PDA

View Full Version : HID upgrades

Humvee21
12-12-2011, 05:36 AM
So I've been contemplating HIDs for my 2005. I think I've found a route that I'd like to take. I will be buying these projectors made for the H1 http://www.dashzracing.com/92-01-hummer-h1-projector-headlights-black-pro-7rnd-bk-a11.html and retrofitting them with a HID kit. Does anyone know if I will have trouble fitting the H2 bulb (9007) into these housings?

Also, what other suggestions might you guys have?

I've tried searching but many other options are very costly.

2010_5thgen
12-12-2011, 03:53 PM
i have a cheap HID kit from ebay in mine. 55 watt ballast with 6000K color. cost me 50 bucks a set and they work great. i keep a spare set in case i get a burn out. but ive had them in for almost 2 years now and havent had any issues.

Humvee21
12-12-2011, 03:59 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but aren't the stock H2 headlight reflectors for halogens? If so, wouldn't putting HIDs in combination with the stock reflectors make it illegal?

A couple questions about your experience:
1. Have you received any complaints (flashes) from oncoming traffic?
2. Where did you mount the ballast/how (pics if possible)?

thanks in advanced!

2010_5thgen
12-12-2011, 04:21 PM
ive gotten a few flashes from on coming drivers, but then again i got flashes with the regular halogen bulbs. i mounted the ballast rightby the back of the headlight. theres 3 bolts that hold the headlight housing in. i just used one of those the hold it in place. dont go with a kit that has HID hi beams. i havent been able to getthem to work. i have halogen Hi beam and HID low. the halogen hi beams are a joke, but you can still flash them if you get flashed at. the HID Hi beam kits need grounded out and it runs alot more wires. i never got them to work so i only use the low beams HID.

Humvee21
12-12-2011, 06:11 PM
Another question:

I want to get the kit off ddm tuning here: http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-HID-Kit-Slim-Ballast-35W-or-55W

What is all the stuff I need to buy? I already know I want the 55W, 5000k, and need the 9007/HB5 (with Hi/Low).
Do I need the HID Harness, Adapter Cables, or Error Eliminator?

2010_5thgen
12-12-2011, 07:13 PM
everything appears to be there. not sure what the box is that runs to the ballast. but it looks the same as what i have.

Humvee21
12-12-2011, 07:19 PM
So you have none of these:HID Harness, Adapter Cables, or Error Eliminator?

[__--MUD--__]
12-12-2011, 08:16 PM
Search the top 5 hummer sites...HID in the h2 forum should hit it. Ive seen it in the last couple months. There is a guy thats doing conversions around $200. You send him your stock headlight assemblies as core.

If your going to rig it yourself, I'd make sure to run new power to them and use your existing bulb plug/wirerun as your trigger for high/lows.

2010_5thgen
12-12-2011, 09:01 PM
So you have none of these:HID Harness, Adapter Cables, or Error Eliminator?
all i have is (2) HID bulbs that have 3 wires that connect to the (2)HID ballast. and then theres a line that comes off of that to connect into the stock lighting wiring.
i even have them in my wifes camry. actually just replaced a ballast yesterday. pretty simple.

Humvee21
12-12-2011, 09:36 PM
']Search the top 5 hummer sites...HID in the h2 forum should hit it. Ive seen it in the last couple months. There is a guy thats doing conversions around $200. You send him your stock headlight assemblies as core.

If your going to rig it yourself, I'd make sure to run new power to them and use your existing bulb plug/wirerun as your trigger for high/lows.

Thanks, I've tried searching but I haven't found much useful information out there. The installation seems simple enough but I just wanted to make sure my parts were all in order.

I didn't see anything about a guy doing the conversions for you? Do you have a link?

Humvee21
12-12-2011, 09:40 PM
all i have is (2) HID bulbs that have 3 wires that connect to the (2)HID ballast. and then theres a line that comes off of that to connect into the stock lighting wiring.
i even have them in my wifes camry. actually just replaced a ballast yesterday. pretty simple.

I appreciate all the info. I'll be doing this soon.

adamw89_2000
12-13-2011, 03:13 AM
i have a hi low hid kit off of ebay and have never had a problem with it. have actually bought 2 of these kits one for my other pickup as well and has done great. my hi and low beam are 10000k 55watt i think. def looks good and are nice. i do get flashed at but then again im lifted 10" over stock.. so my headlights r way up in the air

The_Yeti
12-13-2011, 03:19 AM
I just did the hid 55w highlow beam. Mine wouldn't go from high to low til I switched 1 of the wires in the harness. Changes the polarity. Works perfect now. The little box in picture is a relay switch.

Humvee21
12-13-2011, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the reply guys.

I've been doing a bit more research. I've read that DRL's could interfere with the ballasts. Anybody had these problems?

2010_5thgen
12-13-2011, 08:15 PM
mmmmm no.... why would the drl's have anything to do with the ballast? theres no research to be done. you buy the lights. and you hook them up. thats it. they work. research done.

Humvee21
12-13-2011, 09:13 PM
mmmmm no.... why would the drl's have anything to do with the ballast? theres no research to be done. you buy the lights. and you hook them up. thats it. they work. research done.

Haha, that's very assuring. Thank you. I guess I need to stop being so paranoid.