no .:raar:

LoJac963
11-19-2011, 11:23 PM
thanks for the replies. I think I'm going with the Airaid drop in with probably the Airdoc tube. As much as I've used K&N in the past I have heard nothing but horror stories on here and other hummer forums when it comes to K&N. Also I hate to deal with these stupid stock airbox lids but I think its the better route than the FIPK.

2010_5thgen
11-20-2011, 02:40 AM
You need a sealed air box that draws cool air from outside the engine compartment ,or you LOOSE POWER . Open elements are a no no .:raar:
i dont know about that. ive modded many cars and trucks and put intakes on and have never had a loss of power issue. now you know the motors need tuned to really reap the benefits from the intake? my truck runs just fine. no issues. power is better than before and no tune yet.

LoJac963
11-21-2011, 02:00 AM
alright gents, what about this option: Airaid intake 200-183 is the filter and heat shield and the Airdoc tube?? Does anyone have any experience with the actual Airaid intakes as opposed to just the drop in filter? I would go with the Airdoc tube because I can't stand the way the Airaid tube looks.

HUMTECH
11-21-2011, 02:13 AM
i dont know about that. ive modded many cars and trucks and put intakes on and have never had a loss of power issue. now you know the motors need tuned to really reap the benefits from the intake? my truck runs just fine. no issues. power is better than before and no tune yet. Fairly simple concept, cooler air is more dense which results in more oxygen in intake charge which in turn creates a more efficient burn in the cylinder which results in more bang for your buck.

2010_5thgen
11-21-2011, 01:59 PM
Fairly simple concept, cooler air is more dense which results in more oxygen in intake charge which in turn creates a more efficient burn in the cylinder which results in more bang for your buck.
yes i know this. believe me the truck gets more cool air in that compartment than you would think. and it gets in in and out much quicker than the little pin hole entry from the stock air box.

IRA51
11-22-2011, 05:29 PM
You can lead a horse to water ,but you can't make him drink .:giggling:

zdawg8394
11-23-2011, 12:03 AM
You can lead a horse to water ,but you can't make him drink .:giggling:
but, you can push him in and force him to swim.

pdxrealtor
11-27-2011, 08:34 AM
I researched this to death... the stock filter is just fine. If you must get a k/n keep it in the stock box. Putting in the open engine bay is exposing to hot air, as the others have stated.

I take my stocker out every oil change, 5k, and blow it out with air.

LoJac963
11-28-2011, 10:22 AM
I researched this to death... the stock filter is just fine. If you must get a k/n keep it in the stock box. Putting in the open engine bay is exposing to hot air, as the others have stated.

I take my stocker out every oil change, 5k, and blow it out with air.

I have a Volant box/filter and a Prefilter on its way to me now. Once those get here I will confirm if the Airdoc tube will work. If so I'll be ordering that also.

My main issue was the annoying difficulty the stock airbox lid is to take on and off. I like to be able to check on my filter regularly everytime I have the hood open just to make sure its still relatively clean. I also couldn't justify spending the $40-60 on a disposable filter everytime I needed to be changed.

2010_5thgen
11-28-2011, 05:27 PM
for the record..i gained 1 MPG with my open air filter.....so somethings working right.....

IRA51
11-30-2011, 06:11 PM
Please contact www.samracing.com and inform them of this monumental brakethrough .

pdxrealtor
11-30-2011, 07:05 PM
Please contact www.samracing.com and inform them of this monumental brakethrough .
:giggling: :giggling:

guruerror
11-30-2011, 07:07 PM
LOL!

But hey, that's better then I got with Starkey88's moon rocks!

2010_5thgen
11-30-2011, 07:08 PM
im sure they know. as well as anyone that does motor work.

guruerror
11-30-2011, 07:29 PM
I put a K&N on mine years ago. It seemed a tad bit peppier, the MPG went up by .5, and it sounded a little louder.

