PDA

View Full Version : Bedliner on Chrome Gas Cap

SUT-UP
03-22-2012, 09:09 PM
I know someone(s) on here has sprayed their chrome gas cap with bedliner.

Any fitment issues??

SUT-UP
03-26-2012, 04:35 PM
Nothing huh? Ok I guess we are going to have to find out the old fashioned way.:dancingbanana:

guruerror
03-26-2012, 04:41 PM
Well...I sprayed my aftermarket cap with bedliner; and it fit the same...no issues. The spray-on bedliner isn't much thicker that spray paint, so you should be fine.

Line-X might be a different story...

Make sure you rough it up with some sand paper first...but you prolly already know that.

SUT-UP
03-26-2012, 06:43 PM
I knew after all the black trucks on here someone must have taken the less expensive way to a black cover. Thank you much Guru.

Humvee21
03-26-2012, 07:28 PM
You could always try Plasti Dip

guruerror
03-26-2012, 07:29 PM
You could always try Plasti Dip
...but that crap peels off. Bedliner is forever!
...well, for quite a while.

SUT-UP
03-26-2012, 08:37 PM
Yea. I am still not crazy about the PlastiDip. I wish deathshead67 would have posted a recent picture of the 5 month mark instead of the original sprayed picture of his grille on the other thread. I am going to stick with the bedliner.

Humvee21
03-26-2012, 09:47 PM
I fully agree; however, Plasti Dip is so prominent in today's automotive modification industry that I think you'd be making a mistake not trying it out. People have been using this stuff on their wheels and it has been holding up well. Also, if you ever consider selling your vehicle you have the option of peeling it off to reveal the way it was from the factory (or at least before you sprayed it :D)

guruerror
03-26-2012, 09:53 PM
Sell? NEVER!

Humvee21
03-26-2012, 10:00 PM
Sell? NEVER!

I agree once again :)

But you never know what circumstances might come up. Anyways, if you heard they started up production again I bet many would trade up for a newer one.

LoJac963
03-29-2012, 10:02 AM
Here is a quick pic of mine I sprayed with Plasti Dip the other night, washed the truck and got it back on earlier today. Turned out awesome, blows away the chrome look anyday!! I did have to spray around the edge of the lip where your finger goes to open the door to prevent any peeling. We'll see how it holds up, worst case I'll end up buying a black locking door but I'm farily confident in the Plasti-Dip.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e248/LoJac963/Hummer%20H2/FuelDoor.jpg

guruerror
03-29-2012, 12:39 PM
Looks sharp! Just be careful not to get gas on it...that might start to break it down.

SUT-UP
03-29-2012, 01:02 PM
Looks good. Hopefully it holds up for you.

Humvee21
03-29-2012, 05:01 PM
Looks good! Did you plastdip the taillight guards as well?

LoJac963
03-30-2012, 12:29 AM
I will be babying it for sure, got gas for the first time today after spraying it and was very careful. The tail light guards I bought in black so they're just factory black. Thanks for the comments everyone!

SUT-UP
04-07-2012, 11:52 PM
Succombed to the plastidip. Mixed feelings. Sprayed the gascap and wifes gmc emblem. Gascap came out decent. Look i was going for definitely. Wifes emblem is whole different story. Sprayed on the truck just taped it off. Once sprayed had to slice each edge with a razor blade to get tape to peel away from emblem without peeling the coating. She wasn't a fan of how easily it lifted off. Ended up peeling it off. It came off in two minutes which i guess is the most positive thing out of the product. I really can't see a practical use for it other than as a temporary solution. The look is superb but the inevitable is that all the work to use the plastidip is going to either have to be done again or the correct prep work and painted will need to be done.
Overall i am giving the product a B-
Has a great temporary look and hopefully it lasts for a decent time in the gascap. Ease of use when taping is awful. More fine cutting time than prep and spray. Best of luck to anyone who goes this route. I will keep you updated on its appearance.

LoJac963
04-08-2012, 11:13 PM
I will agree with you, its ease of removal is also a downfall. When I reinstalled my fuel door the bottom allen bolt twisted the rubber and pulled it away from the bolt hole. I have to cut it away with a blade and respray the bottom of the door.....which I'm still having issues with so I as well have some mixed feelings. I may say the hell with it and order the GM locking black door.

SUT-UP
04-09-2012, 01:06 PM
I filled up for the first time today with it. No issues. I am not crazy about the texture on it. I think it is going to last me until the next sunny day and then get stripped, sanded, and bedlined. I should have went with the original plan, however I am glad that I did try it so I know to rule it out next time.

Humvee21
04-09-2012, 04:11 PM
I apologize for misleading you to plastidip, then...

SUT-UP
04-09-2012, 04:14 PM
No worries. Could have turned out the other way. Got to live to learn.

LoJac963
04-09-2012, 11:08 PM
I agree, good thing is a can of the stuff is dirt cheap so its not like trying it out burned a hole in our pockets. I'm going to keep it on my fuel door as long as I can-bringing myself to blow $200 for a black locking fuel door is hard to do lol.

SUT-UP
04-10-2012, 03:43 PM
Yes, Locking cover will soon need to be on my truck. Gas at $4.50 here and 30 gallons sitting in the truck is like taping 20's on the windows and hoping people are honest. :raar:

guruerror
04-10-2012, 03:49 PM
Yes, Locking cover will soon need to be on my truck. Gas at $4.50 here and 30 gallons sitting in the truck is like taping 20's on the windows and hoping people are honest. :raar:
Your post got me thinking about the 'block' that they put in newer tanks to supposedly guard against siphoning; so I started Googling and stumbled on this video.

These guys have siphoning down to a science...and the one dude's pretty funny. They make me glad I already have a locking door...LOL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp3Sl9VUcN0&noredirect=1

SUT-UP
04-10-2012, 04:47 PM
Yea. During our the Northeast October snowstorm we were without power for roughly 10 days. I have a feeling people def resorted to this method. No ATM No CreditCards no fuel pumps. People get desperate rather quickly.