PDA

View Full Version : play in the rear wheels, what could it be?

TTLex
06-01-2012, 03:41 AM
I was standing on my rear wheel the other day adjusting my GOBI roof rack and I noticed that my wheel was clunking back and forth as though it was loose. I hopped down and shook it forward and backward a few times and you can feel play in the wheel/ hub area. I did it to the other side and it has it as well. Its just the rears, the fronts dont do it.

I checked a buddy at the gym's hummer that stock and his does not do it.

What could this be, wheel bearings? I had to replace one of the front hubs last year, but it was squeeling which is how I knew it was bad. I would have never noticed this if I wasnt standing on the wheel. Also, what are the odds both rears would go at the same time.

Just to be clear, I have a 6" Fabtech lift with keys and spacers putting it at about 8" up and IM running 40's.

[__--MUD--__]
06-02-2012, 05:05 AM
if your **** is that loose, I wouldn't be taking any long trips. If you can rock it w/ your own weight, imagine how much force your rig puts on it turning.

Thats all stock **** on the rear axle even w/ your lift. Most likely rear wheel bearing. Any competent alignment shop should be able to verify that for you. Only thing else I can think of is the clip holding in your axles. Sure your lug nuts are tight and no broken wheel studs?

HUMTECH
06-02-2012, 05:49 AM
Its normal, the larger the tire diameter will translate into more movement from gear lash in the differential and the transmission as well as the t-case. Your buddies truck that is stock will not move near as much due to the smaller tire. Also yours may even move more due to a little wear in the gears if you have more mileage. If you had no gear lash parts would chew themself up in the diff, t-case and trans. Compare to a truck with similar mileage and tire size and ill bet its close to the same

TTLex
06-02-2012, 02:21 PM
[QUOTE][if your **** is that loose, I wouldn't be taking any long trips. If you can rock it w/ your own weight, imagine how much force your rig puts on it turning.

Thats all stock **** on the rear axle even w/ your lift. Most likely rear wheel bearing. Any competent alignment shop should be able to verify that for you. Only thing else I can think of is the clip holding in your axles. Sure your lug nuts are tight and no broken wheel studs?
/QUOTE]

The crazy part is I just drove to VA Beach a week ago, 4 hr trip one way. While I was there I got the truck aligned at the shop that installed my lift, competent shop. They didnt mention anything to me about any issues they encountered. First thing I did was check all of the lugs, they are all good to go.

TTLex
06-02-2012, 02:22 PM
Its normal, the larger the tire diameter will translate into more movement from gear lash in the differential and the transmission as well as the t-case

I hope this is the case, it makes me feel a little better anyhow.

[__--MUD--__]
06-02-2012, 07:30 PM
Its normal, the larger the tire diameter will translate into more movement from gear lash in the differential and the transmission as well as the t-case. Your buddies truck that is stock will not move near as much due to the smaller tire. Also yours may even move more due to a little wear in the gears if you have more mileage. If you had no gear lash parts would chew themself up in the diff, t-case and trans. Compare to a truck with similar mileage and tire size and ill bet its close to the same

If the ass end was off the ground, i agree theres some play...but w/ the weight of the truck on the wheels - being able to move them still, that doesn't seem right. My 38" rears dont budge sitting on the ground. I only have 34,xxx miles. If its a high mileage thing, obviously something still needs to be replaced.

HUMTECH
06-03-2012, 01:07 AM
If i read this concern correctly he is talking about movement forward and backwards and not side to side. If this is true it is normal. If you can rock the wheel side to side weight on or off something is def wrong

TTLex
06-03-2012, 02:50 AM
My H2 has 63k miles on it, about 3k with the lift and larger tires.

To be clear, if I am standing looking straight at the wheel, grab the top of the tire and push it in and out, thats where I feel the movement. Pushing in towards the axle. Its enough movement where you can feel the "clunk".

I actually thought my lugs were loose when I first felt it, but they arent.

jsbihn
06-03-2012, 01:27 PM
Sounds like a hub or shaft issue.

Hellz
06-03-2012, 02:12 PM
sounds like just what happens on the front end when your hubs are shot.. your tires move in and outwards...

only difference is the rear hubs are going to be a little more involved than the front end which = PITA

the good news is that it wont cost you as much as the front hubs will.

just got to replace the bearings in the rear hubs which looks to be around $60