PDA

View Full Version : ls6 .heads 243cc

rogco
06-25-2012, 04:29 AM
has anyone done the LS6 head mod the 243cc . if so what did you need to run the mods and yes i know since going that far a good cam is another part that would be going in also .

pdxrealtor
06-25-2012, 04:48 AM
I was reading about heads today. Injectors, water pump, intake and tune are things I read need to be done when swapping the heads.

Humdingah
06-25-2012, 07:18 AM
Why would you bother...outside of a 64cc combustion chamber, compared to the stock 71-72cc combustion chamber, there is no difference. Everything is the same and all it's going to do is bump compression by a point or so (not a .1 but a full point). You'd be better off just swapping the cam and getting a tune and saving the cost of the LS6 heads and with the LS-series a cam swap doesn't require the heads to be removed.

Seems like a lot of cost and work for little gain and having to worry about getting a tank full of bad gas or riding on knock sensors all the time.

rogco
06-25-2012, 01:48 PM
what about the l92 heads the same as the 6.2 heads i hear they make a big difference too but you have to change the intake manifold tho

rogco
06-25-2012, 01:51 PM
i have too take the heads off anyways . i have the famous gm exhaust manifold bolt broken in my heads 2 on the left and on on the right and they are at the back so not really room to drill them out

Humdingah
06-25-2012, 04:14 PM
what about the l92 heads the same as the 6.2 heads i hear they make a big difference too but you have to change the intake manifold tho
That would make a whole lot more sense than LS6 heads...you will need a new intake and rocker arms for the new heads and you'd be better off getting a cam specifically for the rectangular port L92/LS3 heads.

If you're going to the trouble of a head and cam swap the L92s and a cam are the route I'd go.

I researched building everything up to a 427 stroker with the L92/LS3 heads and a Magnusson supercharger. Once I went with the new block, forged internals, stroker kit, heads, cam, headers and supercharger I was well on my way to the cost of a DMax conversion, which is the route I'll be going. Didn't make sense to spend a ton of money on a gas motor that was slower than and got worse gas mileage than a diesel. And diesels make it soooo easy to turn up the power.

rogco
06-25-2012, 11:43 PM
well if i have to yank heads to get those bolts out i was thinking why not put better performing heads on . i just heard alot of ls6 because its direct bolt on but also heard the l92 and they make good power upgrade. now if i did that and cam i would for sure need bigger injectors and run like a kenny bell boost a pump , and a tune of course

H2Much
06-26-2012, 12:24 AM
Just to jump in here, I was also thinking about doing a cam/head swap and upgrading as well. Been in research mode for quite some time now and am looking for the right person to do it so that my time is not wasted in having someone blow my motor. Do you think there is still a lot of power to gain without adding in the supercharger?

In changing out the heads, I'm afraid that I will have to change out the pistons and valves too, so I am just trying to find out how far I will need to go if I decide to get into it.