PDA

View Full Version : 35" Mud grapplers to 40" Toyo Open's M/T

accely
12-14-2011, 02:26 AM
hey everyone, it's getting harder and harder to resist getting a lift kit and getting 40" toyo open country m/t tires (so far they look the best to me at this size) SO....

Right now I have 35x12.50 mud grapplers on 20" rockstars, I love this setup but bigger IS better :D These tires and rims are only about 6 months old with maybe 3k miles.

Main questions and advice I'm seeking:

1. Will the 40" toyo's fit on my current rockstars? I was looking at Toyo's website and it looks like will, but it's not the "recommended" size match up.

2. What kind of lift kit should I get ? 2/4/6 inch? Brand? My H2 is 2005 with air ride.

Thanks a ton guys!

Current pic:

http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss9/accely/H2/4.jpg

MVR 155
12-14-2011, 02:46 AM
40" tires will look absolutely bad ass but are going to kill your mileage and performance, you will likely need to change your gears if your want to retain any kind of acceleration. Also keep in mind that your going to be wearing out driveline/suspension parts quicker. If this is your DD then these are some things you want to consider....... There is also absolutely nothing wrong with the way your rig currently looks either:beerchug:

accely
12-14-2011, 02:51 AM
40" tires will look absolutely bad ass but are going to kill your mileage and performance, you will likely need to change your gears if your want to retain any kind of acceleration. Also keep in mind that your going to be wearing out driveline/suspension parts quicker. If this is your DD then these are some things you want to consider....... There is also absolutely nothing wrong with the way your rig currently looks either:beerchug:
damn you and your logic!! haha. Yeah, I agree with you completely. I keep trying to talk myself out of it :D

mightyepp
12-14-2011, 03:28 AM
The Rancho 4" lift might work. I'm running 38 mud grapplers on 20x12 rockstars and have plenty of clearance with no rubbing. But I can't confidently say for sure about 40" clearance.

TTLex
12-14-2011, 03:55 AM
dont believe the hype.....you can daily drive with 40's!:D

Here is my opinion...and experience. If you want to run 40's go with a minimum 6" lift, I like the fabtech personally. There is a guy thats selling one for a damn good deal right now, check the classified section.

Yes, the 40's should work on your wheels....what the width of the wheels, 10 or 12". The 15.5's would look better ont he 12" wide Rockstars, but can definitely be run ont he 10" too.

Should you regear with 40's, probably. Do you need to regear for sure, not necessarily.

THings to consider....beef up the front: tie rods, pittman supports, etc.

Im running a Fabtech 6" lift with 20x12 Fuel wheels, Toyo Open Country 40x15.5x20's, im not regeared. Truck runs just fine so far around town and on the highway. I probably will regear eventually, but its not necessary right out of the gate...for me anyhow. I upgraded the fornt suspension items as well.

I had 38's on it before the 40's, to me it runs about the same as far as the gearing goes.

I say go for it, you will love it!

adamw89_2000
12-14-2011, 01:18 PM
i agree wit ttlex above, im same as him. 6' lift with also a key lift, 40" nitto mud grapplers here on 20" fuel octanes... im not regeared as well and i pull a trailer everyday...

accely
12-14-2011, 05:09 PM
thanks for the replies so far.... good stuff :)

As for the H2 being my daily driver:
- I drive the H2 primarily when my BMW is in the garage from crappy weather. So summer is 75% bmw driving. H2 gets to relax unless I'm hauling people around .
- I work from home, so my "daily" driving is very limited, pretty much to the gym and back heh.

What is a 'key lift' ?

I believe my 20" rockstars are 20x10. I'm 99% sure. I'm thinking IF I get new tires, I would just go up to 20x12 so I can keep both sets separate, might make selling the 35 mud grapplers easier also.

I need to check out the local sports truck shop, they do lifting, tires, etc. To check how much it would be to get everything installed. What do you think a typically price range is for lift kit install?

guruerror
12-14-2011, 06:05 PM
...I need to check out the local sports truck shop, they do lifting, tires, etc. To check how much it would be to get everything installed. What do you think a typically price range is for lift kit install?
I would definitely get a couple of bids on this work and gather as much info as you can from the forum before proceeding. As you can see, 9 times out of 10 you'll find someone here that has already done what you wanna do and can give you feedback on what will/will not work.

I initially went to a 'sports truck shop' that's local to the MD/DC area (Trick Trucks) to get my key lift, UCA-work, wheels, etc. priced out...they quoted me some astronomical price and attempted to load me with a ton of mis-information about what work/parts I actually needed. If I'd have listened to them I'd have had $12,000 in a Fabtech lift just to get some 37s under my truck. I don't know if they were stupid, shifty, or just inexperienced with Hummers...either way I steered clear of them.

