PDA

View Full Version : (AZHOG) Snow Run - March 18 or 19

Beastmaster
03-12-2006, 01:55 AM
If the snow keeps until the 18th and 19th (Saturday/Sunday), I'd like to see if anyone is interested in going up north for a Stoneman Lake Road snow run.

For those of you who haven't done one before, AZHOG members have gone north towards the Upper Lake Mary/Stoneman Lake Road area in the past, seeking some fun in the snow. The most recent time rendered a bunch of trucks stuck in the snow and ice, making it quite interesting for those people that went out to play.

The short term forecast by the National Weather Service calls for a total snowfall amount of nearly 2 feet by 12:01am Monday, March 13. In addition, there's chances for additional snowfall on Tuesday night, and more chances for snowfall on the 18th and 19th (Saturday and Sunday).

Staging: Staging point is usually the Albertson's Shopping Center - I-17 and Carefree highway.
Staging time: 9am. Departure at 10am.
Communications: FRS Channel 2. 462.5875. No PL, No tone

What to bring:
Warm clothes, spare clothes, water, food (lunch will be out on the trail), blankets, etc. Also bring a tow strap, winch (if you have one), and shackles.

Warning - Winter weather does mean ice and other hazards while driving. Be aware that the trails itself will not pose a hazard if driven properly.

Let me know which day is best.

Thanks,
Steve

Arizona Hummerboy
03-12-2006, 02:19 PM
Steve

I am up for Saturday, but either day would be fine, just to play in the snow.

If we try hard, maybe we can get all the trucks stuck at the same time like last time we did this run. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif FUN FUN FUN

But I will be ready this time, with the Winch & Pul-Pal. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Count me in for this trip.

Dwayne

Beastmaster
03-15-2006, 01:56 AM
Updated:
Okay - the majority of people asked for the run to be on Sunday, March 19th. So, here's the details:

Targeted snow location - Lake Mary/Stoneman Lake Road/Munds Park area
-OR-
When we find it

Staging area: Albertsons Shopping Center, Carefree Highway east of I-17.
Staging time: 9am
Departure time: 10am

Communications: FRS Channel 2, 462.5875. No PL, No tone

What to bring:
Winch (if so equipped), tow straps, water, food (we will eat on the trail), warm clothes, and cameras. This area is prime for good calendar shots!

Current conditions for the Morman Lake area shows 11.5 inches of snow still there. Forecasts show a 50 percent chance of snow on Saturday the 18th, and 30 percent chance of snow on Sunday.

Please note that the area north of Black Canyon City is noted as a Severe Weather area. This can mean slippery driving conditions. There is a forecasted Winter Storm warning for this weekend.

Path we will be taking - I-17 north to at least FR-240, which is the Munds Park exit.

Fuel and food can be gotten at the staging area.

No RSVP's needed! Just show up at the staging area.

See you all there!
-Steve

ROX
03-17-2006, 04:21 AM
OH MAN! I'd love to come back down there! Too dang far!

Have fun! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

p.s. (pics from last trip?)