PDA

View Full Version : winching

unaslob
10-19-2003, 11:22 PM
I was doing some heavy duty winching this weekend, and it left me with some questions. I had to use my winch to pull a couple of fallen trees out of some tricky spots. Normally would have used the chainsaw, but that would have taken forever.. since I was occasionally winching from an angle, the wire got bound up on one side. I dont know what happened, but when I was unraveling to set up pulling down another tree, I noticed the wire had a bit of a bend in it, and at the bend, it the threads were spread out... not shredded at all but spread out a bit. since noticing this, I unraveled the whole line after all of the work was done, I found three or four such areas..I have I nice roller fairlead so I dont think I did it that way. I guess I had some wire overlap improperly. -( is there any harm in doing that anyway) it is almost impossible to prevent. any thoughts or feelings.. una

unaslob
10-19-2003, 11:22 PM
I was doing some heavy duty winching this weekend, and it left me with some questions. I had to use my winch to pull a couple of fallen trees out of some tricky spots. Normally would have used the chainsaw, but that would have taken forever.. since I was occasionally winching from an angle, the wire got bound up on one side. I dont know what happened, but when I was unraveling to set up pulling down another tree, I noticed the wire had a bit of a bend in it, and at the bend, it the threads were spread out... not shredded at all but spread out a bit. since noticing this, I unraveled the whole line after all of the work was done, I found three or four such areas..I have I nice roller fairlead so I dont think I did it that way. I guess I had some wire overlap improperly. -( is there any harm in doing that anyway) it is almost impossible to prevent. any thoughts or feelings.. una

crash
10-20-2003, 04:54 AM
Thats not abnormal, you will notice when its unbound, and you pull hard on the cable, it will actually straiten out. Its when the individual strands start to break that you want to be worried. My cable is shot after about 100 or so uses's, and going with winch rope now...

certified H2 tech.

unaslob
10-21-2003, 10:41 PM
wow. anyone intersted on the differences between cable and rope as far as winching goes... read the above thread...very detailed, and heated at times.
i have seen a couple of guys with larger hooks attached to their cable that have a latch on them so there is not possibility of straps slipping off. I tried searching online, but cannot figure out what the hell it is called. not a carbine hook, strap hook??? any help/ links!!! una

PARAGON
10-21-2003, 11:33 PM
Una,

There is also a good discussion on this forum about cable and rope.

Here is a link to an industrial site that probably has what you are looking for. They also have double and triple pulley snatch blocks so you can lessen the load more at the winch compared to just a single pulley setup.

http://www.versales.com/ns/hardware_index/hardware_index.html