PDA

View Full Version : 50k Service/Trans service

pdxrealtor
06-16-2012, 04:29 AM
I'm at 50k.

This is what I've done or plan on doing. Am I missing anything or is anything overkill?

Tranny service.. I'm assuming I should have the system flushed by a shop... correct?
External Tranny oil cooler
Transfer case drain/refill
Front/Rear Diff drain/refill
Power steering flush -might just suck the old out and dump in some new.. opinions?
Cooling system flush
Air filter
Shocks
Steering stabilizer
Have shop inspect front steering components

I had an alignment at 27k. Do I really need another? Can tire be assessed to determine?

I'm doing my regular things... oil/filter, MAF cleaning/Tbody cleaning, lube front end, rotate tires.

HummerMann
06-16-2012, 12:30 PM
I had my 50k service done at a Hummer dealership several years ago. They recommended the GM anti-foaming additive for the transmission with the fluid change because I did some towing in those days. I flush and change my own radiator fluid every three years. My front end goes out of alignment often and the old lift kit I had on it before I went back to stock, so I have that done yearly. I also put new brake fluid in at 100k. I also had to replace the MAFs and O2 sensors at 92k to pass emission testing.

tiny2012
06-16-2012, 05:21 PM
if you search transmission service,theres alot of info already available.

pdxrealtor
06-16-2012, 05:25 PM
One would think,, Huh?

Not many results for transmission service or any variable.

Thanks Hummerman... for your info. I might end up having to go the dealership for my trans flush.

pdxrealtor
06-16-2012, 06:16 PM
Just bought the external trans oil cooler.

I'm thinking it would be best to install that before the trans flush. Anyone have a different opinion?

glennf1
06-18-2012, 03:56 AM
Definately switch to Dexron VI for the tranny & T-Case. It already has the newer anti-foaming spec, more shear stable, high temp stable, lower pour point, and the friction properties are MUCH better. My truck shifts like butter and the switch.

pdxrealtor
06-18-2012, 03:58 AM
Dex 4 for the transfer case??

I already stuck redline D4 (dex 3 equivalent) in the TC

pdxrealtor
06-24-2012, 09:13 PM
Well I've got most of it complete. Put the new shocks on yesterday. Getting the tranny service and corvette servo done tomorrow.

I'm still waiting on the stabilizer bracket but a side from that it's done.

Really glad I did it myself. Saved a lot of money, know its done right, and know my truck a little bit more.

Damn I want some long tubes and exhaust. And some heads and a cam, larger injectors..... :D

glennf1
06-26-2012, 03:21 AM
Dex 4 for the transfer case??

I already stuck redline D4 (dex 3 equivalent) in the TC

No you should have used Dex VI.

pdxrealtor
06-26-2012, 03:26 AM
The manual does not say dex 4, it says dex 3 or the like with an H specification.

Haven't done any reading about others using dex 4 in the TC. But I did read about a lot of people who put Redline D4 in the TC. Also read about a couple people going back to the GM approved fluid due to the 4 wheel light coming on briefly.

You're the first to say dex 4. Care to elaborate for us?

glennf1
06-28-2012, 03:10 AM
GM doesn't even license Dexron 3 anymore and was replaced by Dexron 6, a huge improvement over 3. 6 is backwards compatable with 3 and GM even put out a bulletin saying 6 should be used in place of 3. Not that the Redline D4 is bad, but the Redline D6 has a tighter viscosity limit and is more shear stable.