PDA

View Full Version : Truck or train horn

draconianruler
12-01-2011, 06:49 PM
So I've figured its time to ditch the stock horns. Its embarassing to honk. I think my little Scion horn is louder. Looking to install truck or maybe even a train horn. I'm sure others have done it. Does anyone have any install details? I did a search but didn't find anything. I was also thinking of using the Volvo Bad Boy horns since they are relatively cheap. Any opions on them?

2010_5thgen
12-01-2011, 07:10 PM
if i ever had someone honk at me with a train horn, i would probably get out of the car and beat their @$$...just my opinion.

guruerror
12-01-2011, 09:47 PM
So I've figured its time to ditch the stock horns. Its embarassing to honk. I think my little Scion horn is louder. Looking to install truck or maybe even a train horn. I'm sure others have done it. Does anyone have any install details? I did a search but didn't find anything. I was also thinking of using the Volvo Bad Boy horns since they are relatively cheap. Any opions on them?
Are you talking about these Bad Boy horns?: http://www.iowa80.com/DirectionsWEB/webcart_productDisplay.php?itemid=105808&itemdesc=Bad+Boy+Horn+for+All+Vehicles

I replaced mine with a Carson HPK-150 Stutter horn...it gets their attention; I think mainly because a lot of our local law enforcement vehicles have a similar-sounding horn. LOL!

http://www.carson-mfg.com/hpk-100-and-150-horn-systems.php

I mounted mine behind the small grill...bolted it right to the the metal frame and connected it up to the 12v for the stock horn...easy peasy.

charles06
12-01-2011, 10:45 PM
if i ever had someone honk at me with a train horn, i would probably get out of the car and beat their @$$...just my opinion.

I agree.

twr
12-01-2011, 10:57 PM
Hi i have one of the bad boy horns its loud enough to let people know your there but not loud like a train horn i think thats to loud.

PaHumBug
12-02-2011, 05:42 PM
Let me start out by saying that I kept the stock horn and it still uses the steering wheel switch. It is used for friendly "hey the light is green and you're still sitting here" beeps, and for emergencies for which the horn is intended. BUT, :rolleyes: I did install a train horn with a seperate button on the dash. This is used to scare my friends and have fun with... I don't use it on the road. I think it's illegal anyway...

I put a 2 gallon tank and small air compressor behind the interior spare tire rack. I have 4 horns pointed straight down (so they aren't directional, just as loud from all directions) between my rear bumper and my rear axle. I couldn't find room under the hood plus it was less airlines to run/deal with. Longest horn is 20" and shortest is 13", all have 5" flares at the end. The horns empty my 2 gallon tank with 140 psi in about 4 seconds... That sounds pretty quick but cam seem like an eternity while your filling up your shorts.:D If you want that cool train sound without shaking the ground, you need at least 3 trumpets, even if you don't go as extreme as mine.

Plus, I can air up all my tires anwhere, anytime.

Here is the kit with the horns I have, but I have a different tank and pump.
http://www.hornblasters.com/products/details.php?i=shocker-228vx-train-horn-kit

OrangeCrush
12-12-2011, 12:11 AM
Let me start out by saying that I kept the stock horn and it still uses the steering wheel switch. It is used for friendly "hey the light is green and you're still sitting here" beeps, and for emergencies for which the horn is intended. BUT, :rolleyes: I did install a train horn with a seperate button on the dash. This is used to scare my friends and have fun with... I don't use it on the road. I think it's illegal anyway...

I put a 2 gallon tank and small air compressor behind the interior spare tire rack. I have 4 horns pointed straight down (so they aren't directional, just as loud from all directions) between my rear bumper and my rear axle. I couldn't find room under the hood plus it was less airlines to run/deal with. Longest horn is 20" and shortest is 13", all have 5" flares at the end. The horns empty my 2 gallon tank with 140 psi in about 4 seconds... That sounds pretty quick but cam seem like an eternity while your filling up your shorts.:D If you want that cool train sound without shaking the ground, you need at least 3 trumpets, even if you don't go as extreme as mine.

Plus, I can air up all my tires anwhere, anytime.

Here is the kit with the horns I have, but I have a different tank and pump.
http://www.hornblasters.com/products/details.php?i=shocker-228vx-train-horn-kit

X2 except I DO use mine for the freakin? idiot that won?t get out of the way, for the moron who is to oblivious that the light turned green 2 minutes ago, for the stupid woman who cut me off because she didn?t see me... you get the picture.

Mark