PDA

View Full Version : Brake pedal can be pushed nearly completely down to the floor when standing

ffl
02-15-2012, 09:44 PM
i recognized that when my H2 is standing and the engine is running, i can push the brake pedal slowly completely down to the floor. it takes a bit more effort that when breaking normally but it's not necessary to push like crazy.
also when doing this, it sounds a bit like when the steering wheel is turned to the end stop.

the brakes work normally all the time, also when driving very slowly or at higher speed.

is this normal?

zdawg8394
02-16-2012, 12:58 AM
mine do the same thing... sounds like air realeasing almost. i really think its fine

[__--MUD--__]
02-16-2012, 05:02 AM
that isn't right... that noise you are hearing is your powersteering pump getting dragged down or the belt slipping.

if your not aware, your brakes are a hydroboost system which is run off your powersteering pump.

My service manuals are at the shop, but i think w/ the truck off- pump the brakes 4 times hard, hold the pedal down on the last pump and start the truck. I believe it should pump up, or feel the pedal push back on you.

My rigs been torn apart for 8 months under a massive rebuild otherwise I'd go out and confirm that for you.

ffl
02-16-2012, 08:38 AM
thanks for your replies.

i know that it's a hydro boost brake. i also found an article in the internet about hydro boost brakes and they say that it's normal that you hear a certain noise when you push your brake pedal harder that normal.
when i push with normal force, there is no noise.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/6829161/Operation-Diagnosis-and-Repair-of-HYDROBOOST

problem is that no matter where you search, when you find posts about this topic, there are always some who say that this is all normal and other ones who say that this should not be...

s_c5519
02-16-2012, 03:46 PM
What year is your H2? If it's an 09, I heard there's no more hydroboost... All the 08's and 09's I have been in have that hissing sound. I have not heard it on 07's and under...

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38585

ffl
02-16-2012, 04:09 PM
i have a 2005 h2. in the link i've posted they say that there are normal hissing noises when pushing the brake pedal harder than normal if you have a hydro boost.

did you hear that noise when braking with normal effort?

i only get that nosie when pushing the brake hardly. and i only tested it when the car is not moving.
but honestly i'm not sure how a hydro boost hissing noise exactly sounds like...

s_c5519
02-16-2012, 10:53 PM
i have a 2005 h2. in the link i've posted they say that there are normal hissing noises when pushing the brake pedal harder than normal if you have a hydro boost.

did you hear that noise when braking with normal effort?

i only get that nosie when pushing the brake hardly. and i only tested it when the car is not moving.
but honestly i'm not sure how a hydro boost hissing noise exactly sounds like...

Yes, even if I press the brake very lightly I hear it on my 08. It's happens mainly on the first press though, meaning if I am stopping slowly at a light, it will only make that hiss one time at the first press...

[__--MUD--__]
02-17-2012, 06:14 AM
"steering wheel is turned to the end stop" isn't a hissing noise... That coming from the pump. If your just talking about the hiss when you hit the pedal- thats normal.

ffl
02-17-2012, 08:25 AM
if the infos in the link i posted are correct, then why does a correct working hydro boost brake produce hissing noises when pushing the pedal harder than in a normal braking situation and produce no noises when braking not that hard? and they are talking about the level of pressure on the pedal and not how fast you are hitting it, i think.

by the way, i also think that the noise is coming from the pump, but i don't know if it's normal. could be that the pressure in the system is rising during hard braking...

Yetti
02-17-2012, 03:29 PM
see this all the time.
First off even if the engine was off the hydro boosts accumulator hold about 5 pedal pumps worth of effort.
I believe what you guys are seeing is the bad master cylinder. if you apply the brakes very slowly its like you can step past the pedal effort of normal brakes?
when you step on them or jab them as you apply they work normal?

I suspect the seals and bore are wearing. I see it more on Burbs but its the same. the bore wears where the most action is. the problem with that is the seals wear also. when the seal lip is worn to where it can't expand and follow the shape of the bore it lets fluid slip by. that's what your seeing. when you jab the brakes you expand the seals enough to catch fluid and work normal.

replace the Master cylinder and things should be normal again.

ffl
02-17-2012, 04:17 PM
perhaps it could be like that. when the car is not moving it's possible to slowly push the pedal all the way down when applying enough force.
it's way more force that is necessary to hold the car in place.

when driving, the brakes work like they should and there's no problem.

is it really necessary to already change the cylinder or can i leave it like that at the moment? i mean normal braking is no problem even when braking very slowly, also hard braking when driving is no problem.

by the way, how long does the hydro boosts accumulator hold the pressure to get brake assist when the engine is not running? is it only for an short time, say 10 minutes or does it last for a much longer time, several weeks or so?

s_c5519
02-17-2012, 04:22 PM
see this all the time.
First off even if the engine was off the hydro boosts accumulator hold about 5 pedal pumps worth of effort.
I believe what you guys are seeing is the bad master cylinder. if you apply the brakes very slowly its like you can step past the pedal effort of normal brakes?
when you step on them or jab them as you apply they work normal?

I suspect the seals and bore are wearing. I see it more on Burbs but its the same. the bore wears where the most action is. the problem with that is the seals wear also. when the seal lip is worn to where it can't expand and follow the shape of the bore it lets fluid slip by. that's what your seeing. when you jab the brakes you expand the seals enough to catch fluid and work normal.

replace the Master cylinder and things should be normal again.

Well in my case, I currently have two 08's and both do the same thing. I have had another 08 before and a brand new 09 from the factory do the exact same thing too. I am hoping I did not get 5 bad copies in a row. lol...

So I don't want to panic anyone into thinking somethings wrong. I am guessing all 08-09's have that sound. In the case of his '05 though, I have no clue...