PDA

View Full Version : Faint rapping coming from the engine, kinda freaked out

markdoddridge
04-11-2012, 04:52 PM
I just pulled in to work about 20 minutes ago and as i was idling in the parking spot i noticed a faint rapping. More like a ticking actually. Ive never heard this before and its kinda freaking me out.

Is my H2 dying? shes an 04 and has 90k miles

tiny2012
04-11-2012, 06:10 PM
if its ticking i would check for broken exhaust manifold bolts,i just went thru this on my 05,had a broken bolt on both sides....usually on cold startup...

markdoddridge
04-11-2012, 08:34 PM
if its ticking i would check for broken exhaust manifold bolts,i just went thru this on my 05,had a broken bolt on both sides....usually on cold startup...

This sounds like a relatively easy fix, is it just a matter of replacing the bolts?

Easy Ed
04-11-2012, 09:03 PM
If it is the exhaust bolts, sometimes easy, sometimes not so easy......

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41269

Indy
04-11-2012, 10:54 PM
Sounds easy ;) Usually not so easy :crying: Be extra careful when taking the bolts out. Use penetrating spray well before even trying to take them out, otherwise you might brake one of (the stock ones are very weak). Good luck finding the problem, but it ticking is a symptom of a broken exhaust manifold or missing bolts. Usually though it is more apparent when the engine is cold, since when it heats up, the metal expands and usually seals small gaps.

markdoddridge
04-11-2012, 11:01 PM
Ok just went to lunch and the ticking is gone. Thanks for everything guys! At least i know i have a while to diagnose/fix the problem now

iwillnc
04-13-2012, 12:23 AM
Also 6.0s have the cold start problems, Almost every 6.0 I hear about in the 2500's get the cold start up ticking, I'd suggest synthetic oil if you believe it to be that.

LoJac963
04-13-2012, 12:44 AM
I just hit 38k on my 06 and just heard this ticking the other day. My first thought was either idler or tensioner pully but it went away after a couple mins. I'm more familiar with the LS2 engine which is similiar and I know that engine never made sounds at startup. So as mentioned above it could just be our engines, exhaust mani, pully which I thought or something else.