PDA

View Full Version : Transfer case overflowing

iwillnc
12-25-2011, 08:13 PM
So While looking at something else under the truck I noticed my transfer case had had fluid leaking around it, upon checking the tightness of the plugs I found the fill plug completely loose, I pulled it out just for the hell of it and it was just gushing fluid out...

I did have someone replace the fluid, but I still don't see how it could get filled that high by itself.

Upon searching the forums I found a similar topic only it ended up with the cause of the problem being rooted to a lot of deep water fording, I have done no such thing in a quite a while, certainly not since I had the fluid changed.

The fluid is dark red in color.

Is it possible that the transmission could be leaking into the transfer case, I don't see many possibilites...

The truck seems to drive just fine..

iwillnc
12-25-2011, 09:16 PM
Ok, this is a bit wierd, I just drove it around the max temp I could get the tranny in 1 hour in 55 degfree weather was 145, I checked to see if the tranny fluid was low and it was 4 times the hot bar, and the engine was running

iwillnc
12-25-2011, 11:43 PM
Well, after dumping out 2 quarts, it definately shifts better, still both of the two tranny cooler lines where they go from

Rad>metal line>/\rubber

/\ being a bit wet around that area, see a drop on the frame rail/support below..

Only a drop from being overfilled for 6 months or so... dunno to be scared or not..

ben86
12-26-2011, 03:56 AM
check transmission oil. Overflowing may be from there.

HummerJim
12-26-2011, 02:20 PM
You're sure there is no antifreeze in your transmission oil or vica versa? There have been several failures of the radiator transmission cooler lines.

Hellz
12-26-2011, 04:43 PM
just sounds like when you had the T case fluid changed, they over filled it.

they prolly used a pump and were able to get alot of fluid in there, and/or a stupid tech working on it and just simply over filled it.

maybe i am wrong, but the tranny temp sensor does nothign for the T case. its only for the tranny.

you let it drain, so you should be good to go now

iwillnc
12-26-2011, 06:58 PM
Jim, yes that was a concern but it doesn't seem so all those seem fine, after pulling 2 quarts extra out of the Transmission everything feels smoother... almost seemed like sabatoge tbh

ben86
12-26-2011, 09:44 PM
Transmission---->Seal (broken)----->transfercase.

glennf1
12-27-2011, 05:23 AM
When you did the transfer case was it hot? Transmision fluid really expands when hot. You are supposed to fill just below the fill plug when cold.