PDA

View Full Version : Straight piped?

tyler1bo
02-01-2012, 03:02 AM
Has anyone ever thought about cutting their mufflers off? I've pondered this many times as I have buddies running straights in their NNBS 1500's w/ 5.3l's. I've never heard a 6.2L with straights..don't get me wrong I adore the sound my truck makes, but after hearing them with straights it makes me wonder what mine would be like. Any input would be great!

2010_5thgen
02-01-2012, 02:08 PM
some guys have done it with camaros and vettes....dont do it....sounds nasty at high RPM and speeds. do you have dual exhaust or the stock single?
i have the stock duals on mine and it sounds great. maybe throw some long tube headers on...just dont go strait pipes.
my buddy just put a flowmaster muffler on his denali and it sounds pretty bad ass at full gas.

tyler1bo
02-01-2012, 04:36 PM
I thought about changing the headers, maybe dynatech..idk I was just curious as to what it would sound like. And I have the cords catback system, single exit.

2010_5thgen
02-01-2012, 08:56 PM
youll never go wrong with a good set of headers. especially on the 6.2...it sounds great. OBX systems are cheap and sound good. not too loud but enough to notice it. my dad has them on his vette.

tyler1bo
02-01-2012, 11:03 PM
Okay I'll look into that..like I said I love my exhaust note, I just think sometimes it could be a little louder, and God knows I have the engine to produce it. It would only cost about 30 bucks to remove my muffler, but I've never heard it in person. I've seen one '08 that had a ZO6 cam in it and dynatech headers, I bet that thing is rowwwdy..

Stellar
02-01-2012, 11:07 PM
Has anyone ever thought about cutting their mufflers off? I've pondered this many times as I have buddies running straights in their NNBS 1500's w/ 5.3l's. I've never heard a 6.2L with straights..don't get me wrong I adore the sound my truck makes, but after hearing them with straights it makes me wonder what mine would be like. Any input would be great!

6.0L with Dynatech long tube headers, no cats, no muffler. To say it's aggressive would be an understatement. Absolutely love the sound. :beerchug:

tyler1bo
02-01-2012, 11:11 PM
I would LOVE to hear a sound clip or Youtube clip of it! How do you like your dynatech's?

Stellar
02-01-2012, 11:52 PM
I will try to get some time and post a sound clip. The dynatechs are a quality product. My custom exhaust shop was very impressed as well. Very pleased with the performance and weight savings of my set up. One would be surpised how much the stock muffler weighs. I have the dynatechs flowing into straight pipes, a custom Y-Pipe, then straight pipe again all in the stock configuration. My undercarriage is coated with high temp paint and sound deadening, but even before that the sound inside wasn't bad at all IMO. I choose this set up mainly for low end tq and clearance for off roading here in Moab. :beerchug:

tyler1bo
02-02-2012, 01:34 AM
Okay let me know if you make a sound clip or video! I bet it sounds amazing.

zdawg8394
02-02-2012, 05:38 AM
im running dual flowmaster tens and love them, i have the 6.0 and it is almost as loud as some people with trucks and straight pipes. it sounds mean. i would bet a 6.2 with header and no muffler would sound bad as*, and be hell loud. i wouldnt remove cats it gives the exhaust a popping sound i really dont like

tyler1bo
02-02-2012, 06:18 AM
Yeah I'm not a fan of the popping sound either..sounds too redneck lol. But I would love to play around with mine and see how it would sound with straights. I feel like the truck would just breath better. The headers are a definite possibility in the future.

2010_5thgen
02-02-2012, 01:57 PM
why not just put a borla catback on? the stock muffler is restricting as hell, and heavy. if i can off any modding advice on this, what ive learned from experience is start out with a simple mod that isnt the most extreme and then if you still want louder, go to the next mod you can do for it. because if you go strait to cutting the mufflers out and you dont like it, you gotta start right back at the beginning anyways and put a muffler on and then go from there. so start with a good catback. then if you want louder, go to long tubes. if you still want louder.....put a new cam in.:clapping:

guruerror
02-02-2012, 03:42 PM
I went with the Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust, Gibson shorty headers, and a K&N intake. It gave me a nice deep grumble and peppier throttle response.