I attributed all of this to the assumption that it was getting the air in a little easier (whether it be hotter or colder) so the engine wasn't working as hard to breathe. Worth the $ spent in my opinion; but, if I had it to do again, I think I would have just kept the stock box. The stock box offers better protection against the elements (dust, dirt, etc.) when on the trail. I think I'd rather have 'protection' over the minimal performance gain that I noted.

2010_5thgen: I get that you've got some experience with GM motors under your belt, but so do the folks on this forum. The difference is, their experience is with GM motors in 6,600+ lb. metal bricks; not aerodynamic F/FR body, pony cars...that changes the ball game a little.

2010_5thgen
11-30-2011, 08:50 PM
i understand. but you cant fight the facts. open air induction is better than a closed air box any day on any car. your limited to the air that comes in on a clased air box. the air comes in through a hole thats about the size of a playing card. not only do you not get alot of air but it limits it to where you get it from. theres giant holes around the air filter that draw alot more cool air in. not to mention there is alot that comes in from under the car when driving. my 80 dollar intake was worth my investment. got me 1 more MPG and gave me better pedal responce. after a tune is where you see these things like intakes, headers and catbacks really making the truck wake up and get better HP and MPG.

horsepower is made the same on a 6.2 camaro as it is a 6.0 vette , as it is a 6.0 silverado, as it is a 6.0 hummer......all works the same.

guruerror
11-30-2011, 09:21 PM
i understand. but you cant fight the facts. open air induction is better than a closed air box any day on any car. your limited to the air that comes in on a clased air box. the air comes in through a hole thats about the size of a playing card. not only do you not get alot of air but it limits it to where you get it from. theres giant holes around the air filter that draw alot more cool air in. not to mention there is alot that comes in from under the car when driving. my 80 dollar intake was worth my investment. got me 1 more MPG and gave me better pedal responce. after a tune is where you see these things like intakes, headers and catbacks really making the truck wake up and get better HP and MPG.
I agree with what you're saying...loosening the restrictions on breathing and proper tuning will "wake-up" a motor. I also agree that you "can't fight the facts"...and your H2 has 6,614 very chubby facts that weigh down your very logical, mechanical theories.

The dudes on this forum (me included) have tuned, been tuned, tooled, re-tooled, modded, and tweaked their brains out, and still I have yet to see anyone on here report that they're even getting a consistent and solid 14MPG (unless it's all flat highway miles with the cruise control at 55 MPH).

If you can figure out how to make your box get a consistent 5+ MPG over the a stock setup, I'll be the first to PM you.

IRA51
11-30-2011, 09:27 PM
One more time . You need an air sorce void of under hood engine heat to make the most power . Do you know what an IAT is or how it works ? Just because you have an open eliment with no silencer that make loud voom voom sounds doe's not mean you are makeing more power . Modern cars and trucks (your H2) have a computer . The IAT will send a signal to your computer and adjust for hot intake . Cool air is better than hot air to make power .Even on non computer cars this is true .As far back as 1957 Chevrolet knew this . Look up 1957 Chevrolet Air Box Corvette . Drawing /ramming cold air in an engine gives the best power . This is a fact
Choose to beleive what you want ,It won't change the facts .:raar:

guruerror
11-30-2011, 09:31 PM
What is Intake Air Temperature, Alex? LOL!

2010_5thgen
11-30-2011, 10:13 PM
I agree with what you're saying...loosening the restrictions on breathing and proper tuning will "wake-up" a motor. I also agree that you "can't fight the facts"...and your H2 has 6,614 very chubby facts that weigh down your very logical, mechanical theories.

The dudes on this forum (me included) have tuned, been tuned, tooled, re-tooled, modded, and tweaked their brains out, and still I have yet to see anyone on here report that they're even getting a consistent and solid 14MPG (unless it's all flat highway miles with the cruise control at 55 MPH).

If you can figure out how to make your box get a consistent 5+ MPG over the a stock setup, I'll be the first to PM you.
i didnt say i get a consistant 14mpg. i just said i gained 1 mpg with an open air intake. doesnt matter how much the car weighs...you can still do things to improve fuel economy. of which i dont even know why this is turning into an argument, because this is the least of my concerns with my hummer. anyone who plans or has put larger wheels and tires on their hummer is expecting the horrible gas mileage. i was just stating that buying my cheap intake i gained the 1mpg i lost when i switched to the nitto trail grapplers

2010_5thgen
11-30-2011, 10:15 PM
One more time . You need an air sorce void of under hood engine heat to make the most power . Do you know what an IAT is or how it works ? Just because you have an open eliment with no silencer that make loud voom voom sounds doe's not mean you are makeing more power . Modern cars and trucks (your H2) have a computer . The IAT will send a signal to your computer and adjust for hot intake . Cool air is better than hot air to make power .Even on non computer cars this is true .As far back as 1957 Chevrolet knew this . Look up 1957 Chevrolet Air Box Corvette . Drawing /ramming cold air in an engine gives the best power . This is a fact
Choose to beleive what you want ,It won't change the facts .:raar:
i know hot air is not good for cars......i never said it was. but the more air the better. and yes we all know a tune helps the car because it is run by the computer. these are all things that can help with power and mpg. on a tune alone you can really change the dynamics of the truck. i gained close to 20 RWHP on my camaro just from a tune.

2010_5thgen
11-30-2011, 10:16 PM
What is Intake Air Temperature, Alex? LOL!
probably the same with the restricting stock air box or the open air filter. actually probably a little less with the open air filter.

guruerror
11-30-2011, 10:50 PM
i didnt say i get a consistant 14mpg. i just said i gained 1 mpg with an open air intake. doesnt matter how much the car weighs...you can still do things to improve fuel economy. of which i dont even know why this is turning into an argument, because this is the least of my concerns with my hummer. anyone who plans or has put larger wheels and tires on their hummer is expecting the horrible gas mileage. i was just stating that buying my cheap intake i gained the 1mpg i lost when i switched to the nitto trail grapplers
LOL! And I didn't say that you said that you get a consistent 14MPG. I was merely using 14 as an example of a ridiculously low MPG that even the best and brightest tuners among us have yet to achieve. "Doesn't matter how much the car weighs?"...uh, ok. :notallthere:

...and my "What is Intake Air Temperature, Alex? LOL!" statement was a rhetorical, Jeopardy reference; not an actual question. :giggling:

BUT, your are right that we didn't buy these vehicles because of their gas mileage, so let's just be friends...:excited:

2010_5thgen
12-01-2011, 01:42 PM
weight does matter, but it still can be done when it comes to making power and achieving fuel ecomony numbers, because higher numbers can still be achieved. whether the car weighs 2K lbs or 7klbs..it can still make as much power as you want it to.it just depends how extreme you want to go and how much $ you got to spend....and i know your jeopardy question was a joke i was just being an a$$.

HUMTECH
12-02-2011, 01:36 AM
Actually putting larger tires on you should see an increase in highway mpg as they will drop your cruising rpm, stop and go traffic not so much though

2010_5thgen
12-02-2011, 01:43 PM
Actually putting larger tires on you should see an increase in highway mpg as they will drop your cruising rpm, stop and go traffic not so much though
maybe taller, but not wider. wider will cause more friction. and the larger gap between the tread blocks, the worse noise and MPG.

IRA51
12-02-2011, 06:37 PM
IMHO you buy an H2 to be able to go off road in comfort and style,if your worried about MPG by a Prius.

guruerror
12-02-2011, 06:43 PM
IMHO you buy an H2 to be able to go off road in comfort and style,if your worried about MPG by a Prius.
:iagree:

2010_5thgen
12-02-2011, 07:28 PM
im not concerned with gas consumption in my hummer. but i didnt buy mine to go off roading. i bought it because it was big and comfortable. the fact that it goes offroad is just a plus.

glennf1
12-03-2011, 03:54 PM
Hello all, new to the forum. I have a new to me 05 SUT and I also noticed the same thing with the airbox cover and a long screwdriver to gently pry the cover lip out when putting it on makes it snap right on.