PDA

View Full Version : Relocate Rear Licence Plate

NIK1
05-15-2012, 08:54 PM
My 09 H2 was bought with the rear tire carrier removed.Clean look at the back.I just got the truck last fri,and noticed where they put the licence plate,the right back tow hook bolt completly blocks the first letter of the licence plate.I told the sales guy that is a good reason for a cop to pull you over for that.He then said the owner of the GM dealership bought the truck for himself in 09 and removed the spare tire carrier from day one and never got stopped by the police ever.I am still a little leary of having the plate like that.I live in London,Ontario,Canada and the city cops here just look for a excuse to pull you over.I like the look of the licence plate going in the black center square where the rear hatch release is.Only one thing,just wonder how many H2s that have it back there have a plate light there.Last question is the mounting of it.Do you line it up and just drill plate holes through the gate,and bolt it on.Hopefully someone here that has put the plate there can give me some tips on the best way to do it.Or,is putting the plate in another spot easier.I am open to all options.

guruerror
05-15-2012, 09:30 PM
The models that came with the interior tire carrier had a different rear pocket that had a light. Here's an image of an 05 http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_product=2570217&ukey_assembly=392581&ukey_make=1027&ukey_model=14605&ukey_driveline=0&ukey_trimlevel=0&modelYear=2005

I'd be a little leery about that plate too. They look like aftermarket tow hooks...the stockers would not block the plate as much. If you keep your rear pocket you could just drill some holes and bolt the plate right up...of course you'd be running without a light, and that could be just as risky as blocking the plate with that massive bolt.

LOL...decisions, decisions...

fyr145
05-15-2012, 10:47 PM
I did just this to my 07 H2. Mine came with the external tire carrier but I wanted to swich back to the internal spare tire carrier like the earlier H2 models had. So I found the bracket and made the switch. (Best mod i've ever done). I then took my plate and centered it in that area just above the hatch release and it looks fine. I havent finished up this project yet with the light. I do have a small LED strip that takes 12 volts and I was going to mount the LED strip to the underside of the black plate. I will run the wires from the license plate light that inside the right rear corner bumper and fish them up and into the hatch cover. I could also just tap one of the clearance light wires as well. I have yet to be stopped for not having an illuminated license plate light in my town. The cops have other issues more important to worry about it seems.

twr
05-15-2012, 10:50 PM
Hi did you buy that truck in kitchener at Steve Scherer?

NIK1
05-15-2012, 10:56 PM
Yes,Steve Scherer in Kitchener.Do you know anything I should know,since you recognised it.If you do,pm me and let me know..Thanks...

twr
05-15-2012, 11:03 PM
Hi i looked at it about 2 years ago when he had it for sale, they wanted to much at the time. I bought a white 2008 for alot less, it had 20,000 km more on it than that truck did then. I did change my 2008 plate here is a picture it has a bright led light at the top.

twr
05-15-2012, 11:09 PM

Hi the led light is countersunk so it looks factory, also around here if the cop wants to he can give you a ticket for it being cover up abit. I hope you got the spare tire carrier and the spare tire even if you don't use it.

NIK1
05-15-2012, 11:32 PM
Yep.I got the carrier and spare.What a bitch of a heavy piece of iron it was for one person to lift out the back side door without hitting anything.I gotter done though.I must have had a bowl or two of Weaties that morning..Did you mount your licence plate there with the light,or was it already on.I have to move mine away from the tow hook bolt,or the fuzz will nab me.Let me know where you got the parts to hook it up there.I deff like the looks of the plate there for shure.

twr
05-15-2012, 11:54 PM
Hi i installed it myself,i milled the holes for the lic plate and the light at the top. I also used a factory gm weatherpack plug and tapped { soldered} into the clearance lights so if you ever need to change the led it just unplugs, i think it took me about 4 hours start to finish. I bought the led form a local parts store i deal with i can't remember the brand name. Be Glad you got the tire and carrier because it nice to have and cost alot!!!

glennf1
05-16-2012, 02:39 AM
I have the same spare tire eliminator kit and you can remove the bolt caps from the tow hooks and it would make the plate a lot more visable.