I find the best price and work in my area comes from my local performance Chevrolet dealer. For the longest time they only sold Corvettes, Hummers and fleet GMCs so their mechanics know their way around the H2 and the Vortecs. I only mention this because some folks will tend to steer away from the 'dealerships' for aftermarket work...but I'd take a good GM truck mechanic over those 'Trick-Truck' dudes any day of the week when it comes to my ride.

BTW...your rig looks really nice.

2010_5thgen
12-14-2011, 07:22 PM
i would never pay a shop to do this work. no matter how much disposable income i had, i would get a buddy and do it myself. some stuff i leave to the pro's but a lift isnt something that is needed by pros...the alignment is though. a chevy garage probably will be your best bet. and if your in really good with your dealership, they normally hook you up pretty good. lucky for me, one of my best friends is the service manager :)

TTLex
12-14-2011, 07:25 PM
what area do you live in? It will probably run you int he $900 range for the install. I think I paid $700 plus alignment if I remember correctly.

And yes, you would probably be able to sell the 35's easier with the wheels. They would be perfect size for some of the Chevy 2500/3500 guys.

guruerror
12-14-2011, 07:35 PM
i would never pay a shop to do this work. no matter how much disposable income i had, i would get a buddy and do it myself. some stuff i leave to the pro's but a lift isnt something that is needed by pros...the alignment is though. a chevy garage probably will be your best bet. and if your in really good with your dealership, they normally hook you up pretty good. lucky for me, one of my best friends is the service manager :)
You're a funny dude. :giggling:

2010_5thgen
12-14-2011, 09:01 PM
i try ...lol

accely
12-14-2011, 09:02 PM
what area do you live in? It will probably run you int he $900 range for the install. I think I paid $700 plus alignment if I remember correctly.

And yes, you would probably be able to sell the 35's easier with the wheels. They would be perfect size for some of the Chevy 2500/3500 guys.

Midwest - Davenport, IA. about 2.5 hours west of Chicago, IL and 2.5 hours east of Des Moines, IA

accely
12-14-2011, 09:28 PM
Here is my opinion...and experience. If you want to run 40's go with a minimum 6" lift, I like the fabtech personally. There is a guy thats selling one for a damn good deal right now, check the classified section.

Will this kit work with my H2? I have the air ride (not 100% what that even means aside from knowing about the auto leveling). The dual shock kit, is that just for the front? is it only needed in front?

If it works, what else would I need? You mentioned tie rods, etc..

MVR 155
12-14-2011, 11:54 PM
I just put new rubber on my stock wheels but if you dont end up doing this until spring and you put the Rockstars/Tires up for sale I may be interested..... Im about 30 miles west of Chicago.

TTLex
12-15-2011, 01:56 AM
that kit would work.

They sell these kits for H2's with or without the rear air. The only difference is spacers that go under the facotry air bags for those with air ride. What most people do is replace the factory air bags with the coil springs that come with the non air bag version of the lift (which is whats for sale there I believe). The factory air seems to start sagging after time from what Ive read.

The dual shocks are for the front, you dont need them but they look cool and work perfectly fine with or without them. You could sell that dual hoop and shocks on craigslist/ ebay for a good amount of money if you didnt want to run duals in the front. You could use that money to buy some Bilstein 5100's all around, which would be a nice upgrade from the fabtech basic shocks that come with the kit.

2010_5thgen
12-15-2011, 02:49 PM
dont think i saw anyone say this yet, but make sure your backspacing is enough for the kit you get. i know with the rancho kit you need atleast a 5" backspacing on your wheels. im not sure what the backspacing is on rockstars, but check that out before you buy.

[__--MUD--__]
12-16-2011, 06:26 AM
Will this kit work with my H2? I have the air ride (not 100% what that even means aside from knowing about the auto leveling). The dual shock kit, is that just for the front? is it only needed in front?

If it works, what else would I need? You mentioned tie rods, etc..

Dude...for that price I seriously debated buying the kit myself and reselling it...but I've pissed away about 6G in H2 parts already in the last 2 months... I'd convert your bags over at this time. Awesome price.

guruerror
12-16-2011, 01:27 PM
dont think i saw anyone say this yet, but make sure your backspacing is enough for the kit you get. i know with the rancho kit you need at least a 5" backspacing on your wheels. im not sure what the backspacing is on rockstars, but check that out before you buy.
Not at LEAST a 5" BS...but at MOST a 5" BS. If your BS is more than 5 (like the stock 5.5" rims) then they won't work with the kit.

Rockstars are 4.5" BS.

2010_5thgen
12-16-2011, 01:40 PM
Not at LEAST a 5" BS...but at MOST a 5" BS. If your BS is more than 5 (like the stock 5.5" rims) then they won't work with the kit.

Rockstars are 4.5" BS.
thats what i meant to say.

guruerror
12-16-2011, 02:15 PM
thats what i meant to say.
I figured as much...I just wanted to clarify so the next person looking for these answers/info doesn't get confused.