PDA

View Full Version : how the F do these come off?

orlasttoy
04-01-2012, 01:22 AM
finally decided to take the rutsy ole' sidesteps off to repaint (not sure with what yet)

but how does the the plastic step insert come off?? im pullin & yankin but dont wanna break the thing!

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a325/orlasTToy/photo-1.jpg

glennf1
04-01-2012, 03:26 AM
I think you just bend out on the edges a little and they come off.

Definately post what you end up using for a close match on the paint. I was thinking a hammered paint will look somewhat similar to the original powercoat.

orlasttoy
04-01-2012, 04:35 PM
ANYTHING will look better than it does now!

Whatever it is, I'm also gonna do the brushguard & taillight guards (IF i can get the right one off...stripped the fargan hex screw!!!:mad: )

guruerror
04-02-2012, 08:26 PM
Duplicolor spray-on bedliner. I did my rock rails (among other things) with this and it all turned out great. I'd take some pics, but my trucks rarely clean enough for a photo shoot.

orlasttoy
04-02-2012, 08:55 PM
that looks like it would be perfect...did one 16 oz can suffice or did you use the 128 oz kit?

128 oz seems a bit much...prob to do an actual liner...

thanks!

guruerror
04-02-2012, 09:08 PM
that looks like it would be perfect...did one 16 oz can suffice or did you use the 128 oz kit?

128 oz seems a bit much...prob to do an actual liner...

thanks!
I'd grab two cans (maybe three) of the aerosol (16.5 oz.) for your job.. The 32 and 128 oz. are for applying with a compressor or roller kit...I've exclusively used the aerosol (rattle can) and can tell you it's some great sh!t.

Be certain to get the product shown here (blue can): http://www.duplicolor.com/products/truckBedCoating/
...it'll dry to a nice hard, textured finish.

I recently tried their other product Bed Armor aerosol: http://www.duplicolor.com/products/bedArmorAerosol/ ...this product has polyurethane in it so it is more rubberized. It was like a hard undercoating. I feel that excessive abrasions could scuff this more easily than the first product so wouldn't recommend it for your application. It's also not as easy to touch up...the polyurethane makes it difficult to sand; as it peels and balls up; and it's so thick that scuffs and marks go 'deep' in the product making a simple spray over very noticeable.

The blue can is a breeze to touch up...just shoot a light coat over the scuff/mark and you'll never know that it was ever there.

orlasttoy
04-02-2012, 09:25 PM
thanks alot...appreciate the help

now to get that one last stripped bolt out :mad:

glennf1
04-03-2012, 02:24 AM
Are you having issues with the bedliner peeling off? I would love that look but also don't want to be touching it up constantly too.

guruerror
04-03-2012, 03:18 AM
Are you having issues with the bedliner peeling off? I would love that look but also don't want to be touching it up constantly too.
Nope...not on anything I've sprayed (plastic or metal); but I always prep before spraying (sanding, cleaning and whatnot).

It's great stuff.

orlasttoy
04-10-2012, 04:28 PM
mini-update:

i ended up taking the brush guard & taillight guards off as well.
got myself a steel brush for the drill & am gonna give it hell this weekend...
will post pix when i eventually get this done :)

orlasttoy
04-10-2012, 04:29 PM
and i still havent gotten the plastic "steps" off...the original question! :)