PDA

View Full Version : PA (Public Address) installation

SUT-UP
04-19-2012, 07:25 PM
Bringing this thread back.

Yepp and Guru What's going on?

Yepp, What PA did you use and how does it look from the dash side?

Guru, Did you just make a blank for where the onstar buttons were or did you leave your onstar in?

I want to do a combo CB/PA in the spot where the Onstar is located. Read the install about the Redneck Onstar on the other forums. That looked good but all the smaller CB's are without a PA system. I found one cobra that may work. Wanted to get your inputs. I wish that Cobra 75 remote CB came with a PA function. It would make it the perfect install for right there. I mostly want the PA but can't justify not having a CB also.

What you guys got going on for opinions?

Thanks in advance.

guruerror
04-19-2012, 07:35 PM
I fabbed a blank for my OnStar spot out of plexiglass and fiberglass resin then sprayed it with some bedliner to match the rest of the dash.

I agree...I wish my Cobra had the PA. I'm actually getting ready to yank the CB and install a PA. I never use the CB except to listen and it makes more sense to use the Bearcat for that.

SUT-UP
04-19-2012, 07:38 PM
What are you going to use for a PA? Any Ideas?

guruerror
04-19-2012, 07:40 PM
What are you going to use for a PA? Any Ideas?
LOL! I was just ready to ask you for ideas...check this one out: http://www.amazon.com/Assured-Performance-Police-Sound-Microphone/dp/B001L9ZS5G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1334860691&sr=8-2

I'm not too sure about the brand, but it gets some good marks. I'd rather have something that was labeled 'rugged' or 'water resistant' though.

SUT-UP
04-19-2012, 07:49 PM
I was thinking about going with the Whelen product. It is definitely going to be a costlier route, but my buddies wrangler has the Cobra CB w/ PA system and its way too quite for me. Plus always have to 1-up the wrangler.

http://www.whelen.com/_AUTOMOTIVE/details_prod.php?head_id=9&cat_id=68&prod_id=187

Its got a good detail about it:
http://www.whelen.com/install/133/13327.pdf

Seems like it may be a way to go and then just install the Onstar CB without a Pa like HumminNBoatin did. I wont use the CB other than listening except when on a trail or roadtrips. So I can just leave the CB microphone detached and have the Whelen attached and visible. Or the entire Whelen system in the center console and the CB microphone exposed

guruerror
04-19-2012, 07:58 PM
Check out Carson too...http://www.thepublicsafetystore.com/sirens.html

I've got the HA-150 stutter horn and it's a real attention getter. LOL! I think I'm lean toward the SA-385, mainly because I've already got the Carson speaker installed.

SUT-UP
04-19-2012, 08:08 PM
I like that it is 100watt speaker and output. That is a huge difference from the 20 of almost everything but the Whelen. Pending a little more research and measurements we may have found a winner. I like the SA-441 with the remote mount. Can remote mount that whole thing in the dash and then run the faceplate up to somewhere visible. That might be the choice. Appreciate the info. Big fan of you interior setups. At some point I will get around to posting some more pictures. Being on 3 different vehicle forums makes it tough to keep up with everything.

I will let you know what I go with. Other things are first but this is near before summer for sure. Let me know what you go with.:beerchug: Thank again bro.

guruerror
04-19-2012, 08:18 PM
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the 385. I agree the 441 is sweet with the mounting plate...I like that option.

I'm waiting on some upgraded LCD touchscreens to arrive to swap out with the units in in the dash; I'll take that opportunity to pull the Cobra and get this Carson put in.

I never really thought much about a PA until a week or so ago when a guy in a jacked up FX4 pull up beside me, chirped the siren and said "Nice truck." I immediately felt my neck get red and I told myself, "Ooooooo...yeah, I need one of those!"

Thanks for the compliments...definitely throw up some pics when you get the time. I'll snap a pic of the where I've got my Carson slim speaker installed behind the grill to give you an idea of how well it fits.

mightyepp
04-20-2012, 12:15 AM
I used Hornblastes PA. It looked good, but it was a little more narrow. So I filled the OnStar slot with a scanner and mounted the PA inside the center console. Too many friends were having fun with the PA and sirens while I was driving.

http://s1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff446/mightyepp/2003%20Hummer%20H2/?action=view&current=DSC00224.jpg

guruerror
04-20-2012, 12:26 AM
I was browsing through your pics on Photobucket:

1. Nice Cobra
2. You've got me thinking about trying to get the Bearcat in the OnStar spot
3. Can you get me a close-up shot and more info on the rear off-road lights you've got installed in the bumper divots.

Nice looking ride!

mightyepp
04-20-2012, 04:47 PM
I was browsing through your pics on Photobucket:

1. Nice Cobra
2. You've got me thinking about trying to get the Bearcat in the OnStar spot
3. Can you get me a close-up shot and more info on the rear off-road lights you've got installed in the bumper divots.

Nice looking ride!
I'm currently out of the country until July. But the lights are the Delta Back Up lights.

SUT-UP
04-23-2012, 12:58 PM
Yepp

Truck looks great. Love the install of the scanner and Remote CB.

Guru I think I have decided on the 385 also, and am just going to do an install in the center console. I will figure out what cb I want eventually. I might make a mold for over the left driveside vent to house a smaller cb. I always thought that was a great underutilized space.

Lemme know when you get your 385 hooked up and how you like it.

guruerror
04-23-2012, 02:29 PM
The 385 should be here this week...I'll prolly tackle the install this weekend if the weather warms up.

I agree with your thoughts on the space above the vent...definitely underutilized, especially given those silly, mock 'cowl ventilators' they put on our hood. I toyed with a couple ideas for that space...even purchased one of the SpeedHut gauge pods (http://www.speedhut.com/product_detail-AUTO_NUMBER-584.htm) but nothing seemed to 'work' for me. Maybe that'll be a good spot for the 385...hmmm.

SUT-UP
04-23-2012, 03:14 PM
When I bought the Hummer for the week before I took delivery on it I had three pictures: Side, Rear, and Dash. The first thoughts in my head were to rip out the on-star for a CB and then in that space above the vent was for a switchpanel, altimeter, and roll over gauge. Just never got to the interior yet until recently with the PA and CB install itch.

SUT-UP
04-25-2012, 03:04 PM
Alright tired of waiting. Where is that thing GURU. Arrive yet?

guruerror
04-25-2012, 03:34 PM
Nope...suppose to be here today. Stay tuned.

SUT-UP
04-25-2012, 03:43 PM
Sounds good. My fingers on the mouse ready to pull the trigger on the 385.

guruerror
04-25-2012, 07:04 PM
The unit just arrived...it looks like a quality product. Has nice weight to it and the handset feels pretty good.

I'll prolly wire it up Friday since I'm off and it'll be 60s and sunny. I'll post back...with my neighbor's comments...LOL!

SUT-UP
04-26-2012, 04:33 PM
Perfect. Let me know if a second 100watt speaker would be necessary. The unit is capable of pushing out 200watts so it's there for a reason I guess. Excited to see. Where are you going with the install? Dash/Console?

guruerror
04-26-2012, 04:54 PM
Dunno about the install location yet. I wanna see if I can get my Bearcat in the OnStar slot (currently blanked out), but I think the scanner is going to end up being too deep. The Bearcat is currently mounted under and to the right of the steering column. If I can get it in the dash, then I'll prolly just mount the 385 where the Bearcat's at now.

BUT, if the Bearcat IS too big for the OnStar slot, I'll prolly just fab a new plate for the OnStar location and try to dash mount the 385.

I want it out of sight, but within close proximity to my right hand so I can hit that siren with a quickness...LOL! WHOOP WHOOP!

SUT-UP
04-26-2012, 06:52 PM
Very Nice. Make sure you shoot some pictures of the befores and afters. I'm curious to see how everything mounts up. Esp where the bearcat is now. That could end up being my alternate CB install location if I can't settle on one that will fit within the Onstar slot.

SUT-UP
04-26-2012, 06:53 PM
Have you looked into the Bearcat's remote control face?

SUT-UP
04-26-2012, 06:54 PM
This might help with your depth issue. Yes added costs.

http://www.scannermaster.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=10-691108&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&gdftrk=gdfV24250_a_7c1511_a_7c5024_a_7c10_d_691108 &gclid=CKPM0rmK068CFQhN4AoduE_hdw

guruerror
04-26-2012, 06:59 PM
AWESOME....(sigh)...except I have a BCT8. :mad:

SUT-UP
04-26-2012, 07:09 PM
It always works out that way...

How do you like the bearcat? Do you use it often?

Any big advantaged to it that you couldn't live without?

guruerror
04-26-2012, 07:17 PM
I like the BCT8 a lot. I had a BC355C prior and it was a bit of a pain to use, because it was difficult to program...but it worked well for an entry level scanner.

The BCT8 was definitely worth the upgrade, mainly because you can program it from a computer and just upload all the frequencies. The clarity and range seems good...no real complaints there. I've got it connected to a 3' Firestick on the rear tire carrier. I also purchased a whip to switch out for road trips, but haven't had a road trip yet this year. I'm sure that will further improve the clarity and range.