The grumble does an excellent job of conveying the 'American V8' sound to those fools revving their 4-banger, Fast and Furious, Honda Civics at the stop lights...LOL.

tyler1bo
02-03-2012, 02:36 AM
why not just put a borla catback on? the stock muffler is restricting as hell, and heavy. if i can off any modding advice on this, what ive learned from experience is start out with a simple mod that isnt the most extreme and then if you still want louder, go to the next mod you can do for it. because if you go strait to cutting the mufflers out and you dont like it, you gotta start right back at the beginning anyways and put a muffler on and then go from there. so start with a good catback. then if you want louder, go to long tubes. if you still want louder.....put a new cam in.:clapping:

I have a full corsa cat back system now, and it's amazing. But I was just toying with the idea of what it would sound like with no muffler. I could run some high flow cats or change the headers, both a good possibility. But both are a heck of a lot more expensive than just cutting the muffler. And putting a new cam would make it run better but I'm not sure if I want my truck sounding like a dragster. Lol

tyler1bo
02-03-2012, 02:40 AM
I went with the Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust, Gibson shorty headers, and a K&N intake. It gave me a nice deep grumble and peppier throttle response.

The grumble does an excellent job of conveying the 'American V8' sound to those fools revving their 4-banger, Fast and Furious, Honda Civics at the stop lights...LOL.

Sounds like a good setup to me!

2010_5thgen
02-03-2012, 03:07 PM
I have a full corsa cat back system now, and it's amazing. But I was just toying with the idea of what it would sound like with no muffler. I could run some high flow cats or change the headers, both a good possibility. But both are a heck of a lot more expensive than just cutting the muffler. And putting a new cam would make it run better but I'm not sure if I want my truck sounding like a dragster. Lol
yeah but after you cut that muffler out , and dont like it, youll have way moreinvested in it than it would have cost for a set of long tubes. plus, long tubes will only run you around 500 bucks....depending on brand.

tyler1bo
02-03-2012, 05:19 PM
Yeah I think I'll just go for the long tubes..don't know when that will be but I'd love to put them on there someday.

EuroHummer
02-14-2012, 06:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUgxHQaXREg

Listen to the Dynatechs, Magnaflow and high flow cats.

Oh, some major engine mods helped too.....

tyler1bo
02-14-2012, 06:49 PM
sounds awesome!!

Hellz
02-14-2012, 07:48 PM
how much did the custom exhaust cost?

Since i am deployed, i have alot of time to build my wish list, and this is about 2nd on my list.. right after regear to 4.88's

can you give a somewhat detailed list?

headers
cats
parts and labor for install and tube bending/cutting
muffler(s)

would this be a job that a simple muffler shop can handle?
Mineke, or something like that?

i would like to order the headers and mufflers before i get home, and just drop the h2 off and let them take care of the rest..

thanks

Stellar
02-14-2012, 08:22 PM
Sounds great. IMO Hummers should sound like that from the factory.

hummerboy3
02-15-2012, 02:23 AM
Just install the Magnaflow hi flow cat and Borla exhaust for my 07 H2 and sounded great and no complaint at all. Love it and also notice the power did improve as well!

EuroHummer
02-15-2012, 12:44 PM
Hellz where you at? I am in Kabul right now.

Google Dynatech headers and ensure you get the high flow cats in the kit.
they are very high quality, and long tube as well.http://www.dynatechheaders.com/sm_hummer_h2.html

I highly recommend the mangnflow system. Its available at http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=magnaflow%20hummer%20h2&dds=1

If for any reason you want to dress up your engine, the MSD coils look and work great. My dad makes the mounts to put them on a Hummer (or any Gen III engine). Here is a pic of the mounts and coils if your interested.

Hellz
02-15-2012, 06:12 PM
im vacationing over in Kuwait...
im National guard, and this seems more like a year long annual training.

i cant wait for this deployment to be done with..

its my 3rd one in 9 years, and at the end of this deployment, i will have been deployed 4 of those 9 years, not counting any schools or anything.

Ill be heading to Ft Gordon right after this deployment for MOS reclass to 25B.

i did see a dynatech setup that included the hi-flow cats for like 1600. i just glanced it over, so i dont know if thats just the headers and cats, or if it is a complete setup (i doubt it).

EuroHummer
02-17-2012, 05:17 PM
I think my complete set up was about 1600 bucks.