PDA

View Full Version : Seriously thinking of selling my 03 H2 for a Delica - thoughts / flames

dna
11-18-2011, 03:04 AM
Had my 03 H2 for almost 8 years, and although I still love the looks and ride I'm seriously thinking of selling it for a Jap 4x4 (the Delica). WHY?

Cause I'm sick of spending on average $700 a month on gas - and I'm really not even driving that far. But with 2 kids in hockey, there are 4 games every weekend, and every 2nd one is on average 1 hour away. That, combined with local driving and the odd 4 hour drive, I'm spending $700 a month.

I do offroad the H2 occassionaly, but not enough to justify a $700/mth gas bill. So I'm really spending that money for nothing but the status of riding a nice looking and unique vehicle.

That's why I'm thinking of the Delica. Yes it is ugly, but so ugly that it is almost nice, and it sure is unqiue (I hate common vehicles). Plus the Delica has a diesel which gets incredible mileage, but can also run on waste vegetable oil (so it is free if I go that way). And it can seat 7 plus tons of cargo space still - and it can offroad too.

So what's your thoughts. Anyone on here gotten fed up enough that they got ride of their H2 for a fuel economy vehicle? Did you regret it afterwards?

Oh, another vehicle I'm considering is the xB. It too is so ugly that it is almost nice (even kind of looks like a mini Hummer, being box like and all). Oh, did I say that here - oops, now I'm sure to get flamed.

Indy
11-18-2011, 04:27 AM
How about a Jeep JK Rubicon Unlimited....fairly good on gas and great offroad and enough space for a family. There are a few Delicas driving around here and boy, they look like a 4x4 minivan....but everybody has their own taste. If you like them, go for it.

2010_5thgen
11-18-2011, 01:38 PM
keep it and buy a prius :D

HummerMann
11-18-2011, 02:17 PM
Vehicle ownership is a personal thing. If you don't get a thrill out of driving it anymore or it's unreliable I say go for it and look around. My view is life is too short to drive a boring car. I put tons of miles on my H2 every year (over 100,000 since I bought it new) and still enjoy it around town and on the highway. I live in a very hilly part of upstate NY and without my H2 I'd be homebound a lot in the winter. I've owned lots of 4X4s and nothing has done as well in the deep snow as my H2 - for that reason alone, it's worth the money I spend on gas and insurance. I also like the commanding view on the higway of sitting up high and the ability to pile tons of stuff in the back.

StockStar
11-18-2011, 02:35 PM
WHY?

Cause I'm sick of spending on average $700 a month on gas - and I'm really not even driving that far.

Wow, almost $10k a year in gas. Alot of us here have alternate vehicles. I drove mine a total of 1400 miles last year.:crying: I mostly drive one of the other cars. I recommend you keep the H2 and pick up another ride that isn't as gas hungry as the H2, but if you decide to get rid of it thats cool. No one should flame you for putting priorities(sp) first. :D

guruerror
11-18-2011, 03:32 PM
Sounds like you've got a hard decision ahead of you. If you've got the room, I would prolly second the idea for an alternate car...something with better MPGs.

BUT even if you have the room, that still may not work for you. I tried that route back when gas was $5+ per gallon, but found that I still drove the H2 because it was what I 'wanted' to drive. The other car simply sat in my garage.

In order to avoid the $700 gas bill you may have to sever all ties and just let it go...like I said, 'a hard decision.'

PaHumBug
11-18-2011, 04:55 PM
I plan on getting an alternate vehicle at some point, just to stop racking up the miles on the H2. I plan on using it to commute to work, and any long trips. Otherwise I'll drive the H2. Anybody know anything about these? I saw it on eBay but couldn't find information on the web about them. It's called a ST600C Snyder. I guess you register it as a motorcycle...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250934620445%3F_trksid%3Dp4340.m748&viewitem=&_trkparms=clkid%3D4284688639544706050

PaHumBug
11-18-2011, 06:16 PM
I plan on getting an alternate vehicle at some point, just to stop racking up the miles on the H2. I plan on using it to commute to work, and any long trips. Otherwise I'll drive the H2. Anybody know anything about these? I saw it on eBay but couldn't find information on the web about them. It's called a ST600C Snyder. I guess you register it as a motorcycle...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250934620445%3F_trksid%3Dp4340.m748&viewitem=&_trkparms=clkid%3D4284688639544706050
Found a website: http://www.wildfiremotors.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=3960&category_id=26&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=75

VegasGuy
11-18-2011, 06:52 PM
Had my 03 H2 for almost 8 years, and although I still love the looks and ride I'm seriously thinking of selling it for a Jap 4x4 (the Delica).

I'll bet your kids aren't thrilled with the idea. ;)

I have to agree with you. $700/month is a pretty big bite. I would be looking at a second car, but in no way am I second guessing your decision. Hope it works out for you.

pwrhse2k
11-19-2011, 12:22 AM
Keep the H2, buy an MKIV VW Jetta TDI sedan or wagon that gets 35+ city and up to 50+ mpgs hwy to use as your daily driver. You can find one relatively cheap and to make the TDI a bit more fun to drive, put a larger VNT 17/22 turbo in it and a tune and you'll be good to go! It'll be fast and still get 35+ mpgs. I have a 02 Jetta as my daily driver and quite a few GAS HOG TOYS that I don't mind driving around when I feel like because of the savings I get from driving the Jetta daily. Something to consider...Keep the H2!

twr
11-19-2011, 02:40 AM
Hi keep the H2 and buy a 2nd truck or car. I just bought a dodge ram 2500 diesel 4x4 for pulling and better mileage and a winter truck to save the H2 from the Ontario salt, but i am keeping my H2. The dodge is 23.5 mpg.

OrangeCrush
11-19-2011, 01:55 PM
I think you should sell it. Recently I bought my supercharged, convertible C5 back from a guy I sold it to like 3-4 years ago. It literally had less than 6K miles on it, the new owner never drove it.

Point is, I got it back and realized the love was gone. I wasn?t thrilled with it any longer. It looked great, it was fast as hell, turned heads but did nothing for me.

I think when that love affair is gone, it?s time to go.

God, I hope my love my doesn?t get boring, my wife ain?t gonna like the new model.

:D

Mark

VegasGuy
11-19-2011, 05:13 PM
God, I hope my love my doesn?t get boring, my wife ain?t gonna like the new model.

Mark

Maybe you should think of something just for the weekend? http://serve.mysmiley.net/evilgrin/evilgrin0007.gif (http://www.celebrityfashionarchive.com)

2010_5thgen
11-19-2011, 09:46 PM
why not spend a few bucks and mod the hummer and get it tuned to help get some better mpg? ive thought about doing this to mine. i put a new intake on. im gonna do new headers and port the heads and then have everything tuned. should pick up a few more mpg's.

guruerror
11-19-2011, 11:05 PM
why not spend a few bucks and mod the hummer and get it tuned to help get some better mpg? ive thought about doing this to mine. i put a new intake on. im gonna do new headers and port the heads and then have everything tuned. should pick up a few more mpg's.
LOL...good luck. Post your results. The only two ways I've seen is: diesel conversion or putting a block under the gas pedal to keep it from going down so far.

2010_5thgen
11-20-2011, 02:32 AM
ive got some pretty smart friends and im pretty well informed on these ls motors. theres alot that can be done to improve fuel economy and power at the same time. tunning is a huge part of it. even installing a turbo kit will help fuel economy when tuned right.

guruerror
11-20-2011, 02:36 AM
ive got some pretty smart friends and im pretty well informed on these ls motors. theres alot that can be done to improve fuel economy and power at the same time. tunning is a huge part of it. even installing a turbo kit will help fuel economy when tuned right.
Awesome! Keep us posted.

6,614 lbs and shaped like a brick...they got a tuner for that?

pwrhse2k
11-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Awesome! Keep us posted.

6,614 lbs and shaped like a brick...they got a tuner for that?

Keep in mind the full-time AWD is going to limit you on mpgs no matter the engine mods, gears or superchargers etc. Just ask OrgangCrush who did all the power performance stuff and ended up putting a DMAX in his H2.

OrangeCrush
11-20-2011, 02:36 PM
Keep in mind the full-time AWD is going to limit you on mpgs no matter the engine mods, gears or superchargers etc. Just ask OrgangCrush who did all the power performance stuff and ended up putting a DMAX in his H2.

Installing bigger tires is a guaranteed 2-4 mpg loss. Changing gears will bring some of that loss back.

At best, if you go for all out fuel economy, you may gain 1-2 mpg. Big freakin? deal.... That means you can drive an extra 30-50 miles on a tank full.

