PDA

View Full Version : Starter going bad?

accely
01-27-2012, 05:07 AM
Hey guys, I think my 05 H2 starter might be going bad...

Sometimes it clicks once and stops, just started doing it yesterday and it finally started after about 8-10 tries. Today it started fine when I went to the gym, but when I came out it took about 3 times to start, again just clicking once each time it failed.

Sounds like the starter? I just replaced the battery maybe 6 months ago so I can't believe it'd be that.

I looked on AutoPartsWarehouse website at replacement starters and they range from 120$ to almost $300... they all seem OEM so what's the big difference?

thanks!

edit -- found this here for 65$ seems legit... opinions? http://www.discountstarterandalternator.com/p-766-starter-cadillac-chevrolet-gmc-12563907-12564110.aspx

HummerJim
01-27-2012, 02:04 PM
I've had batteries go bad in a few months. When you turn on your key what does the voltage gauge on the dash read? If it's 11 or less, your battery is bad. I haven't heard of that many starters going bad on H2s, but I have heard many ignition switches in the steering column going bad. This was a pretty common problem, but I thought they fixed it with the '06s and on????

HUMTECH
01-27-2012, 07:35 PM
Next time it just clicks hit the starter with a hammer a few times while someone is holding key in the crank position, if it starts to crank your starter is bad.

accely
01-27-2012, 08:42 PM
well too late for anything, went to subway and it wouldn't start after I came out. It's in the shop now.. I'll let you know what it is.

accely
01-28-2012, 04:07 PM
Yep, it was the starter.

They mentioned my front end was pretty loose too, pitman, tie rod, idler, ball joints. Time to start looking at parts to buy I suppose. :lame: