PDA

View Full Version : How to:connect headrest screen to headunit.

smileynialley
04-15-2012, 05:53 PM
How to: connect factory hummer headrest monitors to aftermarked head unit.

Right..

If you take up the centre console armest bucket, you will find 2 thick black cables that come from the dashboard area. These have a female plug on the end of them which look like "S-Video" plugs but are actually "8 pin mini din" plugs.

Connected to these are another 2 thick black cables which lead into each of the front seats and then into the headrest monitors.

What i did was..

Unplug the male and female "8pin min din" plugs from eachother and cut out the female end (the end that goes into the dash area). Do this with the power off and cut far enough back so that you are left with 6 or 7 inches on the end of the plug, then tape the end off and leave it.

This will leave you with just the headrest cables in there so all you need to do now is connect the headunit to these plugs.

the way you do this is..

take the female end you cut out earier and strip back the insulation so you can see each of the colours.

That will leave you with this:
http://i39.tinypic.com/jsi04k.jpg

From Left to Right:

Yellow- Audio

Back with White and silver inside- White and silver are AV input

Red- Audio

Black- Power positive

Black with white red and silver - silver is power negative and i think the white and red is a second AV input although i havent used these.

To get the image from the headunit to the headrests:

Connect an AV wire into the AV out (yellow) plug in the back of the headunit and then connect it to the white and silver wires shown above(2nd from the left).(you will need to strip back the end of the AV cable for this).

Then connect a 12v power source to the Black wire (4th from the left) and the silver wire (1st form the right) shown above and hey presto.

If you want audio to come through the headrest monitors (through the headphone out plug) you will need to run 2 cables from the headunit (AV out RED and WHITE usually) and connect them to the red and yellow wires in the same way as the visual.

I havent done this because the sound form the DVD will be comming through the speakers anyway.

If you want to attach another AV source to the headrests so you can change between the headunit dvd and something else(playstation etc) i think you just do the exact same thing form the other source(playstation etc) to the white and red wire shown above. Dont take my word for this bit because i havent actually tested this.

I Hope this helps.

Niall

smileynialley
04-15-2012, 05:54 PM
Does anyone know how to remove the 2nd row seat headrests?
i read that it was the same as removing the front headrests but there dont appear to be any pinholes to put the paperclips in.
thanks
Niall

smileynialley
04-21-2012, 05:44 PM
BUMP,
I have another headrest with monitor being delivered soon and would like to replace the stock headrests in the 2nd row with it so the 3rd row seats have a screen.
any ideas how to take the headrests out of the 2nd row?

smileynialley
03-31-2013, 11:43 AM
UPDATE:
A few days ago the screens stopped working properly. If the left was on, the right would stop working and if they were both on they would both stop working and so on.
Basically there wasn't enough power in the AV video signal to split evenly between the two screens at the same time. (not sure ow this happened because it's been workign fine up until now).
Anyway, to fix this I got an RCA (composite) Video amplifier/splitter. I changed the connections on the headrest monitors to a composite plug so this way, each screen has their own video signal direct from the amplifier.
Works a treat.