PDA

View Full Version : ROUGH RIDE AFTER COIL SPRING INSTALL

whitehummer
02-19-2012, 06:03 PM
IM hoping to get some advise on what to do next. i recently changed over to coil springs and a torsion lift and 37in tires.
I also changed pitman, idler, tie rod ends.

The ride is so tough now. when i get a speed bump it feels like I'm landing on the frame. and very loud.
Will shocks help? or?

thanks in advance

zdawg8394
02-19-2012, 07:47 PM
mine are cranked about 2 inches. and my ride did not suffer enough for me to notice.

how high did you crank it? i know it will change the ride but not enough to feel as if you are bottoming out the suspension.

whitehummer
02-19-2012, 08:12 PM
they are only half cranked. is it possible that all the weight in rear is on the springs and new shocks would help?

Indy
02-19-2012, 09:23 PM
Check the clearance on the front upper metal bump stops. If you are touching them with the upper a-arms, then you don't have any downward flex. Also, did you install extended shock brackets up front? And don't forget, coil spring suspension is a bit harsher than the air suspension and if you crank the front, you also stiffen the suspension a bit.

zdawg8394
02-19-2012, 10:21 PM
i agree with indy, could be a combo of the crank. and new springs in rear.

may just be you are not used to it.

[__--MUD--__]
02-20-2012, 04:07 AM
I just dont get why people continue to screw around cranking on those keys... Just barely gives you enough clearance running 37's. If you ever have to really slam on the brakes, that nice big pinchweld (hiding behing the liner) on the firewall is going to love slicing into your front tires.

zdawg8394
02-20-2012, 04:22 AM
ive heard that a few times... but ive never heard of it happening

[__--MUD--__]
02-20-2012, 07:40 PM
Who would actually admit that happened to them after being warned about it?

zdawg8394
02-21-2012, 02:42 AM
good question. this summer i do plan on doing the cognito kit... should make it easier on the front end

whitehummer
02-22-2012, 03:19 PM
i installed the front shock extenders and the bump clears buy 3 inches.

the shocks are original

i understand that the coils will be stiffer than the air system but no one would put up with the ride i ended up with. It feels and sounds like i am riding on center blocks. And its mostly in the rear. But the front is also stiff.

Any ideas about the wandering on the hwy. i replaced the gearbox but if i hold the steering bar connecting from the wheel to the box i can move it back and forth about half inch each way.

I'm no sure if i bleed the system out right.

thanks everyone for the help

what a mess i have...lol

whitehummer
02-24-2012, 02:25 PM
Check the clearance on the front upper metal bump stops. If you are touching them with the upper a-arms, then you don't have any downward flex. Also, did you install extended shock brackets up front? And don't forget, coil spring suspension is a bit harsher than the air suspension and if you crank the front, you also stiffen the suspension a bit.

i took some pics to show you

cecil-1
02-25-2012, 01:17 PM
in the third pic it looks like the upper control arm is sitting on the frame stop.
check and see if it is. That would deff cause your rough ride. I had the same thing happen when i cranked mine up. Replaced them with the cognitos and that fixed the rough ride and the alignment shop could get the alignment back in specs.

whitehummer
02-26-2012, 05:21 AM
They are resting on frame. I started replacing the ball joints today and thought that might bring them up a bit but not enough I'm sure. So what exactly are you suggesting I do? Thanks