PDA

View Full Version : Urgent help needed with wiring problem.

smileynialley
04-12-2012, 06:04 PM
Hi guys,

I was re-wiring my headunit to my headrest monitors today and while doing it a red wire sparked on the metal work and took out my headunit.

This is the red wire:

http://i42.tinypic.com/10wlf79.jpg

It is fairly thick and appears to be a power supply cable but was not attched to anything and had a bare end. It was located underneath the centre console/armrest and runs from the dashboard area..

This cable no longer has power to it so im assuming the head unit and the cable are running off the same power feed.

I have tested each fuse under the bonnet and they are all fine.

The head unit appears to have a permenant live still running to it as there is a small red light on the side of it but it will not turn on to normal operating mode.

Can anyone help or shed some light on how i get this cable and head unit working again.

smileynialley
04-12-2012, 09:47 PM
spent the night hunting for signs of where this problem is comming from and found another fuse box behind the dash (didnt know this was here) and foun d burnt out fuse... problem solved. still not sure what the red wire does though.

twr
04-12-2012, 10:01 PM
Hi it may have been for something else the other owner had hooked up. Tape it up good and leave it, you will find out if something doesn't work and needs that wire.

giant h2
04-25-2012, 03:21 AM
check the fuse panel on the driver side of dash with the drivers door open for access. if it had power but doesnt you blew a fuse. If you find the fuse that may tell you what is was for? Are there signs of any aftermarket accessories? any holes drilled that dont belong etc?

smileynialley
04-25-2012, 10:46 PM
thanks guys, i found the blown fuse behind the dash, have no idea what it was for. the only things that would involve any 12v power supply in that area would be the dvd player in the console, the rear controls in the console and the headrest monitors. all of these items have their own 12v power supply linked into their harnesses so this red wire is not used to any of that. im thinking it may be for an aftermarket subwoofer or something.