NIK1
05-16-2012, 04:02 AM
What about useing 2xSUPER WHITE HIGH INTENSITY LED LICENSE PLATE BOLT LIGHTS .This is there ad:One brand new pair (2 pc.) of WHITE LED license plate/frame bolt lights that produce a super high intensity WHITE LED beam. These bolt

lights fit almost any motorcycle, atv, scooter car or boat. Connects to your license plate lights or any 12 Volt source. Easy installation.

?2 chrome bolts with SMD light(bolt head 1/2 inch wide and 7/10 in length. Threading is 3/5 inches in length. bolt head and threading combined

length: 1.25 inch)
?15 inches of wire (15 inches including LED bolt)
?Connects to any 12 Volt source.I was thinking of getting some of these led licence plate bolts to fasten the plate on the rear hatch black centerpiece.Think this will work.Any ideas..

guruerror
05-16-2012, 01:57 PM
What about useing 2xSUPER WHITE HIGH INTENSITY LED LICENSE PLATE BOLT LIGHTS .This is there ad:One brand new pair (2 pc.) of WHITE LED license plate/frame bolt lights that produce a super high intensity WHITE LED beam. These bolt

lights fit almost any motorcycle, atv, scooter car or boat. Connects to your license plate lights or any 12 Volt source. Easy installation.

?2 chrome bolts with SMD light(bolt head 1/2 inch wide and 7/10 in length. Threading is 3/5 inches in length. bolt head and threading combined

length: 1.25 inch)
?15 inches of wire (15 inches including LED bolt)
?Connects to any 12 Volt source.I was thinking of getting some of these led licence plate bolts to fasten the plate on the rear hatch black centerpiece.Think this will work.Any ideas..
That's very interesting...those would be perfect for my trailer. Nice find!

PaHumBug
05-16-2012, 03:32 PM
I agree you need to move that plate. It looks funny down in the corner with that big empty spot where it SHOULD go.

I used those LED license plate bolts on my motorcycle. I only use one, the first one had faulty wiring so I replaced it with the second one (they come in pairs) and its been working fine for a couple years now.

I would think using a clearance light for power instead of the current license plate wire would be MUCH easier.

NIK1
05-17-2012, 01:30 AM
I found this licence plate pocket on Ebay,all crome for 03-05 H2 Hummer.Here is the item ad..

03 04 05 HUMMER H2 SUV REAR LICENSE PLATE FRAME CHROME Item condition:New.84.00 US.The ad says they have 10 in stock.

Made From Automotive Grade ABS Chrome

Enhances The Look Of Mirrors For A True Custom Look

Perfectly Matches OEM Chrome

Uses Pre-Applied Red 3M Tape For Easy Installation, No Drilling or Cutting Required

Only thing it does not mention if it has a licence plate light.I sent the seller a email to let me know if it does.There outfit is called ZIPMOTOR.

twr
05-17-2012, 02:07 AM
Hi you better ask that guy? i think that is for 3 stick on chrome pieces not the lic plate bucket. I underlined what it says in his listing. Cover/3 PCS set

Style: Chrome Rear License Frame Cover
Color: Chrome Plated
Condition: New
Fitment: 2003-2005 Hummer H2 only (does not fit SUT model)
Package Included: 3 PCS set

Made From Automotive Grade ABS Chrome

Enhances The Look Of Mirrors For A True Custom Look

Perfectly Matches OEM Chrome

Uses Pre-Applied Red 3M Tape For Easy Installation, No Drilling or Cutting Required

NIK1
05-17-2012, 02:21 AM
I think your right,3 piece set.This is the next one I found,2003 2004 2005 Hummer H2 License Plate Pocket OEM new-US $420.00
Condition:

New

Part Brand:

GENUINE GM

Placement on Vehicle:

Rear

Manufacturer Part Number:

twr
05-17-2012, 02:35 AM
Hi around $400 sounds right for the hole bucket. Nothing is cheap for a H2. Just mod the one on your truck and buy a led plate light cheap fix and your done.