PDA

View Full Version : Viper Smart Start Feedback

rmutchler
03-11-2012, 01:10 PM
Hello all. Considering having the Viper Smart Start system installed on my truck, any feedback from any who have or know about this system? Reviewed a few threads from a year or two ago, nothing recent. Thanks.

H2Much
03-11-2012, 08:26 PM
Hi, just thought I would pipe in and give you my opinion. As many others have stated before I am sure, if you go to replace the deck or the alarm system, you are going to run into some crappy issues with your battery all of a sudden dying on a reguler basis. I don't know why, but for some reason when you put in the databus (a little computer box that allows stuff to talk to each other) for the deck or the Viper, as you need it for either or the aftermarket stuff, it causes this issue.

I personally have troubleshot it to hell and back and still do not have a solution. I have both Viper system and aftermarket deck. I have gone throught the lengths to disconnect completely the factory amp, install a switch to cut power from the deck to the battery, had current draw measured for days with the car sitting, and on and on. I am now having a solar panel installed on my truck to keep it getting charge from day to day as I do not have an area to plug it in for a battery tender. Though I like the Viper and the deck, I just want you to be aware of what you are in for upon doing it. Unless it is a daily driver, have a plan as to how you are going to charge it daily, otherwise it is toast.

Or, you can just have a solar panel put on your ride like I am doing on mine, and then it will charge anywhere, anytime, everyday.:)

pdxrealtor
03-12-2012, 12:51 AM
I have smart start, OEM deck/NAV, with a GM lock pick installed for video and reverse cam.

I have an Optima red top. My battery will die if it sits for more than 3 weeks, otherwise it's good to go.

You can get a kill switch that senses voltage and when voltage drops below XX the kill switch will disconnect the battery. They're pretty cheap and easy to install.

RE: the Viper Smart Start. Love it. Not all the features work, like turn car on at certain cabin temp, or turn car on at certain voltage, etc... I was told this is because these features are incompatible with GM. If someone knowns different I'd like to know.

I always had communication problems using the smart phone app on Android, but never once been left with a communication error using the iPhone.

It's convenient, and I use mine daily.

Hope this helps

Vettster
03-12-2012, 06:45 PM
I had the Viper installed at the dealer on my 06.
I didn't like it.
There were so many false alarms with it the only time i really needed it, the alarm went off and I ignored it. Got out to the truck and found the window broken out.
Just don't get the fob anywhere near water either. They are a bitch to replace.
My battery (Optima) would go dead in 3 days.

rmutchler
03-12-2012, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys, lots to consider. My battery goes dead after 3 weeks of sitting now, sure don't wish to shorten that time. I have the Scosche Bluefusion module installed to Bluetooth my phone and stream audio with no affects on the battery so far.

guruerror
03-12-2012, 07:57 PM
I have smart start, OEM deck/NAV, with a GM lock pick installed for video and reverse cam.

I have an Optima red top. My battery will die if it sits for more than 3 weeks, otherwise it's good to go.

You can get a kill switch that senses voltage and when voltage drops below XX the kill switch will disconnect the battery. They're pretty cheap and easy to install.

RE: the Viper Smart Start. Love it. Not all the features work, like turn car on at certain cabin temp, or turn car on at certain voltage, etc... I was told this is because these features are incompatible with GM. If someone knowns different I'd like to know.

I always had communication problems using the smart phone app on Android, but never once been left with a communication error using the iPhone.

It's convenient, and I use mine daily.

Hope this helps
Google "priority start" or go to http://www.prioritystart.com/. I bought one...haven't installed it yet. I just plopped in a Optima yellow top; we'll see how it goes.

[__--MUD--__]
03-12-2012, 10:29 PM
if your batteries are dying in less than three weeks, then someone ****ed up something on your rigs, your batteries were **** or you had defective equipment out of the box. I had issues for months- swore it was the viper and finally traced the current draws to other mods, never the viper or kenwood deck.

2010_5thgen
03-13-2012, 03:46 PM
i was going to getthis system installed on my truck until i found out the car only starts IF the server isnt busy....and most of the time it is. for having to pay a monthly fee, you figure it would work every time...but its not that simple.
i did put an auto start on my car. python. cost me 100 bucks installed. justa single button to start itup. works every time for me so far. got it on my wifes camry and my silverado too.