PDA

View Full Version : shifter linkage issue perma-fix

jsbihn
06-26-2012, 11:50 AM
Hey all,
Well after my initial introduction to this problem 2 months after I bought the truck, luckily I was at a mechanics shop where he temporarily fixed it for free (by taking the worn out grommet and turning it around and put it in backwards), I have been determined to not let this happen again. The truck was engaging the gears just fine so I wasnt really rushing to find the best and cheapest fix........ until.......
I was at the Post Office a few weeks back during a busy time and the grommet crumbles. So now I have nothing to keep the linkage in place. I wedge myself under the truck 3 times before the linkage was on long enough for me to put it into reverse. The only problem was now the linkage slipped again and in the middle of the busy roadway for the Post Office, I am yet under there again trying to make the linkage stay put for a shift into drive. After two times, success. I head to the nearest parts store, which happens to be Advanced Auto and buy a Nylon bolt that has the four clips on the one side that tend to lock it into place (some places my call then Nylox nuts). Great temp fix, since I havent had an issue yet and it only cost me about 35 cents. Ok, but it has only been a few weeks and the thing is you still have the same issue - A plastic (well in this case nylon) piece holding onto the shifter cable which is right next to the heat of the transmission and the heat of the exhaust. So its only a matter of time til she does it again and I would hate to be stranded like that in the middle of no where or have to crawl under the truck in my suit after work just so i can pull out of the garage.

So I created the perma-fix.
It isnt completely finished and when so I wanna try it out (since I have two different ways of connecting this) to see which is better and that it lives up to the name "perma-fix". Plus the nice this about this too is that it is cheap, and doesnt make you buy 125 dollar cable that you dont need just for a 10 cent grommet. In fact I think I have less then 10-15 dollars invested into this, but I bought all new parts to play with so I could just swap (since she is my daily). You guys could probably do it for 5 bucks after i give you the instructions and you use the old parts

When I have it all tested out I will post the answer to GM's little issue that leaves us screwed.

glennf1
06-28-2012, 03:16 AM
Looking forward to it! Keep us posted!