PDA

View Full Version : Steering components help

pdxrealtor
06-27-2012, 05:28 AM
Turns out I need a new Pitman/Idler, and passenger side hub.

Can I go with something like this along with the Cognito support kit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Upper-Lower-Ball-Joint-Joints-Tie-Rod-Idler-Pitman-Arm-/220905209095?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &fits=Model%3AH2&hash=item336ef9fd07&vxp=mtr

Or the other option would be MOOG pitman/idler with Cognito support.

Seems it would be a good idea to just re-do the front end while it's apart, at a cost like the EBAY link would give me.

Hubs- should I just replace both while I'm at it?

I found these both searching the forums and on Ebay-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-06-Hummer-H2-Two-Front-Hub-Wheel-Bearing-Assemblies-/190367504252?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &vxp=mtr&hash=item2c52c9977c

50k on the truck, no off road, no lift, about to get rid of the M/T tires and go back to an A/T OEM size.

guruerror
06-27-2012, 02:17 PM
I did the Cognito UCA and Pitman/Idler kits a few years back after snapping a tie rod on a trail. I haven't had a minutes problem with any front steering component since. Plus it levels the truck and maintains the smooth factory ride.

Well worth the $ IMO...even if you are staying stock and on the blacktop.

Egan
06-27-2012, 03:00 PM
I bought the Moog Pitman & Idler package and the Kryptonite Tie Rods from DMAXstore.com. They said the support wasn't really needed unless I was running really large tires so I left it off for now. I'm putting it all on this weekend so we'll see how it goes.

guruerror
06-27-2012, 04:12 PM
I bought the Moog Pitman & Idler package and the Kryptonite Tie Rods from DMAXstore.com. They said the support wasn't really needed unless I was running really large tires so I left it off for now. I'm putting it all on this weekend so we'll see how it goes.
SIDE NOTE: Kryptonites are awesome.

pdxrealtor
06-27-2012, 06:17 PM
Not looking to level the truck or do anything with upper control arms.

All I need is pitman/idler and passenger hub.

All I'll do is what I need unless someone has some experience on the EBAY items above from Mac, also available at macautoparts.net. ... or the like.

If the parts I'm asking about have any worth at all to them I can't see not doing it all at once.

guruerror
06-27-2012, 06:30 PM
Not looking to level the truck or do anything with upper control arms.

All I need is pitman/idler and passenger hub.

All I'll do is what I need unless someone has some experience on the EBAY items above from Mac, also available at macautoparts.net. ... or the like.

If the parts I'm asking about have any worth at all to them I can't see not doing it all at once.
I obviously misread your original message; I saw "Cognito support kit" and immediately thought of the UCA kit.

Since I don't have any experience with MAC Autoparts...I'll let some else chime in.

Cheers.

EDIT: http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Mac_Auto_Parts
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=mac+autoparts+reviews...lol. Check out the eBay Guides review...hidden insurance fees may apply.

pdxrealtor
06-27-2012, 06:46 PM
:twak: :giggling: Love it

I read for a couple hours last night and it seems you could add the Cognito support kit to a slightly worn idler/pitman, or add to new idler/pitman to prevent from going bad in the future.

Cognito states no need to get beefed up idler/pitman with their support kit.

If these Mac parts are no less quality than what you'd get at your local Oreily Auto Parts store, Nappa, or Pepboys then I can't see why I wouldn't do the entire front end.

That's all I'm trying to determine...

guruerror
06-27-2012, 06:48 PM
I'd be a bit leary of MAC...check out the two links that I edited into my previous post (above).

pdxrealtor
06-27-2012, 07:04 PM
I'd be a bit leary of MAC...check out the two links that I edited into my previous post (above).

Thanks.

I searched around for about an hour earlier today.. trying to find info on Mac Auto Parts. The problem is there is a Mac Auto Parts.COM and another Mac Auto that sells vintage Ford. The latter two yield most of the results. Not much info in forums or in general.

I did read the on at the top of the search you provided, but I didn't see the insurance one, which I find interesting since all their stuff on Ebay and their website is free shipping.

At least the parts I've been looking at. In any event it seems like most of the complaints are shipping/restocking related. A couple of issues with cat converters.

There's some things you can buy cheap and other things you just know not to. Heck, in my searches I read about a guy who was dealing with the Ford dealer and got a parts master wheel hub... from the FORD DEALER. Parts Master is as cheap as they come.

Bottom line is I think I know my answer. I'd be taking a chance with these parts and the quality. I was looking for someone who could reassure me as to just how much of a chance... Nappa Auto brand chance or even worse.

Humdingah
06-27-2012, 07:10 PM
I wouldn't go cheap on the pitman/idler arms or the bearings...a 'lifetime' guarantee doesn't mean anything when you have to deal with getting the old ones RMA'ed and new ones shipped and then installed. 'Free' replacement wheel bearings suddenly end up costing $50 in shipping plus the install cost and/or time.

Most eBay hubs are going to be the Chinese bearing du jour...do a search on eBay front wheel bearings and see if they still sound like a deal. Some have gone in as little as 1,000 miles.

I'd go to Rockauto and get the Moog parts for the front end and spring for either Timken or SKF front wheel bearings (you can find both on Amazon for a few bucks cheaper than anywhere else with free shipping) and replace both of them at the same time. If one is going it's a good chance the other isn't too far behind.

[__--MUD--__]
06-27-2012, 09:57 PM
You guys are all going to bust a nut when you see what I'm having built for an entire steering package between the hubs and steering box. Last part just got powdercoated, should be in my dirty hands 1st of the week.

pdxrealtor
06-28-2012, 01:44 AM
FU*K

I so did not want to hear I needed these parts. AND I so hate to change just these parts without changing the rest.

Brighter side of things I have access to a full lift, press, and expertise.

Uggghh