PDA

View Full Version : AC repair questions

jsbihn
05-12-2012, 09:44 PM
Ok, well the AC is out on the truck.
I went and had it charged, and within a half and hour if that (without the truck even running) it was completely gone.

I talked to one guy, and site unseen, he said it was the compressor. He stated that the GM compressors were known to leak and leak bad (weird, my 99 Vette hasnt had one problem).

Ok, so I am pretty handy with a tool and was wondering how hard it is to do an AC fix. I was wondering if there was any step by step guides or something to help me diagnose the issue and fix it.

If it is the compressor I am wondering, if reman'd units are any good and if so where is the best place to buy them? I have seen them for 150-300 bucks, where a new one is 500-700.

Thanks in advance

LoJac963
05-12-2012, 09:58 PM
I did the entire system on my 06 GTO a while back. Actually not too difficult.

As for compressors I would recommend an actual AC Delco compressor and not going the cheaper route. Its a project I think most people can handle but not something you'd want to do a second time because a reman compressor is having issues.

IF it is the compressor that would need to be replaced, typically you would also replace the dryer and evap core as well as having the condensor flushed-you don't want the new compressor sucking junk into it. You then have to add a specific amount of oil to the dryer/compressor then charge the entire system, check for leaks, temp test, etc.

I did it without ever messing with a car AC system and everything turned out great. My only setback was using an AC O-ring kit from auto zone which were cheap and one was leaking. Replaced with a higher quality o-ring and everything was great.

HUMTECH
05-12-2012, 11:11 PM
First things first, inspect condenser for signs of damage, may have a hole in it from road debris. Inspect all components for signs of leaks, newer units come pre installed with leak detection dye which will show up with a black light. After that and still unable to locate leak take it to an ac shop and have them put a partial charge in system and check for leaks with a leak detector. Spending a little time and money on diagnosis and not somebodys word on it could save you lots of money on a compressor you didnt need

jsbihn
05-13-2012, 01:00 AM
Thanks guys
Is there any guides or how to that would guide me through this?
I tend to be able to do alot when it comes to automotive, but if i have never tackled it before i am more of a show me once and i know it forever type.
(and ummm as you can probably tell I havent ever worked on an AC before)

Like I know the components, but it would be nice to see where they were at on the truck, or where I can place the dye.... and so on.

Any help is appreciated.

glennf1
05-13-2012, 03:11 AM
You did try the $13 can with the charge and sealant in it first right?

LoJac963
05-14-2012, 01:36 AM
You did try the $13 can with the charge and sealant in it first right?

also FYI those cans with the gauge on them aren't worth the crap-there's no replacement for a high quality set of gauges

HUMTECH
05-14-2012, 04:29 AM
13 bucks, yup just remember ya get what you pay for. Fix it right the first time is the best way to go

IRA51
05-20-2012, 12:43 AM
WE HAVE HAD GOOD LUCK WITH DENSO COMPRESSERS ,AS GOOD OR BETTER THEN GM.DENSO Part # 4710316

draconianruler
06-09-2012, 07:02 AM
Make sure to check all your lines and condensor for leaks. I found out my condensor was leaking in the corner. It was hidden so you couldn't really see it with the black light. Only managed to find it with a leak detector that sniffs the air. Also, if you go the sniffer route the foam used to seal the ducting will set it off if you touch it.