Guruerror hit it spot on... you?ll driving an all wheel drive vehicle in the shape of a brick that weighs almost 7K lbs. There is no tuning, no secret tools, no magical space dust to get better gas mileage. (at least any worth a darn)

It?s simple, you buy an H2 for the vehicle it is, crappy gas mileage is part of that equation. If you can?t afford it or don?t like it, buy a prius.

Mark

OrangeCrush
11-20-2011, 02:51 PM
How come when I pull up Delica, I only get this?

http://www.freewebs.com/jeepsndgirlsarena/1992DelicaStarwagonDieselModified01_01.jpg

USMC_Buckaroo
11-20-2011, 04:22 PM
"...It’s simple, you buy an H2 for the vehicle it is, crappy gas mileage is part of that equation. If you can’t afford it or don’t like it, buy a prius..."

:iagree:

Aside from recently buying my Black H2 because I've always wanted one {previous wife nixed that desire for many years, along with cutting off my almost unbroken chain of Harley ownership dating back to the 70's}, being a quasi-retired Architect I can easily afford it's idiosyncrasies and plan to simply 'write-off' it's operating expenses as SOP....add to that the fact that my other car is, in fact, a Toyota Pruis...well, I'm good with it.

I also consider it a test bed for a WWII-era fuel savings experiment I'll be developing...either way, I"M happy with my H2!!

Regards,

Buck.

hummeraddict
11-20-2011, 05:00 PM
I would like it if everyone who owned an H2 sold it, just so I could have the pick of the litter. hehehehehe.

StockStar
11-20-2011, 07:25 PM
"...It?s simple, you buy an H2 for the vehicle it is, crappy gas mileage is part of that equation. If you can?t afford it or don?t like it, buy a prius..."

Well, not the most intelligent\accurate comment.

Here is why:
http://zfacts.com/metaPage/lib/zFacts-Gasoline-Price.png

The fact that most owners who purchased their H2's back in 03,04, & 05 were not concerned with the gas prices. In march of 03 the avg. price was 1.72. Now, in 2006-2008 the prices sky rocketed, so if you bough an H2 during the summer of 2008 then the above quote would apply, but for those who purchased their H back in the day...then I understood the rant.

guruerror
11-20-2011, 07:59 PM
...no magical space dust to get better gas mileage...
Too bad about that space dust, huh? :(

OrangeCrush
11-20-2011, 08:26 PM

Well, actually it is....

One fallacy to your point. If gas prices rose and everything else stayed the same, I?d agree.

However, gas is as expensive then as it is now. Sure it may have only been $2.00 per gallon but minimum wage was $4.00

So yes, gas has gone up but so has everything else... it?s still relative.

My initial point is the truck gets 10 mpg then and gets 10 mpg now. Anyone who bought it didn?t buy it for gas mileage.

And as I said before, if you don?t like the gas mileage, then you should buy a prius or do something about it.

Mark

2010_5thgen
11-21-2011, 01:55 PM
"...It?s simple, you buy an H2 for the vehicle it is, crappy gas mileage is part of that equation. If you can?t afford it or don?t like it, buy a prius..."

Here is why:
http://zfacts.com/metaPage/lib/zFacts-Gasoline-Price.png

The fact that most owners who purchased their H2's back in 03,04, & 05 were not concerned with the gas prices. In march of 03 the avg. price was 1.72. Now, in 2006-2008 the prices sky rocketed, so if you bough an H2 during the summer of 2008 then the above quote would apply, but for those who purchased their H back in the day...then I understood the rant.
i bought mine in 08 right after the gas prices spiked. i had so many dirty looks when i went to the gas station:giggling: it was great.

HummerJim
11-21-2011, 02:34 PM
I like the size and performance of the H2 in the snow. As several have said here, it's hard to beat the performance of the H2 in the snow. Gas is expensive on these 6000 lb plus non aerodynamic vehicles, but to me the fun factor makes up for all that. My H2 has been one of the most reliable American built vehicles I've ever owned! If the fun factor is gone, it might be time to look around. I saw a silver 4 X 4 Hyundai Tucson with big tires at the gas gas station, and the onwer claimed he was averaging 23 mpg in mixed city/highwway.

StockStar
11-22-2011, 04:36 AM
Well, actually it is....

However, gas is as expensive then as it is now.

