PDA

View Full Version : installing touchscreen in my 05 sut

adamw89_2000
11-26-2011, 03:11 AM
ive been searching for countless days now and still not a direct answer to my question... i have an 05 h2 sut, no lux or adventure series.. i think... it has standard 6 disk cd player and radio. im wanting to install an aftermarket navigation/dvd/ touchscreen in it.... not sure on what model yet but what all do i have to install with the unit? my local stereo shops wont touch a hummer they said..... to much in them... i know it can be done with right adapters but what all will i need to retain my factory onstar/chimes/ and radio control functions? thanks

etmyers
11-26-2011, 03:32 AM
I think I got the info for mine off of here. I have a spare GM adapater if you need it, I think it is the one to make the onstar and door chimes work. Its new in the package. I will check and let you know tomorrow if you are interested.

OrangeCrush
11-26-2011, 04:59 PM
You?ll need like 3 adapters. One for the chimes, one for the steering wheel contollers and a GM adapter one.

I did my last H2 and it worked perfectly. I haven?t done so with this one but the stock naviagation unit SUCKS.

I had my stereo shop install an adapter so I can use my iphone and also a bypass switch so I can enter info into the navigation while driving. (hated that safety setup)

Your stereo shop that says they won?t touch it must be a piece of crap shop. I assure you working on the H2 is no harder than many other cars. You just need to have the correct adapters.

Mark

draconianruler
12-01-2011, 06:55 PM
You?ll need like 3 adapters. One for the chimes, one for the steering wheel contollers and a GM adapter one.

I did my last H2 and it worked perfectly. I haven?t done so with this one but the stock naviagation unit SUCKS.

I had my stereo shop install an adapter so I can use my iphone and also a bypass switch so I can enter info into the navigation while driving. (hated that safety setup)

Your stereo shop that says they won?t touch it must be a piece of crap shop. I assure you working on the H2 is no harder than many other cars. You just need to have the correct adapters.

Mark
Do they sell the bypass switch somewhere? I too HATE not being able to use my nav while moving.

guruerror
12-01-2011, 06:59 PM
Do they sell the bypass switch somewhere? I too HATE not being able to use my nav while moving.
You typically need to ground the parking brake wire to make the nav think you're parked.

cgalford
12-04-2011, 07:54 AM

How to bypass depends on the nav unit you get.

An H2 is no different from a similar year full size truck/SUV, just more panels to take off to get the unit (did several when I was an installer). This will spell out what you need:

www.metraonline.com

OrangeCrush
12-04-2011, 03:14 PM
You typically need to ground the parking brake wire to make the nav think you're parked.

My installer installed a switch that somehow interrupted the speed sensor on the wheels. It made the computer think the truck wasn?t rolling.

Technically you can still use the GPS without flipping it back but it can?t lock onto the signal (GPS) to identify your location precisely until you flip it back.

Out of all the vehicles I have ever owned with nav, the one in the H2 is the absolute worst. It?s freakin? archaic and not user friendly. It takes so long to respond to inputting the alphabet, I?d forget where the hell I wanted to go.

God I hate that thing... (but at least I know no one will steal the POS)

Mark

guruerror
12-05-2011, 01:25 AM
My installer installed a switch that somehow interrupted the speed sensor on the wheels. It made the computer think the truck wasn?t rolling.

Technically you can still use the GPS without flipping it back but it can?t lock onto the signal (GPS) to identify your location precisely until you flip it back.

Out of all the vehicles I have ever owned with nav, the one in the H2 is the absolute worst. It?s freakin? archaic and not user friendly. It takes so long to respond to inputting the alphabet, I?d forget where the hell I wanted to go.

God I hate that thing... (but at least I know no one will steal the POS)

Mark
Some installers won't put those in any more. The AVIC I used previously needed the parking brake cable grounded and my installer "showed" me how to do it, but wouldn't do it for me.