PDA

View Full Version : Power washer + Chrome grill

Hellz
05-19-2012, 06:49 AM
So if anyone doubts that a power washer can't strip the chrome off a grill, it truly does work, and does a decent job at it too.

I'll get some pics up tomorrow

I was cleaning the grill in preparation of bed lining it.. Well it must have hit a bad spot in the chrome and popped a good chunk of chrome off. Well my thinking from that moment was... Why stop there!

With time, you can strip the grill 100% with the power washer.some spots will need help peeling the chrome off, most parts the washer does a better job.

Hopefully I'll have a completed bed lined grill by the end of the weekend

[__--MUD--__]
05-19-2012, 02:52 PM
Did it pull off the copper also or just the top layer of chrome?

I used heat to peel mine.

Hellz
05-19-2012, 04:17 PM
the pic should explain better than i can.

the close up pic shows how the chrome will bubble up under the pressure of the water. when you let the pressure work for you, it actually does a better job at removing the chrome as opposed to peeling it off which you see the residue on the full grill pic on the right hand side. the chrome when bubbled up is like a heavy duty aluminum foil.. like a 3mm thickness.
(***Safety part****) it can cut skin.. i got a few nicks, but dont think i would wear gloves even going further. once it is bubbled up, you can tear it or peel it off. be prepared to get wet (duh!)
when it bubbles up, the pressure will cause the chrome to pop. i kinda got concerned thinking it will throw chrome pieces at me and maybe cut, but the sound is the only scarey part. when the chrome does pop, it doesnt actually kick up and chrome pieces.. so no shrapnel pieces to worry about.

after all this, now i am considering taking it to LineX and having them to it which will cost about $150 or doing the rattle can myself.

only reason i think LineX route is because with the chrome removed, it also took some of the rigidity with it ( atleast i think!)
not saying the can wouldnt provide some stability, i just think the LineX would be thicker thus more rigid.

i should have the rest of the grill cleaned up today and atleast a decision by Sunday, and it completed by Tuesday as that is when i get my PCM back from Predator