$1.72 in the spring of 2003 vs. $4.26 in July of 2008. Please explain to me how that's "as expensive then as it is now"

Sure it may have only been $2.00 per gallon but minimum wage was $4.00

Show of hands here...who was driving their Hummer back in 2006-2008 while making minimum wage? Anybody? My earlier point was simple. The price of gas now vs. back then is what is driving people to get rid of their gas hungry vehicles. If you buy a gas hungry vehicle today...you know the deal.

guruerror
11-22-2011, 04:44 AM
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

OrangeCrush
11-22-2011, 05:01 AM
$1.72 in the spring of 2003 vs. $4.26 in July of 2008. Please explain to me how that's "as expensive then as it is now"

Cause the cost of living has gone up also. Did you make the same amount in 2010 as you did in 2003? If you?re like most people, you?re making a ****load more than you were then. (not because it?s worth more, inflation drives the numbers up...)

Show of hands here...who was driving their Hummer back in 2006-2008 while making minimum wage? Anybody? My earlier point was simple. The price of gas now vs. back then is what is driving people to get rid of their gas hungry vehicles. If you buy a gas hungry vehicle today...you know the deal.

Really? Did you really think I was making the point that someone on minimum wage was driving an H2 in 2003? Don?t be stupid. I was making the point that inflation has driven not only the cost of gas up but everything else too... including wages.

I was making the point gas was a major expense based on income back in 2003. Yes, it was less, but so was the income level.

Let?s just agree that the H2 is a gas pig. Well, yours is. :fdance:

I?ll continue to drive my 20mpg on the highway H2....

Mark

StockStar
11-22-2011, 12:17 PM
Let?s just agree that the H2 is a gas pig. Well, yours is. :fdance:

Mark
Yes it is! :fdance: Happy Holidays

OrangeCrush
11-22-2011, 12:53 PM
Yes it is! :fdance: Happy Holidays

You also....

Mark

vandy0090
11-28-2011, 06:44 PM
I can feel ur pain on The cost of gas. When I bought the h2 my wife drove 7 miles round trip now its about 40. Its her DD and we take it if we are running around town.

My DD is either an 09 gt500 or a 90 k5 GMC. We spends about 850 a month in gas. But we drive what we want. We are looking at getting a couple Honda's to keep the miles off the cars we like. I'm sure the drastic cut in fuel will be nice also

2010_5thgen
11-28-2011, 07:15 PM
I can feel ur pain on The cost of gas. When I bought the h2 my wife drove 7 miles round trip now its about 40. Its her DD and we take it if we are running around town.

My DD is either an 09 gt500 or a 90 k5 GMC. We spends about 850 a month in gas. But we drive what we want. We are looking at getting a couple Honda's to keep the miles off the cars we like. I'm sure the drastic cut in fuel will be nice also
try the chevy cruze eco. my buddy has one and gets around 45mpg on the highway running premium.

StockStar
11-29-2011, 10:45 PM
I can feel ur pain on The cost of gas.

Yep. The price of GAS! That's the killer for most folks right now with gas hungry vehicles.

vandy0090
12-01-2011, 03:47 PM
I figure its the cheapest gas ill ever see so I'm gonna enjoy it.

Problem is she's wanting a 6.2L Ford Rapter here soon
I think opec should consult me on setting gas prices lol

twr
12-01-2011, 03:54 PM

:iagree:

guruerror
12-01-2011, 03:55 PM
I figure its the cheapest gas ill ever see so I'm gonna enjoy it.

Problem is she's wanting a 6.2L Ford Rapter here soon
Tell her to watch those bumps in the Raptor: http://www.autoblog.com/2011/07/21/svt-boss-goes-on-record-about-ford-raptor-frame-damage-claims-w/

twr
12-01-2011, 04:00 PM
Too soft in the middle :raar: Ford

vandy0090
12-02-2011, 06:52 PM
yeah thats a weak deal. $240 fix and ford doesnt wanna do it. they screwed them selves when they made all the commecials jumping it in the desert. they try to say just because a lambo can do 200 mph doesnt mean you can/should do it on a crappy road. problem is they are advertising it as being able to handle that abuse and it cant

guruerror
12-03-2011, 03:27 AM
yeah thats a weak deal. $240 fix and ford doesnt wanna do it. they screwed them selves when they made all the commecials jumping it in the desert. they try to say just because a lambo can do 200 mph doesnt mean you can/should do it on a crappy road. problem is they are advertising it as being able to handle that abuse and it cant
I'd really like to see what would happen if we sent 14 of our trucks down the same route at the same speed...