PDA

View Full Version : Anyone With 4L80E Trans?

charles06
12-04-2011, 04:30 PM
I did a search on this, and found a bunch of people talking about it, but only one guy who did it, and didn't report back on how it turned out.

So, has anyone done this transmission swap and care to share their experience? I'm debating going to 40's and want a stronger trans.

slippy
12-06-2011, 01:23 AM
I looked into it a while back. If you google around youll find a swap kit and it will include a sub frame. Just make sure you have a shop that will swap the tranny AND weld the sub frame. iIts easy to find a metal weld shop, or an auto shop, but finding one that does both may be tricky depending on your area (due to liability issues).
anyway, a week after i said i was intrested in it, my stock tranny cooler blew up. on short notice i opted for a rebuilt stock tranny with a limited warrenty at the stealership.

charles06
12-06-2011, 04:26 AM
Thanks for the help. I did a search earlier in the week and found what you're talking about, but I was just curious if anyone here had done one and how it panned out. How many miles have you put on your rebuilt tranny?

guruerror
12-06-2011, 03:02 PM
(subscribing)...as I'm interested in hearing what folks have to say on this.

I'd also be interested in the costs associated with the swap.

Humdingah
12-06-2011, 08:03 PM
$310 for the required transmission crossmember...item #10H2 about half-way down.

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/4L60E_to_4L80E_Swap.htm

charles06
12-06-2011, 08:44 PM
That's the site I've been looking through. I was just looking for some real-world success stories. Seems like a lot of little things to get right. I might just get my stock tranny rebuilt.

However, my local dealer bought a beefed up trans (not sure what kind) from a company in Colorado that also makes trannies for Chip Foose. He needed one for a lady with a supercharged H2 that kept blowing stock trannies. Said it worked great, and she beat on it. I'll have to get the name of the place.

charles06
12-07-2011, 09:39 PM
So has anyone simply rebuilt their stock transmission to be a little stronger?

[__--MUD--__]
12-07-2011, 11:52 PM
Your probably going to have some better luck at ls1tech.com on swapping out the tranny... Technically it shouldn't be any different than the same swap in a camaro/firebird.