PDA

View Full Version : Tonneau Cover Gas Lift Springs

SUT-UP
03-09-2012, 03:18 PM
Not sure if this has been tackled or not but I couldn't find anything through search.

Does anyone know the proper newtons rating for the OEM Tonneau's lift springs. Mine has a "550" engraved on it but nothing else. I tried to cross reference the stock numbers with an aftermarket pair. Without the lift rating I really can't buy a proper set. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

charles06
03-09-2012, 06:04 PM
Not sure how "proper" they have to be, but you can go to your local parts store and just start comparing what they have. Also, they don't have to be an exact match.

zdawg8394
03-09-2012, 06:51 PM
mine are almost shot also.they barely hold it open. i will probably just get some that are the right length and slap them on. it wont hurt if they are a little stronger than stock.

SUT-UP
03-09-2012, 07:19 PM
Had an impatient morning in the office so mathematically figured it out by the weight of the cover. They should be around 120 pounds each to get the "lift" they are intended to do. If you just want it to hold the cover in place you will need significantly less.

Thanks for the responses though guys.

charles06
03-09-2012, 07:37 PM
I replaced mine with some that were stronger. It would pop up almost too quickly at first, but they've worn out a bit since.

H2R
03-10-2012, 02:47 AM
Given the information in this thread I would probally come to the conclusion that they are 500N type when you divide the approx 120 lift to be 54.5 KG you would also have to calculate overall length and circumference and know the variables. Temperature will always affect the lift pressure.

(You wont need to do the calculations and pay for custom building)

http://www.car-stuff.com/mmparts/hummer-h2/trunk_strut.html