Could I live without it?...absolutely. It's great if you wanna know what's going on with traffic or nearby emergencies, but I mostly use it to entertain myself. Some of the stuff you hear when driving through the rural counties is just hilarious.

SUT-UP
04-26-2012, 07:28 PM
Yea. Grew up in the sticks of Pa always had one. Don't think I have much of a use for one up north now though.

guruerror
04-28-2012, 09:10 PM
Very Nice. Make sure you shoot some pictures of the befores and afters. I'm curious to see how everything mounts up. Esp where the bearcat is now. That could end up being my alternate CB install location if I can't settle on one that will fit within the Onstar slot.
Okay...I'll snap some pictures this evening or tomorrow when I finalize the wiring and troubleshooting a problem.

Regarding location...I couldn't get the Bearcat in the dash, its just too big. My "behind the dash" space is at a premium due to other equipment in the truck, so I didn't even try to get the 385 in there either. Instead I just surface mounted the unit on the side of the console...on the carpeted triangular bit just to the right of the gas pedal. This was where my Cobra CB hung, so it was a good location for me.

The unit works great with the slim Carson ("basic") speaker that I already had with the Carson stutter horn. Nice and loud...the neighborhood kids LOVED it. The PA works well too...so far I'm very happy with this unit.

The problem I'm troubleshooting is a blown fuse. Both the 385 and my stutter horn connect to the same speaker. I figured this wouldn't be a problem, but the 385 blows its fuse after 1-2 seconds of siren when the stutter horn is connected. If I disconnect the stutter horn from the speaker (leaving just the 385 connected) I can run the siren indefinitely without blowing its fuse.

I'm thinking I may be able to keep them both connected if I put a diode in the lines connecting the devices to the speaker...dunno, I've gotta research the problem a bit more. So currently my stutter horn is disconnected so I can play with the siren/pa.

If anyone has some insight on what maybe causing this, please chime in.

Pics coming...

SUT-UP
04-30-2012, 03:43 AM
I am glad you are happy with it. I will order it tomorrow morning. I will go with 1 speaker first. If it doesn't get me where I want volume wise. Hopefully the diode solves your fuse trip issue. Can't wait to see pics.

guruerror
04-30-2012, 02:43 PM
I heard back from Carson this morning...I can't run both devices to one speaker without putting a switch on the speaker. That's too much trouble and I really don't want another switch....lol!

They recommended that I remove the stutter horn and use the 385's air horn tone instead. It's got an auxiliary connection to connect it up as a horn too. So it looks like that's the route I'm going next weekend...hopefully it's as loud as the stutter horn. That's a real attention-getter.

SUT-UP
04-30-2012, 03:06 PM
Ah that's a shame. Even the best laid plans sometimes just won't work out. I ordered the 385 today with 1 slim speaker. Went to radioshack for 3 new switches for items; more strobes and auxiliary powerports in the bed of the SUT. Went with the similar low profile black switches. Too bad my 4 corners strobe switch is so large would have liked to switch that one out too but the original hole would be visible. New headlight lenses shipped today. Had to replace them from some rough on-roading. Hit a 55 gallon trashcan at 40. Cracked the grille and shattered the headlight. Grill is going to stay cracked but new headlight was necessary. Went with the Delta replacements. We'll see how they work out. Hopefully the 385 comes quickly, I am def ready for it.

Waiting on Pics.............:grouphug:

guruerror
05-02-2012, 01:48 AM
Waiting on Pics.............:grouphug:
Here's a few to give you an idea of the mounting locations. I still need to neaten up the wiring this weekend when I connect the 385's horn up...and MAYBE vacuum the floormat...lol!

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i271/guruerror/Truck/6d1f6f27.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i271/guruerror/Truck/a51071f1.jpg

SUT-UP
05-02-2012, 02:36 AM
Looks great.

H2005
05-02-2012, 03:18 AM
What is the bottom radio for and the lock below the tow haul mode switch?

guruerror
05-02-2012, 03:25 AM
What is the bottom radio for and the lock below the tow haul mode switch?
The top unit is a Bearcat BCT8 scannnner. The bottom unit is the Carson SA-385 siren/PA.

The lock is actually a keyed switch. It cuts power to the onboard computer system that's installed in the dash...I typically cut the power whenever I drop it off for service to keep the techs from screwing with it.

SummitUp
05-05-2012, 05:33 PM
Using a Cobra CB/PA combo... PA is plenty loud enough for me.

http://i552.photobucket.com/albums/jj360/Colorado_Breeze/H2%20Tech/button1.jpg

Contract_Pilot
10-01-2012, 07:13 PM
My Scanner Install..

http://www.internationalferryflights.com/H2/scanner_hummer.jpg